4 PARA or RMR

Wouldn't it be more related to where their catchment areas are and where you live?

Wouldn't it be more related to where their catchment areas are and where you live?
Both are literally 5 minutes difference for me. 4 PARA is about 30 mins away on the near side outskirts of the city, and RMR bang in the city centre 5 mins up the road. RMR have new modern facility on the river they share with RNR.

chimera

LE

arcticfox042

War Hero
Utter bollox
So you reckon the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales would not of checked his facts before standing up in the House of Lords and giving this speech and is talking bollox?
He has been in the justice system for quite a few years and will know what ever he states would be looked at very closely, I dont remember any headlines stating "Lord Chief justice talks Utter Bollox"
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 22.29.18.png

Incase anyones interested, I think im going for 4 PARA. Thinking about it, I am more attracted to working with 2/3 PARA in 16AA in a FTRS, than I would be in 3 CDO BGD. Being posted to any other units than 40 or 45 CDO doesn't appeal to me. Looking on the FTRS service vacancies, many are for drivers in Commando Logs. Overall the Parachute Regiment appeals more. Thanks again for the help.

chimera

LE
So you reckon the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales would not of checked his facts before standing up in the House of Lords and giving this speech and is talking bollox?
He has been in the justice system for quite a few years and will know what ever he states would be looked at very closely, I dont remember any headlines stating "Lord Chief justice talks Utter Bollox"
View attachment 465137
Yes. Show me the stats. There were twenty iterations of HERRICK; HQ 3 Cdo Bde led three of them (one of which was almost fully made up of 7 Armd Bde units) and RM Cdo manoeuvre units contributed their fair share across all of those. Do the maths.

One in three awards on the Operational Awards List went to Royal? Just have a look through a few of the lists, which include RAF and RN, and do a few counts. I suspect that the good Lord is quoting a figure out of context.

Last edited:
Incase anyones interested, I think im going for 4 PARA. Thinking about it, I am more attracted to working with 2/3 PARA in 16AA in a FTRS, than I would be in 3 CDO BGD. Being posted to any other units than 40 or 45 CDO doesn't appeal to me. Looking on the FTRS service vacancies, many are for drivers in Commando Logs. Overall the Parachute Regiment appeals more. Thanks again for the help.
Regular Bootnecks are jiffed for all sorts of shit jobs once they're through Lympstone.

Join up as a steely eyed dealer of death and get posted out as a slop jockey or clerk.

Mega.

View attachment 465137
The good Lord Chief Justice is talking chutney.

auggie rock

Old-Salt
Sounds to me like you really want to be a steely-eyed bringer of death more than you want to serve. As already stated you will always get the shitty end of the stick as a reservist and the opportunities for underwater knife fighting courses will be limited. Go into it expecting nothing and don't plan your reservist career path "I am more attracted to working with 2/3 para etc..". Just be the best you can be and stop worrying about what a bunch of knuckle dragging idiots will think of you. Reservists will never be seen as equal and you can do as many tours, win as many awards, perform better than any regular and you will always be a STAB. Just do what YOU want and do it to the best of your ability. Above all, enjoy it.

chimera

LE
View attachment 465137
A couple of quick examples to show my point. A few random Op Awards lists:

Sep 12/Apr13 (40 Cdo deployed): 65 awards (incl MiD) of which 7 were RM, and 58 others (say 10%).

Apr/Oct 13 : 61 awards of which 5 were RM (8%).

Apr/Sep 10 (42 Cdo deployed as a unit) 101 awards, of which 18 were RM, 83 others (17%) .

Even on H5, which was a full 3 Bde deployment, and you might expect Royal to pretty much sweep the board, 19 of of the 46 awards went to non RM.

Last edited:

Faded

Clanker
As a reservist you wouldn't get sent to become a driver.

We've had quite a few reservists join over the last 18 months. Some were mobilised, others joined for a specific exercise.

The good thing about RMR is that you are used to fill gaps within regular units, in other words you'll slot straight in to a regular close combat troop- it won't be the case of RMR London are kept separate. I'm not sure the Army reserve works in the quite the same way with it's infantry (although happy to be corrected).

Last edited:

The_Duke

LE

We've had quite a few reservists join over the last 18 months. Some were mobilised, others joined for a specific exercise.

The good thing about RMR is that you are used to fill gaps within regular units, in other words you'll slot straight in to a regular close combat troop- it won't be the case of RMR London are kept sepereate. I'm not sure the Army reserve works in the quite the same way with it's infantry (although happy to be corrected).
4 PARA works the same way. Anyone mobilised or on FTRS will fill gaps in the regular manning structure. They have not created a formed unit for operations since TELIC 7.

Sounds to me like you really want to be a steely-eyed bringer of death more than you want to serve. As already stated you will always get the shitty end of the stick as a reservist and the opportunities for underwater knife fighting courses will be limited. Go into it expecting nothing and don't plan your reservist career path "I am more attracted to working with 2/3 para etc..". Just be the best you can be and stop worrying about what a bunch of knuckle dragging idiots will think of you. Reservists will never be seen as equal and you can do as many tours, win as many awards, perform better than any regular and you will always be a STAB. Just do what YOU want and do it to the best of your ability. Above all, enjoy it.
Not at all, I just looked at the 2 units and decided based on what I want. Or is that not what everyone said I should do?

arcticfox042

War Hero
A couple of quick examples to show my point. A few random Op Awards lists:

Sep 12/Apr13 (40 Cdo deployed): 65 awards (incl MiD) of which 7 were RM, and 58 others (say 10%).

Apr/Oct 13 : 61 awards of which 5 were RM (8%).

Apr/Sep 10 (42 Cdo deployed as a unit) 101 awards, of which 18 were RM, 83 others (17%) .

Even on H5, which was a full 3 Bde deployment, and you might expect Royal to pretty much sweep the board, 19 of of the 46 awards went to non RM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For example: There were 53 Military Crosses awarded to the Royal Marines and 166 to Army (Cav, Inf, support etc..) 53 is 31.93 percent of 166) quite a big number taking into account the size of the corps in relation to the Army. (see attached....)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

The good thing about RMR is that you are used to fill gaps within regular units, in other words you'll slot straight in to a regular close combat troop- it won't be the case of RMR London are kept separate. I'm not sure the Army reserve works in the quite the same way with it's infantry (although happy to be corrected).
That's why I thought I'd ask on here. As just using open information like that can skew the truth. Thanks.

Latest Threads