4 Log Sp Regiment visit

Discussion in 'RLC' started by jaygee, Feb 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, i have been offered a place to go on a Corps Orientation Tour with 4 Log Sp Regiment in a few weeks time, would any of you be able to shed some light on firstly what is involved on this tour, and secondly, due to the fact that 4 Log Sp Regiment don't have a page on the main RLC army page, what do they do etcetera.
    Cheers, Jaygee

2. PM me for details. If you are interested in joining the Corps, the COT is a good way of seeing, at first hand, many of the Corps' capabilities and, critically, you can interact with the soldiers and get a 'no shitter' from them as to how good or bad they think things are.

4 LSR provides 1st and 2nd line support to a fighting formation, that is to say both general and close support (generically no different to 1,2,3 or the forthcoming 12 LSR Regts RLC). Very busy; training and operations supported almost all the time. Op tours are in the pipeline and lots to do.

Good luck!

SS

3. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

Good general description/overview except that the Regt provides first line support to its self and second line support to their dependent Brigade

4. Yeah, I suppose you're doctrinally correct but you weren't on Ex LL last year, where 1st line sp was provided (a little). 2nd line sp is the order of the day. The general support bit is also 2nd line, unlike the GS regiments of old, which were 3rd line beasts. Whole different ball game now....

5. You comment on doctrinal accuracy and then refer to the old GS Regts as 3rd line. Me thinks you need to do some homework.

6. Well there the thing commeate old boy.
    RLC doctrine. hmmm.
    Finally we have a doctrine that actually reflects what we do. The whole CS, GS thing looked great on paper, but on every operation we formed composite Sp Regts. So now we have formalised it. But the change is slow.
    MK2 still teaches the old concept. Most Regts are only just Exercising in the new role.
    Although we are now called LSRs, there are Close Support and General Support roles within this. Other wise everyone would be at the same echelon.
    So I would cut Scran some slack, seeing as he has first hand experince of an LSR.

1st line support to yourself? Isn't that called the RQMS/SQMS?

7. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

Yeah but were do you look apart from the odd smattering in the spunkstainer were can the average bloke find out.

At present development is moving far faster than doctrine

Mind you the 2IC/RTO should have spread a smattering down the COC, especially as this is the regiment new role.

8. Homework be fcuked. GS Regts were 3rd line. LSR is a different doctrine. Commeate, now you show me something.

9. ARRSE!

The GS Regts provided 2nd line sp - I spent 4 yrs in one.

The CS/GS concept was maintained, despite a number of composite Sp Regts being formed for Op Tours, because defence planning assumptions required us to sp large scale ops and this structure was the most efficient.

When the Defence Planning Assumptions changed, so the LSR concept developed. It takes time for the doctrine to catch up - but the CONOPS provides a suitable start point, with the lower level technical doctrine not significantly changing.