4 June 1989 - Tiananmen Square, Beijing. PRC. Worth Rememering.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BuggerAll, Jun 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's the 24th Anniverasy of the events that took place in China and in particular Tiananmen Square in June 1989.

It may be corny but it's worth reminding ourselves that freedoms not free. Most of us who enjoy freedom have not had to pay the cost. We should remember those that have and those who still don't enjoy freedom.

[​IMG]

On a lighter note this image is doing the rounds, apparently it was designed to beat PRC censorship:

[​IMG]

That's the PLA ducked then!

2. Brave chap when you think of it, I believe he was executed?

3. BuggerAll

I believe his fate is unknown. So says wiki so it must be true.

I think the fact that no one has credibly claimed to be him suggests it wasn't a happy ending.

4. Another 'Tank Man' photo. One I haven't seen before:

Terril Jones â

Balls of steel - Always wondered what was in the bag. Maybe the tankies were wondering too.

At the time it looked to me like he was on his way home from Tesco's.

5. Is 'chink' an appropriate term in this forum?

6. Yes it is = who the **** are you? Are you getting hot under the collar? PC is a personal computer. Or are you assuming he is a racist because he used a word YOU don't like?

Option 1 - disenage from this particular thread.
    Option 2 - Grow up and stop taking offence for 1.1 billion people. They despise you anyway - the Chinese don't like soft *******.
    Option 3 - FOAD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No it's not, people have been banned for using C**n and Ni**er, Ch*nk is no less offensive.

8. Really? Well I'll be damned. I must redeem myself forethwith. Sorry is damned an offense to your ears as well? We are talking about a bloke with cojones (have I upset the cojons?) who stood in front of a Panzer (German - Armour - are the Panzes now upset?) column in Tianenman Square and you get upset at the UK colloquial for Chinese when it wasn't meant to be abusive or racist?

Get a life you saddo.

9. BuggerAll

Its all in the eye of the beholder. When Frayser Boy sings a song called Niggas In Da Hood I suppose it must be alright but then again I would commonly use Gwei Lo to describe myself and other white folk but I have been annoyed when I've heard people use it as a term of abuse.

I suppose it all about respecting people either as individuals or collectively. Its easy to dismiss it as unimportant if you're not the victim.

I'm reading the Bernie Gunther novels at the moment that touch on the holocaust. I suppose its possible that calling some one a chink, nigger, glei lo or yid is the thin end of the wedge that can lead to them being considered as untermench deserving of a final solution.

10. It's not in anyone's eye now.

11. According to the Pinyin dictionary, there was a historical character named Jing Ke. Perhaps this might be a suitable substitute for chinky?
    "荆轲 Trad. 荊軻
    Jīng Kē
    Jing Ke (-227 BC), celebrated in verse and fiction as would-be assassin of King Ying Zheng of Qin 秦嬴政 (later the First Emperor 秦始皇)"
    link qin ke | Definition | Mandarin Chinese Pinyin English Dictionary | Yabla Chinese

• Like Like x 1
  12. Would Guy Gibson get banned?

13. There may be a chink in the armour...:rofl:

14. BuggerAll

As I say it's easy not to be offended when you're not the 'victim'.

Some soldiers don't like being called squadies by civilians.

Anyway I understand that there are massive demonstrations planned in HK to commemorate and to continue to show disapproval of the PRC leadership.

That they are allowed to is at least a demonstration that Hong Kong is still a reasonably free place. When people are allowed to in China things will really have moved on.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

15. Amazing! The thread is about a bloke who stood up to the Chinese Government and most of the posts here are about something other than that. Now we are extending this to the Holocaust. Sweet Jesus.