Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 PARA Recruitment

Hello Everyone. I'm 36, already in the Reserves and looking at transferring to C Coy at either St Helens or Altcar as I live in Preston, I'm looking at transferring as a Medic though as I'm an EMT for NWAS in my day job. My question is,
1. I'm guessing 4 Para do have CMTs attached? And
2. For the fitness side of it for your bounty, do they have to pass the medics AFT, PFA, and the new test or do they need to pass at Para standard as they'll be Tabbing and humping kit at their pace in the field anyway?
I'm getting my fitness up there before I put my transfer in so I don't look like a Sack of.... When I get there.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Chris

The_Duke

LE
1. Yes
2. Appropriate to RAMC, unless you decide to go for P Coy in which case you should expect to maintain Inf standards.

There is plenty of real time med cover required, so not every medic needs to be a steely eyed dealer of ibuprofen.

The_Duke

LE
30 seconds on Facebook.

Attachments

• 2709C4EA-B582-469D-8F27-9EC6D7EDC50B.jpeg
    2709C4EA-B582-469D-8F27-9EC6D7EDC50B.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 137

dazza91

Swinger
Hello everyone, hoping someone can give me some advice. I am interested in joining 4 para I’m currently working near rugby but Am from the South Wales area. Would it be possible To join D company in rugby and then tranfer to Newport if I was to go home to work? Thanks

The_Duke

LE
Hello everyone, hoping someone can give me some advice. I am interested in joining 4 para I’m currently working near rugby but Am from the South Wales area. Would it be possible To join D company in rugby and then tranfer to Newport if I was to go home to work? Thanks

Yes. It is perfectly possible to change locations and company.

dazza91

Swinger
what is The process before starting the recruit cadre? I understand from what I have found here that there is 2 a year, I would be hoping to get on the next one in June. would this be possible or does it normally take longer?

The_Duke

LE
How long it takes is very much down to how you fare through the recruiting system. Start now and you should be on the June Cadre - assuming no hiccups on the medical entry standards.

dazza91

Swinger
what is The process before starting the recruit cadre? I understand from what I have found here that there is 2 a year, I would be hoping to get on the next one in June. would this be possible or does it normally take longer?
How long it takes is very much down to how you fare through the recruiting system. Start now and you should be on the June Cadre - assuming no hiccups on the medical entry standards.
Thankyou, I’ve applied this morning, hopefully all goes well

Stepson is in Uni but is looking at the AR.
4Para are in Raglan Bks Newport, however I've been told that this is just an Admin centre. Is there a Rifle Coy/ Platoon there at all.
Not on FB so I can't check.

Apparently it’s a D Coy Platoon at Newport:
with Newport coming onto strength this has added an extra dimension as Rugby/Notts are very close, and some attend both locations due to the differing training days.
D Company has been based in Rugby for almost two years and the increased demand for their unique skills has seen the unit expand with new platoons being established in Nottingham and Newport, South Wales.
@4PARAREG not been on for over a year

Apparently it’s a D Coy Platoon at Newport:

@4PARAREG not been on for over a year
Cheers.
I'll let him know about that then.

So this is quite a long post.

Firstly, I note that there is no direct entry as an officer to 4 PARA like there is for reserve infantry. I believe that potential candidates are selected further down the training and recruitment line? Is that correct? It’s not important to me that there should be an officer route, I am just curious.

Secondly, I note that there are several FTRS vacancies available at the moment both for standard infantry and for 4 PARA. Is there a minimum number of years post P COY or CIC before being able to apply for an FTRS?

Thirdly, linking the two points above, I’ve seen no FTRS jobs for reserve infantry officers (whether para or standard infantry). On that basis, could a reserve officer still apply for a FTRS soldier role if they were looking for full time employment?

By way of some background to this, I was employed and part way through recruitment for the reserves infantry when COVID19 hit. Recruitment is on hold until they can hold assessment days again. In the meantime, I have now lost my job because the impact of COVID19. I guess the point I am making is that, should I be lucky enough to successfully manage to get through all the training in the next 6-12 months and still be unemployed - how east would it be to get on an FTRS?

Thanks very much for your help.

The_Duke

LE
Caveat - I may be slightly out of date.

1. Direct entry officer never really worked well for 4 Para. They recruit officers from within, or accept transfer in if already commissioned officers (subject to courses).

2. No set time, but it will depend on the individual. There is a hard won and begrudging acceptance/reputation which is protected by only sending people when they are ready.

3. No . Officers and soldiers do different things and have different roles and responsibilities. There are officer roles from 4 Para to the regular Bns - if you meet the standards.

How easy? Down to how good you are, and manpower levels in the regular Bns.

Any idea how long the process is likely to take to get from Assessment Day to CIC when the government restrictions are lifted? It seems there may be a backlog of recruits. Just wondering whether realistically assessment day, Alpha, Bravo and CIC could be completed before the end of 2020 if restrictions get relaxed in the next 3-4 weeks? I’m itching to get going.

16/6

Crow
Still waiting for my assessment, was due on the 1st May at Pirbright with the intention of being a full time soldier in the Para reg. Due to certain reasons I now want to change the application from full time to reserve with the hope of joining 4 Para. Do I need to let the Army Recruitment Center know before they confirm another date for the assessment or tell them on the day?

You will get much better advice than from me on here but I am also awaiting to attend the assessment centre and I’ve changed my application several times from infantry officer to 4 Para soldier and now to infantry soldier with no difficulty through my recruiter so I recommend speaking to them first. Everyone in recruitment I have spoken to has been extremely helpful. Just waiting for an assessment day now.

WorstInfanteer

Old-Salt
Do 4 para have support elements at St Helens or Altcar?
I'm 36 and far far far far to unfit to get back into the whole infantry thing, nevermind p coy levels of fitness.
However being attached in a support role would be good considering the varied stuff the regiment get up to regarding exercises etc.
What support roles are available at both locations? And is a 36 to 37 year old going to get laughed out of the building?