4 para or 4 lancs

Really interested in joining the reserve as infantry unit joining the parachute regiment is somthing ive always wanted to do so I consider 4para as an option But will living in Blackpool be an issue eg: such as traveling for prade nights and stuff, so would it make sense to join 4 lancs as there local ?

Join what’s close to you, it can sometimes be hard enough without adding to those difficulties. You can always transfer later.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
4 para is undoubtedly the better unit, your nearest one is in Liverpool. Speaking as someone who lives over 2 hours from my current reserve unit; doing the long distance commute is ******* shit.

Days when drill nights happen very quickly become a ballache and you’ll rapidly lose interest.

I assume you have a normal day job? Imagine doing a full day at work, then having to rush home to sort your kit, drive 2 hours (more if there is traffic), do a full drill night (3ish hours) then drive another 2 hours home.

In bed by midnight if you’re lucky, then back to your day job the following morning.

Join your local mob.

The_Duke

LE
If you want it enough, do the commute. Yes, it’s a ball ache, but worth it. I was rarely less than an hour from my 4 PARA TA centre, often more - and I was never the person with the longest commute.

If you want it enough, do the commute. Yes, it’s a ball ache, but worth it. I was rarely less than an hour from my 4 PARA TA centre, often more - and I was never the person with the longest commute.
Sorry to hijack the thread, I had a couple questions about how units approach drill night attendance: Is it common for units to have members that rarely come to drill nights but do attend the weekends/exercises? How would a unit deal with someone who couldn't/wouldn't attend many drill nights?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry to hijack the thread, I had a couple questions about how units approach drill night attendance: Is it common for units to have members that rarely come to drill nights but do attend the weekends/exercises? How would a unit deal with someone who couldn't/wouldn't attend many drill nights?
It varies from mob to mob, but as a general rule your first year will be pretty busy. You will have to do phase 1 and 2 training, which basically means you need to be there every drill night otherwise you will miss important stuff.

It wasn’t a rule that was set in stone, but when I joined if you missed more than 2 drill nights in phase 1 you were likely to be off the course. Again this may have just been in my unit.

Once you’re fully trained then it’s pretty much upto you how you make up your days. Again varies from unit to unit, but I definitely knew of guys who’d rock up only at weekends and for annual camp. Other units may be more strict about it.

You’d also get the deployment adicts who might as well have been regulars. They’d mobilise for a year, then spend a few months milling around before mobilising again.

There are also weird and wonderful national units who do no drill nights at all and just get all their days smashed out in a oner or in 2 or 3 blocks.

Best thing is to chat to the unit you plan on joining and see how they conduct business.