3rd Dragoon Guards-1914 (regi. number:9227 possibly?)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Dave_bly, Feb 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Chaps,

I'm a long time reader of Arrse, but relatively virgin poster.

In the family at the moment we're going through a lot of old boxes etc, and we've got a lot
    of history on a relative who was killed in 1918 but was subsequently awarded the Military Medal.
    (By the way, anyone who's in a similar position; the Commonwealth War Graves website, as well as the National Archives website, are absolutely fantastic).
    Other than that, we've found a bible in which there is an inscription to 'My dear sister, Isobella', dated November 1914.
    Through a process of deduction, this would be from my Great-Great-Uncle. I think it's unlikely that he would have made
    it through the war unscathed (looking at the casualty rates is a very sobering hour or so), but where can I find an account
    of his service? I was thinking through the RDG, but my internet skills are sadly lacking.

The details (that I have) are-

Pte J.W Clegg
    9227 3rd Dragoon Guards

If anyone could help, or even just point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful

2. Does he have any m,edals? You mentioned the National Archives, but did you checkl the medal card for Clegg?

Casualty rates for cavalrymen weree a lot lower than for infanrymen.

If he served throughout the war wqith his regiment his war record might have been as for the Regiment

The 3rd Cavalry Division in 1914-1918
  3. Sorry if I wasn't clearer, we've got the details of the chap with the MM. Sent off for his medal card today via the National Archives website (also found out we're he's buried and we are planning to go to over, been talking with the family and we've realised that nobody from the family has ever been over to his grave, which is really upsetting). Clegg is the one who I'm trying to locate details of, thanks for the steer in that direction . I doubt that I'd be able to find an individual soldier's service history, but it'd be good if I could find some details about his regiment's movements.

Once again, thanks for your help.

4. Try searching for "The History of the 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards 1914-18". It was privately printed and quite difficult to find.

Alternatively, "History of the 6th Cavalry Brigade 1914-1918" by Lt JB Bickersteth should be available through the Naval & Military Press.

Or "I Serve" by Lt Col LB Oates which gives the history of the regiment from formation to amalgamation with the 6th Dragoon Guards in 1922, and subsequently up to the 1960's.
  5. You can apply for his service records and if not already claimed his service medals, if you are next-of-kin via the Services Personnel & Veterans Agency,

There is form to download and you have to pay GBP30, for records but medals are free if they have not been claimed (many were not as people felt it unfair that they had to claim / apply for them).

Alternatively you could try:

again you have to pay for membership, have a good look at it first.

Finally if you are getting into the whole family tree thing have a look at:

Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History

They have war records, medal cards and much more.

Any of the above will give you a good background base to work from, then it will be as per Tango's post above reading the regimental history.

Good luck with the research.
  6. The Records Office containing the service records of soldiers from WW1 was badly damaged in the 1940 blitz. Only about 40% of the records survived (my Gt Grandad's was not among them). If you are lucky, as I found with some research I did last year on our local WW1 memorial, you can find extraordinary amounts of detail.

All (or so they claim) of the remainder can be accessed via Ancestry.co.uk, otherwise you'd have to visit the Public Records Office at Kew. If you're lucky, your library service will have a group subscription to Ancestry - using my Buckinghamshire library membership number I can access it from home, for nowt.

On Regimental Nos: there's a chap who blogs online who is a bit of a geniuson thie topic. I'll try to remember to dig out his web address after work.

PM me if I haven't got back to you in a day or so.
  7. I was asking if you looked for Clegg's medal card. If he has war servcice medals with ov erseas service, its likely he served with his unit . UIf there is no record it might be because the record was destroyed. It is also possible that he did not serve overseas. Some soldiers were retained for home serv ice for a variety of reasons. My father's father was a solider in the Great War who was retained by the training organisation because he was a farmer and too useful as a fixer / QM stores type.

If you tell me the details of the soldier whose grave you wish to visit it may be possible to find out a lot more about hsi life before he died. It is easier to trace the story of those who died than the survivors. I can send the reuslts as a PM if you do not want to share it with the rest of ARRSE.
  8. The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

Image details

Medal card of Clegg, John W
    Corps Regiment No Rank
    3rd Dragoon Guards D/9227 Private
    3rd Dragoon Guards D/9227 Private
    Date 1914-1920
    Catalogue reference WO 372/4

You can get 2 weeks free with Ancestry, just remember to cancel before the 2 weeks are up.

He looks to have survived the war, as said above there may be some papers available for the burnt archives.
  9. 3Rd Dragoon Guards were one of the antecedent regiments of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Not RDG)
  10. Sadly looks like his service stuff did not survive, ancestry have the medal card but not much else, unless we know where he was born, when he was born or where he lived on enlistment. Medal card does mention dis: 12/10/1916

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. It looks as if he was in theatre 13 June 1915 - hence the entitlement to a 1915 star. The remarks list could be interpreted as Discharged 12 Oct 1916
  12. That is my take, sadly no direct link on ancestry comes forward for service record, we need more info about DofB, residence etc., medal cards were useless at giving the real info required as it was assumed the service record would be there to check back on. One can assume much from the Dis: 1916 but my assumption would be wounded, but still nothing in pension records that I can link.
  13. Odd thread this one, we post really helpful information and not so much as a thanks or any sort of response from OP. Oh, well, we can at least be happy that we did all we could.
  14. Sadly, despite lobbying, the data on the reverse of medal cards was not digitised when the front "page" were. This information, despite being invaluable to family history buffs, was not considered worth capturing by military historians advising the NA!