3rd Dragoon Guards-1914 (regi. number:9227 possibly?)

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Dave_bly, Feb 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've reposted this from the Militaria forum, in case it gets a better/more knowledgeable response here-

Hello Chaps,

I'm a long time reader of Arrse, but relatively virgin poster.

In the family at the moment we're going through a lot of old boxes etc, and we've got a lot
    of history on a relative who was killed in 1918 but was subsequently awarded the Military Medal.
    (By the way, anyone who's in a similar position; the Commonwealth War Graves website, as well as the National Archives website, are absolutely fantastic).
    Other than that, we've found a bible in which there is an inscription to 'My dear sister, Isobella', dated November 1914.
    Through a process of deduction, this would be from my Great-Great-Uncle. I think it's unlikely that he would have made
    it through the war unscathed (looking at the casualty rates is a very sobering hour or so), but where can I find an account
    of his service? I was thinking through the RDG, but my internet skills are sadly lacking.

The details (that I have) are-

Pte J.W Clegg
    9227 3rd Dragoon Guards

If anyone could help, or even just point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful

Thanks

Dave

2. I believe that the 3rd Dragoon Guards, via the 3rd Carabiers, became part of the SCOTS DG (rather than RDG). You might try their museum which is in Edinburgh castle. I'm sure the Internet will yield contact information.

3. Brave-coward is correct, the 3rd DGs (Prince of Wales's) amalgamated with the Carabiniers and eventually into the SCOTS DG.