Discussion in 'RAC' started by carabinier, Nov 17, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. is there anyone out there still alive who served in the finest regiment in the British army? The regiment amalgamated over 30 years ago with the Scots Greys. I've been trawling the net for the last 12 month looking for old comrades,found some of course but would love to find more.
    To that end i've set up my own site.If anyone knows any ex Carb's or have an association with the Regiment then please check out my website

Thanks and all the best to all
  2. Hello mate, I don't know if you will get this as its an old post, but I have passed on your link to a few old friends. All the best
  3. Thanks for that grey_mafia, hope some of them are ex Carb's.
    since i started the site a lot of ex members have been in touch.
    thanks again and all the best
  4. Guys,I am always on the look out for people who know anything about individual regimental insignia from WW2 - I havve some info about the 3rd Carabiniers, but a couple of specific Qs if I may: Can anyone confirm that a black cloth backing was worn behind the cap badge, and also behind the NCOs arm badge? Was the NCOs arm badge ever worn on KD or Jungle Green in the Far East? And I am always looking for photos I can used in a (to be) published work on the subject. Grateful for any help or leads

5. No probs mate, its definitely ex Carb's I have sent the info onto (Not many of them left i'm afraid) all the best mucker.
  6. I would greatly appreciate any info that any of you fine men have on the 3rd Carabiniers during WW2.

I have recently had my grandads war records back from the MOD and have found that he served with the 3rd in India and Burma in 1944 and had his leg blown off during said campaign.

Any pointers as to where I could gain more info about the Regiment during this time or indeed any info that you may already have would be very much appreciated.

7. I can't comment on the black backing with the 3rd Carabiniers, all I know is that the SCOTS DG, wear the backing behind their Cap badge (with berets) and Rank badge (on service dress, WO's on wrist straps) And I was under the impression this was in memorium of the murder of Tzar Nicholas the 2nd, who was Col in Chief of the Scots Greys. This was before the Amalgamation of the 3rd Carabiniers and Scots Greys in 1971.
    Hope that is of some help!
  8. Hi, would be worth going onto carabiniers website, I think you will find your anwers there. Good luck.

9. regimental archives are kept at Edinburgh Castle, here is the link

I recently visited the new museum and the staff were extremely helpful
  10. Thanks guys; I always find it interesting that the Greys seem to have gained dominance over the Carabiniers, who were the senior regt..! The Tsar story is one I have heard too, and am prepared to repeat in my book! Thanks again

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

What I always found unusual was the large number of sweaties in our squadron shortly thereafter who all seem to have come out of the Greys when the Carabiniers and Greys merged. Better mix with Geordies than Carabiniers, eh?
  12. The black backing and the Tzar story are true. Nicholas was a Colonel of the Regiment (Greys that is).
  13. yep and a while back the regiment went over and re-buried him
  14. While I was at JLR I vaguely remember a troop leader called Spendlove-Brown being in the 3rd Carbs and Ive always wondered what ever happened to him.
  15. scarred4life, when were you at JLR? I know the name well....