4,000 more troops to stem Baghdad slaughter

While we watch the carnage in Lebanon, let's not forget the wholesale slaughter in Iraq...

Daily Telegraph said:
4,000 more troops to stem Baghdad slaughter

The new Iraqi government is to bring 4,000 more troops - including an American brigade - to Baghdad to bolster its faltering security plan, which has failed to stem mounting bloodshed in the capital.

The reinforcements, announced during a visit to London by the Iraqi prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, amount to a recognition that, with deaths running at about 100 per day, the two-month-old government has failed in its first objective, which was to secure the capital.

According to the United Nations, 5,818 civilians were killed in Iraq in May and June, at a time when some areas of Baghdad were subject to sectarian cleansing. There is now talk of partitioning the capital between Sunni and Shia Muslims.

Full text here: 4,000 more troops to stem Baghdad slaughter
I guess Lebanon really has helped the US in some small way - it's got the bad news from Iraq off the headlines....

I guess Lebanon really has helped the US in some small way - it's got the bad news from Iraq off the headlines....
Only in the West. The ME press hasn't forgotten Iraq or Palestine. On the bright side there may be a slight delay in recruitment as the previously uncommitted are not sure which extremist group to sign up for.

Latest Threads