3rd chap dies.

Very sad news on local radio - 3rd chap in the heat exhaustion episode dies. I'm sure there will be a media frenzy however thoughts with the family.

3's the magic number. I hate to say it but stand by for a ramping up of press attention.

Word to the wise....don't feed the *blunts.

*Gentlemen of the press.

RIP. Condolences as always to his family and friends.

RIP.

God rest him and the other two blokes.

Mentioned on radio 4 just now. The coroner has talked about 'Duty of care' which is no bad thing if a lack of air transport due to government cuts is highlighted, or anything of that ilk. But I fear that it will bring the lawyers for profit firms and possibly Mr Shiner out in force for a media friendly witch hunt of the wrong people.

RIP and my sympathies to the families.

Thoughts with their family.

I was in the UK during the 2 week "heat wave" last week on exercise & we got blitzed with water parades Jarhead style due to the climate as a duty of care. However:

Training in fully plated up osprey & patrols kitted out in theatre specific kit (ECM etc) in those temperatures blokes are going to be susceptible to heat injury, though as our NCOs repeatedly highlighted it's much hotter out in theatre & you're carrying heavier loads & patrolling for longer stints so the onus is also just as much on the individual to maintain hydration, a personal duty of care not always adhered to (to re-iterate I'm not stating this was the case with the 3 cases highlighted).

Similarly the DS will rigorously teach you ground sign awareness & proper usage of vallon, horn etc for C-IED but blokes' have a personal "duty of care" to maintain vigilance.

I've sort of meandered a bit & realise it's an "RIP thread" but it's a valid point that while the heat injuries are tragic the media etc shouldn't be too swift to blame "the army", "defence cuts" or "the training staff" for the deaths.

Police & HSE getting involved now, unfortunately these guys pushed them selves to the limit, the police & HSE would not understand this element. Having nearly lost my own life doing some arduous training on Brecon, there are certain motivations that cannot be measured by a formal investigation.

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Police & HSE getting involved now, unfortunately these guys pushed them selves to the limit, the police & HSE would not understand this element. Having nearly lost my own live doing some arduous training on Brecon, there are certain motivations that cannot be measured by a formal investigation.
What utter bullshit - what part of carrying 4 liters of water is involved with "pushing yourselves to the limit" SAS is starting to look like Stupid and Stupider.

Oh and "lost my own life due to arduous training" feck off you walting prat.

Last time I walked up that hill (and it was quite some time ago) there were streams of running water coming down it. Refill,pop a couple of puritabs and it's job done.

Mind you the dead rotting sheep lying in the stream 200 yards further up from where you filled tends to focus the mind a tad.

Last time I walked up that hill (and it was quite some time ago) there were streams of running water coming down it. Refill,pop a couple of puritabs and it's job done.

Mind you the dead rotting sheep lying in the stream 200 yards further up from where you filled tends to focus the mind a tad.
I think that was covered by an eye-witness - streams were dry iirc.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Third chap has just been named by the BBC: Cpl James Dunsby of The Royal Yeomanry.

RIP

ugly

LE
Its called an arduous course for a reason but no one should die on training. Anyone recall the naval Divers dying during a mud flat run in rubber suits?
It is difficult to guage heat exhaustion when you are possibly trying to weed out the failures and those suffering are trying not to fail it must be heartbreaking for those involved and the families.
Yes an enquiry will be held and I imagine measures will be put in place but it still is an arduous course and these arent boy scouts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
semper The Intelligence Cell 15
Resurgam Current Affairs, News and Analysis 21
carabinier RAC 22