4 lancs

Morning all,

Looking for some info on 4 LANCS (D COY) in regards to re-joining the TA.

I passed CIC (PARA) in 2009 but failed P Company. Due to work commitments and the injury itself, I didn't attend for a few months resulting in 3 discharge letters followed by Discharge in March 2010.

Does anybody know if it is possible to do any kind of fast track re-enlistment? Before the above I also served in a corps for a couple of years, meaning I did CMSR 2007 and CIC (PARA) 2009. Would this be taken into consideration?

I'm also after some gen from anyone at said unit in terms of deployments, If i re-join now is it likely I'll get on Herrick next year? I've heard about the DIE weekends which I should be able to get done in a shortish amount of time (12 Months?), but I'm sure like all units they'll be blokes who have been waiting to get on tours for a while longer than me, or am I completely wrong?

Any info is much appreciated.

Cheers.
I think you should form a Militia made up of all your "sorts" who "due to many reasons" (normally caused by other people), who have missed their calling due to commitment being required for longer than it takes to gather some "action dits" and a shiney thing to show you have done your bit. You can include the "mid life crisis group" Oldcnut (oops oldcolt) springs to mind, other wasters are available search for "quick route" "fast track" and "comprehensive list of courses for TA" for recruiting purposes.
Book up a charter with Easyjet, gather your troops that bring their own uniform/rank weapons of choice and job role title etc....Militia being multi skilled you can call it the Para Commando Sniper FAC bedding storeman non commitment join when you want and leave when you feel like it Brigade. No admin training or anything else to slow you down from "getting to the action" and you'll be surounded by like minded Warriors, not fannies governed by rules regulations.

Just a thought:thumright:

PS Any MP's (not monkeys) reading this it could be a great way of beating the cuts, Elite fighting volunteers with no wages medical costs/wages or pensions! Winner.

You came up with all of that simply because the word PARA is mentioned. Well done, you are a twat.

I failed P company, I wasn't fit enough at the time and that's that. I fail however to see how that makes me some kind of Walt as it seems you're suggesting. As for 'commitment being required for longer than it takes to gather some "action dits" ' Well **** you. I spent nearly three years in the TA as a motivated individual doing everything that was required of me to deploy, only for blokes who had joined 18 months after me to be deployed as they'd served for a couple of years a decade or so ago. Every single one of my course reports were, I'm told at least, pretty good.

When I first joined I attended everything I needed too and volunteered for as much as possible and got nowhere, despite having done everything asked of me after two years (after being told i'd be on the next Herrick) I was told my name didn't get drawn and 'better luck next time'. Not wanting to wait another 18 months just to find out if i'd been shortlisted, Is it any wonder that I went elsewhere?! 4 PARA seemed the obvious route, but as stated, I wasn't fit enough and it left me with an injury that needed time to heal. I then realized that I'd been ******* around doing courses for nearly four years and hadn't deployed yet, so decided to focus on getting a descent job.

It pains me to have to justify myself to the likes of you, the patronizing tone of your post suggests you see yourself as some sort of Ninja Guru who pisses liquid Gold. I however.....
I feel safe in the knowledge that you are around.

I can sleep soundly at night, knowing that you are out there doing your bit.

Are you my Mummy?

I'm ex reg (9yrs infantry) currently in the TA,i know a few lads in 4 lancs and they prefer to send ex regs on herrick,mainly because they have more than likely been before,if you are so "committed" why not join the regular army? i've done herrick twice and worked along side TA soldiers,who,to be honest were just not good enough,some couldnt even handle stagging on or manage the most basic tasks like keeping their gat clean

I feel safe in the knowledge that you are around.

I can sleep soundly at night, knowing that you are out there doing your bit.

Are you my Mummy?
Oh good, everybody's been let out for the day....

If there actually are any grown ups on this site, specifically from 4 LANCS, would you be so kind as to answer my questions...

You came up with all of that simply because the word PARA is mentioned. Well done, you are a twat.

I failed P company, I wasn't fit enough at the time and that's that. I fail however to see how that makes me some kind of Walt as it seems you're suggesting. As for 'commitment being required for longer than it takes to gather some "action dits" ' Well **** you. I spent nearly three years in the TA as a motivated individual doing everything that was required of me to deploy, only for blokes who had joined 18 months after me to be deployed as they'd served for a couple of years a decade or so ago. Every single one of my course reports were, I'm told at least, pretty good.

When I first joined I attended everything I needed too and volunteered for as much as possible and got nowhere, despite having done everything asked of me after two years (after being told i'd be on the next Herrick) I was told my name didn't get drawn and 'better luck next time'. Not wanting to wait another 18 months just to find out if i'd been shortlisted, Is it any wonder that I went elsewhere?! 4 PARA seemed the obvious route, but as stated, I wasn't fit enough and it left me with an injury that needed time to heal. I then realized that I'd been ******* around doing courses for nearly four years and hadn't deployed yet, so decided to focus on getting a descent job.

It pains me to have to justify myself to the likes of you, the patronizing tone of your post suggests you see yourself as some sort of Ninja Guru who pisses liquid Gold. I however.....
Walt was your word not mine. So basically your saying your commited, but due to everyone elses fault (older boys jumping you to deploy, COC failing to let you go, not winning the "deployment lottery" ETC) and you failing due to injury that then stopped your commintment rather than "fighting through", (obviously 4 Para's loss) you decided to not bother until they discharged you, the heartless swines. Instead of focusing on a "descent job" (looking for descent and ancestry?) maybe the regulars could have been a quicker option for a deployment, or is that below you on the decent jobs front?

