4 Martens in roof, help required

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Aleegee1698, Jul 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of my customers has 4 adult Martens in the roof, (between the plasterboard and the roof-tiles, not in the attic). They have been trying to remove them for the last 2 years, have used a cage-trap with eggs inside, had vermin control round etc, to no avail.

The Marten is a protected species, however, the family are woken every single day at 0200hrs to the sounds of these gremlins going about their work. They were spotted yesterday at 2130hrs, all 4 of them leaving the roof in single file, I imagine to go on the prowl.

Short of de-tiling the roof, how can we humanely catch them and re-locate?

I have thought of getting the Weihrauch/snares/poison out but would like to avoid this if possible.

Any ideas appreciated

2. If one is called Tony, be very, very careful.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Find where they leave from, and block it off while they're out? Possums present similar problems here; it's a viable solution, if you can get access to the roof safely.

4. Yes mate, but the roof is in a desolate condition, without exagerating there are another 50 possible entrances that they could use. That is exactly the problem, the roof needs re-tiling!

5. Re-tile the roof then.

And if not, with that many holes in it, it's the Martens or it's the rats they are currently eating. Which would they prefer?

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think you just answered your own question in a "How can I sort out this hole in my driveway without filling it in" kind of way....

7. Set fire to the roof ... that'll learn 'em.

8. Agreed (and with PF), but this does nt alter the fact that these 4 Martens need to go, now. We are well aware that the roof is the root of the problem, being a Mansard roof on a 1910 house they need 40-60k for total refurb. Everytime we attempt to replace ill-fitting original 1910ish tiles, they still manage to get in.

I know its closing the paddock gate, but lets leave the roof aside.

How can we remove them?

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Try putting a radio in the attic with non-stop Amy Winehouse coming out of it - its driving me out of the house so it might work on them....

• Like Like x 2
  10. You can't, legally. They're protected for a reason, and it may even be unlawful to exclude them from the roof by sealing up the gaps. That is certainly the case for bats.

Your best course of action is to find the animals a more desirable residence nearby and hope that they move there. A nesting box on the outside of the building near a heat source, and supplied with food parcels, would probably do it.

11. FFS I just got that. Just gobbed my tea out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Slightly off the topic of removing the martens: our local martens ("fouines'', in French) - also living in the roof and over the garage - have a penchant for brake fluid.
    Everybody in the village has found the same thing, so the local garage owner conducts regular checks of condition of brake hoses to see if they are being got at. He also whacks over a couple of layers of insulating tape as extra protection. Little buggers have chewed off the top of the car antenna, as well.

13. Ah yes, the 'protected species that's driving everyone around the bend' problem. Crows, possums and bats are protected here, in plague proportions, and cause similar problems.

The possums wreak havoc on balconies (like mine) and the crows are literally deafening. However, the bats have recently resumed their previous practise of killing increasing numbers of people and horses with Hendra virus. The greenies still refuse to countenance culling (they're not the ones being infected, you see)

Since suppressed firearms seem to be commonplace in the UK, and that 60,000 pounds' worth of re-tiling equates to around 15k per marten, I'd suggest that 4 .22 'Z' rounds fired from a suppressed rifle, under cover of darkness, is the only viable option.

Edit; having said that, if you TXP the present ones, what's to stop more taking their place?

14. Just mentioned this to the Father in law and he says baited mouse glue on a bit of card. Apparently he reckons its the best way to get rid of any pest, bird or rodent.

15. Next question has got to be; Where do we get 'Mouse Glue' from?