Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thecure

Swinger
Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who's been in 4 Para or Royal Marines Reserve.

Currently in my penultimate year at uni, and considering going for either 4 Para Reserve as an Officer or RMR as Private. (I understand you can't join RMR as an Officer. I've got a few q's if anyone has time to answer:

Realistically, what are my chances of making Officer in 4Para? I'd say I'm pretty smart, run a 10min 1.5 mile, 39 pressups in 1 min (I know I need to improve fitness). What makes the difference between an officer that goes to the paras and one that doesnt?

Once a reserve officer how easy is it to transfer to regulars if I decide to go full time?

Finally, any opinions on why RMR as a private would be a better choice?

Cheers in advance

The_Duke

LE
You would join 4 Para as a soldier too. You would then start the commissioning process, but commissioning doesn’t guarantee that you would serve as an officer in 4 Para.

Transferring may be possible, but is far from certain. If you want to go regular, do the full course.

@Thecure
Just as a polite aside; one joins the RM/RMR as a Marine.
The only privates we have in the Naval Service are contained in underwear.

ETA: Beaten to it by milliseconds.

The_Duke

LE
Things may have changed since I was last involved, but the Bn did not have a good record with “Direct entry” AR Officers. They very rarely made the grade yet tended to hang around like a bad smell or occasionally appearing elsewhere in Para Regt kit. The Bn also doesn’t really have the capability to support the process.

The preferred route was for people to commission elsewhere and transfer in, or transfer from the ranks having already proved themselves capable of basic soldiering and P Coy.

The only way to know for sure is to call them up and ask.

Thecure

Swinger
Cheers I'll ask around and let you know if I find out. Aside from that, any thoughts on the London Regiment, particularly their Rifles company? Are they a quality regiment?

Latest Threads