Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShortLock

Swinger
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For example: There were 53 Military Crosses awarded to the Royal Marines and 166 to Army (Cav, Inf, support etc..) 53 is 31.93 percent of 166) quite a big number taking into account the size of the corps in relation to the Army. (see attached....)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

53/(53+166) = 24.2%, surely? Still an impressive proportion, but that's just for the Military Cross, which is exclusively awarded for actions on land.

arcticfox042

War Hero
53/(53+166) = 24.2%, surely? Still an impressive proportion, but that's just for the Military Cross, which is exclusively awarded for actions on land.
I stand corrected, maths and English were three things wot I nevar excellllled in at Skool....

arcticfox042

War Hero
In the Air.......One DFC Major Mark Christopher Hammond, Royal Marines, December 2006;[29] previously awarded QCVS for service in Iraq

There were a total of 434 Honours and Awards gazetted to HERRICK; 71 were awarded to those with RM in the capbadge.

Details as follows - award/no. RM/no. not RM

VC/0/3
GC/2/5
DSO/10/46
CGC/12/40
RRC or ARRC/0/16
MC/53/166
DFC/1/30
AFC/0/8
GM/2/11
QGM/0/38

Total/71/363

The % is c16% (71/434 = 16.3%), which feels about right for a 4 Battalion Regiment* in the context of sustained Campaigning.

*40, 42, 45 and 30; you could argue CLR should be in the mix as well.

Join 4 Para, get your wings in a reasonably short time. The RMR training is a long slog with no greatee benefit
How long does it take to get your wings in 4 PARA, on average? Taking in account lost weekends due to injury/circumstances beyond your control, etc.

I'm in a similar situation to TommyAtkins. I'm leaning towards the RMR, however, I'm considering other options.

Incase anyones interested, I think im going for 4 PARA. Thinking about it, I am more attracted to working with 2/3 PARA in 16AA in a FTRS, than I would be in 3 CDO BGD. Being posted to any other units than 40 or 45 CDO doesn't appeal to me. Looking on the FTRS service vacancies, many are for drivers in Commando Logs. Overall the Parachute Regiment appeals more. Thanks again for the help.
I think 40 and 45 Commando are going the way of 42 Commando in the future. The Royal Marines are undergoing a massive structural change in the next few years called Future Commando Force. They're moving away from being a light infantry organisation to focusing on small unit maritime ops/secret squirrel stuff. According to the lads on the PRMC forum, they've been trialling smaller troops like the 12-man ODA format of the US Army SF/Green Berets.

They're apparently all switching to more 'Gucci' gear too. C8/L119 rifles, Crye kit, that sort of thing and want to become all high tech
Someone on here who knows better can expand on it/correct me, but I think the RM are going to be unrecognisable and probably a lot smaller going forward.

Last edited:
Yup. And accept that you will just not be able to get past it with some individuals. Quite interestingly, these won’t always be the “ultra warriors” they would like you to think them to be.
Probably the types who got back squaded in training and took three attempts to pass P Company.

Last edited:
Incase anyones interested, I think im going for 4 PARA. Thinking about it, I am more attracted to working with 2/3 PARA in 16AA in a FTRS, than I would be in 3 CDO BGD. Being posted to any other units than 40 or 45 CDO doesn't appeal to me. Looking on the FTRS service vacancies, many are for drivers in Commando Logs. Overall the Parachute Regiment appeals more. Thanks again for the help.

Are you looking at a list for Army FTRS? Remember you won’t find any RM posts in there.
Also I suspect if you go RMR, a number of opportunities would be in 40 or 45.

Are you looking at a list for Army FTRS? Remember you won’t find any RM posts in there.
Also I suspect if you go RMR, a number of opportunities would be in 40 or 45.
I just downloaded the current FTRS vacancies list from the RN site and went to the RM section. I did look at the army list for para reg vacancies though.

I just downloaded the current FTRS vacancies list from the RN site and went to the RM section. I did look at the army list for para reg vacancies though.

Fair enough. Obviously the list updates quite regularly.

Personally I’d go RMR (biased). It always used to be the case that a great many had their wings too. I don’t know if that’s still the case but it’s entirely possible. Also I think you’d get more variety with RMR.

Fair enough. Obviously the list updates quite regularly.

Personally I’d go RMR (biased). It always used to be the case that a great many had their wings too. I don’t know if that’s still the case but it’s entirely possible. Also I think you’d get more variety with RMR.
Thanks for the advice. I am certainly considering it.

Whilst I have no first hand evidence, I have heard reports that the RMR’s admin is worse than most Cdo Units, which is to say, f*cking awful. Be prepared to be mucked around a lot on your way to Reserve Forces Commando Course, all justified by “do you want your lid or not”?

Whilst I have no first hand evidence, I have heard reports that the RMR’s admin is worse than most Cdo Units, which is to say, f*cking awful. Be prepared to be mucked around a lot on your way to Reserve Forces Commando Course, all justified by “do you want your lid or not”?

Another feather in the cap for the Corps. RM can do shit admin better than everybody else too.

On the PRMC forum, there's a prominent member who gives an honest account of the problems with RMR. He mentions similar things. He seems to think the army reserves have it together more. Just one man's opinion of course.

Latest Threads