4 Para Northern Ireland

Hey all,

First post here, looking forward to the advice I get and information.

I was wondering if it is possible to join 4 PARA whilst living in Northern Ireland. I know the nearest unit is in Scotland, but is it possible under any cirucmstances to train with them.

Cheers.

No, not a wah.

Have set the ball rolling on joining the TA Royal Irish unit here(very early stage), but and increasingly interested in the 4 Para idea- pity theres not a unit in the province that's all.

I know of one bloke who is a medic with 4 para (although still para capbadge) and seving in NI. Does his camp and key weekends with 4 para, but does Trg Nights and some weekends with 204 Fd Hosp RAMC*.

(*When I say 204 it might be 253 or 152 RLC.)

HVM_Boy said:
Hey, who needs detail when you are in the RA!

I enquired about 4 Para from N.Ireland and they told me it was not possible due to the financial cost. Or that if I wanted to do it that I would have to pay for the travel myself. Also about how impractical it was to attend all their compulsary recruit training weekends. If you want it enough it probably can be done but you would end up minus money and a lot of spare time.

high-tower said:
I enquired about 4 Para from N.Ireland and they told me it was not possible due to the financial cost. Or that if I wanted to do it that I would have to pay for the travel myself. Also about how impractical it was to attend all their compulsary recruit training weekends. If you want it enough it probably can be done but you would end up minus money and a lot of spare time.
Yep.

high-tower said:
You didnt expect them to pay for your travel did you?

high-tower said:

HVM_Boy said:
I know of one bloke who is a medic with 4 para (although still para capbadge) and seving in NI. Does his camp and key weekends with 4 para, but does Trg Nights and some weekends with 204 Fd Hosp RAMC*.

253 and he now wears a navy beret

Yes. I did actually as it has been known for people to travel further to their units, and upon finding out they wouldn`t cover the costs I ruled it out. No harm in asking eh?