4 para fitness/ADSC

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by watershed2100, Mar 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there I am looking for some advice, thinking about joining 4 para A Coy. I'm looking for advice on fitness, not a total novice I'm reasonably fit at the moment but i know I`m not at training standards yet. I believe the next recruitment cadre starts in July, also how flexible are they during training with attendance I work shifts in the fire service which can sometimes be hard to swap. With regards to the ADSC what is the stipulation for exemption from that, I have previous military service with the Royal Navy. Thanks for your time lads.

2. If you have no previous service then you will need to attend a TARS weekend. In this weekend fitness wise you wil be asked to carry out pull ups, a jerry can carry (2 20litre jerry cans over 150m at walking pace), 3 "dynamic Strength Test" (a strange back strength test, a pull test from the ground and a clean and jerk type lift of about 50kg I think), then finally you have to complete a 1.5 mile run on as good as flat ground in under 09:30 minutes (make sure your run time good enough as this is probably the most important test carried out at TARS).

Once you have done that and start your cadre then concentrate on body weight exercises and functional fitness. No need to do any specific isolation exercises or heavy weights. Sort yourtself out with some circuits that you can do, don't even need to be a gym member as you can do body weight exercises anywhere (squats, press ups, sit ups, burpees, lunges etc... loads to be found online and getting yourself a medicine ball will open up a few more options).

Also get out and run, no need to do marathons look at middle distance area and don't be shy about hitting the hills either incoroprated into your run route or specifically for repetitions (sprint up, jog back down) and don't be put off by the weather, still get out and train as you will end up getting cold, wet and tired anyway! and if you get to CIC/P coy stage Catterick isn't dry and warm!

You will be told that your bread and butter will be tabbing, so on your weekends you will nearly always do at least 1 tab, progressing in difficulty. I wouldn't suggest loading yuorself up with weight until the PTIs have taken you through a couple to avoid injuring yourself needlessly (once again, running hills will help a lot with leg strength)

There is a member on here who will be able to help a little more if you need it or point out any shortfalls in my post (The_Duke IIRC).

Edit : Due to spelling.

3. When I was at selection, a few of the younger and thinner guys failed on the 55kg lift. Remember, do not stop half way and rest, do it as one continuous movement from the lower knee to the top of the shoulder.

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The sneak is pretty much on the money concerning fitness training. As far as attendance goes, you need to make all of it, or very, very close to it. The training objectives are covered over the 9 weekends and intervening Tuesday nights in a very tight schedule. Miss too much training and you will miss too many TOs. Do that, and you will not meet the training standards required.

From my experience, anyone who misses more than one weekend has too much catching up to do, and has a greatly increased risk of failure.

Good luck.

5. many thanks guys

6. ADSC passed run time of 9.25.

7. Edinburgh or Glasgow mate

8. I've got my claws into him already Spenny old son!

See you soon for that pint

9. Alright mucker - beat me off the starting block again eh!! :D

Definitely beers up soon mate. Im starting in about 90 mins if your in town later!! 8)