Not a Ninja Guru but not a wrap artist either, no need to "pain yourself" the likes of me Don't really give a **** about the likes of you.:thumright:

Oh good, everybody's been let out for the day....

If there actually are any grown ups on this site, specifically from 4 LANCS, would you be so kind as to answer my questions...
They probably would, if you hadn't chucked your teddy out, and got a touch of tourettes on your second ever post.

i know a few lads in 4 lancs and they prefer to send ex regs on herrick
True, TA Lancs have a high risk of getting caught thieving, regulars get away with it.

On the other hand. The original poster needs to pop into a TAC and ask. He seems to be a fully qualified TA infantryman, not sure how long these last 3-4 years??

To answer your question No there is no fast track route in.

As you have had prior service your recruiters will have to send off a special enlistment request to Glasgow APC and that can take months. They may not even give you approval if they have doubts arising from your previous service. This has happened with a few ive seen recently. You will also have to pass a medical which will focus partly on your previous injury.

As you passed CIC within the last 6 years you may be ok to miss phase 1 but i would recommend refresher training..

I would be reluctant to put you forward on Herrick training for at least 8-12 months until you had proved yourself. Your previous TA service hasnt shown much in the way of committment so far so i would question your reliability. I accept you were injured on P Coy but you are allowed 3 attempts. Why did you give up?

Lastly I happen to know the recruiting team very well in 4 Lancs. They know what theyre talking about. Why not ask them?

if u wander in the TAC and show an overly keen interest in deploying u may send out the wrong signal!!!! best to wait to be offered or asked if you would be interested. If you put in some time and you aren't shite,you'll more than likely be asked

fusilier50 that is a great way of putting it, without resorting to my little jaunt down the "sarcasm" road.

I dont understand how anyone who has been in TA for 4 years hasnt been given the opportunity to do a tour? Being selected for a tour isnt a lottery and your name didnt have to be drawn. Its who is available, who can take the time off work/family etc and who can pass the selection process in order to go. They put forward far more individuals than are required because the system weeds out the sick lame and lazy. I dont believe your unit would deliberately overlook you if there wasnt a good reason for it.

To answer your question No there is no fast track route in.

As you have had prior service your recruiters will have to send off a special enlistment request to Glasgow APC and that can take months. They may not even give you approval if they have doubts arising from your previous service. This has happened with a few ive seen recently. You will also have to pass a medical which will focus partly on your previous injury.

As you passed CIC within the last 6 years you may be ok to miss phase 1 but i would recommend refresher training..

I would be reluctant to put you forward on Herrick training for at least 8-12 months until you had proved yourself. Your previous TA service hasnt shown much in the way of committment so far so i would question your reliability. I accept you were injured on P Coy but you are allowed 3 attempts. Why did you give up?

Lastly I happen to know the recruiting team very well in 4 Lancs. They know what theyre talking about. Why not ask them?
Thanks for the info. I think you've pretty much cleared up everything I was unsure about so much appreciated.

I don't want to send the wrong impression, I'd expect to have to prove myself after re-joining before being put forward for Herrick training. And to answer your question reference P Coy, I was simply offered the chance to work for a good company with a high wage and couldn't continue to meet the commitment. However currently I have plenty of spare time and really do miss the TA.

Also why does expressing an interest in deploying not go down well? It's the main reason I joined in the first place and surely most peoples aim?

in my very limited experience with the TA,its usually the walts and ******* who come to the unit with the sole purpose of doing herrick,it's usually the decent,sensible,well balanced guys that get taken seriously

In your original post you state that there were 3 discharge letters.

Were you too busy to give 'em a bell and let them know the Bobby Moore?

That's why you're posting here. It's a little recce for you to gauge what they'll say about why you couldn't be arrsed to sign off in a civilised manner before.

Isn't it?

Or have I got it all wrong?

I dont understand how anyone who has been in TA for 4 years hasnt been given the opportunity to do a tour? Being selected for a tour isnt a lottery and your name didnt have to be drawn. Its who is available, who can take the time off work/family etc and who can pass the selection process in order to go. They put forward far more individuals than are required because the system weeds out the sick lame and lazy. I dont believe your unit would deliberately overlook you if there wasnt a good reason for it.
Well when I first joined I was told I could deploy 18 months after CMSR, the unit then re-rolled and I was told (rightly so) that a few more experienced members of the Squadron would fill the IR roles and that we would all need to do various courses spanning another 18 months or so until we were fit for our new role of watching computer screens. I then transferred, got injured and focused on making some money. No more to it I'm afraid.

In your original post you state that there were 3 discharge letters.

Were you too busy to give 'em a bell and let them know the Bobby Moore?

That's why you're posting here. It's a little recce for you to gauge what they'll say about why you couldn't be arrsed to sign off in a civilised manner before.

Isn't it?

Or have I got it all wrong?
Pretty much, It's not hard to figure out is it. I've been 100% honest with everything I've posted and I'm just trying to get a heads up on whether or not I'm going to have any problems re-joining.

And yes I did call them, a few times, they asked me to come in on a certain date, I told them I couldn't make it and the letters arrived.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
swordman Sappers 0
PreachersDaughter Infantry 0
haggishacker Military History and Militaria 0