4.85x49 Moth killer cartridge.....hoard found.....

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by plunderer, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some of you older folks will remember the late 1970's, when the British gubmint experimented with a military cartridge even smaller than the present mouse-killer - the 4.85x49.

Read all about it here - 4.85x49mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An RFD friend of mine has found a box of twenty of these rare little items, as much part of British
    military history in their own way as the other lost cause round, the .280 Enfield.

Anybody interested in acquiring one for their collection - inert, of course - please PM me for details.

tac ​

2. Gone, thank you.

tac

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Damn, damn, damn and double damn. Missed it

4. Alors, I am being kind, you understand. Please read your PM.

tac

Merde!!! For some reason, I am unable to send anything to your PM box, please call me as soon as you can.

Now is good.

MY PM box works.

tac

5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Just read the Wiki. How the hell does a bullet that small have armour piercing capability? Wordsmith

6. Body armour at CBQ ranges?

Ah, 3197 fps and 2785 ft lbs will do it.

Easily.

Maybe not at 600m though.........hmmmm.

That's why I like the .50BMG.

tac

7. Depends on the diameter of the links in the chain mail...

• Like Like x 1
  8. If XL1 was ball and XL2 was tracer, what was XL5? Incendiary?

9. You'd have to ask Steve Zodiac about that!!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Ah - sort of armour-piercing lite... Back in my tungsten producing days I was aware of the technicalities of an anti-tank penetrator rod and indeed discarding sabot sniper rifle ammunition. I just didn't see how anything as tiny as a 4.85 mm round would carry enough kinetic energy to go through anything serious. Cheers, Wordsmith

11. And yet the MP7 uses a 4.6 to penetrate CBA. Even smaller so they must have been onto something. That said the opinion on the MP7 is very mixed.

12. Aah, 4.85mm. A calibre from the days in which "terminal ballistics" was reduced to just residual kinetic energy and the NATO helmet penetration test.

Btw, these tiny calibres penetrate Kevlar because they are small and pointy, so part the fibres rather than get caught by them.

13. Yup. Fireball

• Like Like x 2
  14. IIRC longbowmen where equipped with 'bodkin' arrows which despite being small calibre where capable of piercing the armour of the day

15. But to be fair, a magazine of 30, yard long, rounds, however thin, would be hard to reload with even in lab conditions.