3rd chap dies.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BryanTheMegalodon, Jul 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very sad news on local radio - 3rd chap in the heat exhaustion episode dies. I'm sure there will be a media frenzy however thoughts with the family.

2. RIP.

Condolences to family and friends.

3. Hammond saying full inquiry to follow. Traning package author balls in a sling I reckon.

4. RIP, sad to hear this news,

5. 3's the magic number. I hate to say it but stand by for a ramping up of press attention.

Word to the wise....don't feed the *blunts.

*Gentlemen of the press.

• Like Like x 3
  6. RIP. Condolences as always to his family and friends.

7. RIP.

Sincere condolences to family, friends and unit.

A sad loss.

8. RIP.

God rest him and the other two blokes.

9. Mentioned on radio 4 just now. The coroner has talked about 'Duty of care' which is no bad thing if a lack of air transport due to government cuts is highlighted, or anything of that ilk. But I fear that it will bring the lawyers for profit firms and possibly Mr Shiner out in force for a media friendly witch hunt of the wrong people.

RIP and my sympathies to the families.

10. Thoughts with their family.

I was in the UK during the 2 week "heat wave" last week on exercise & we got blitzed with water parades Jarhead style due to the climate as a duty of care. However:

Training in fully plated up osprey & patrols kitted out in theatre specific kit (ECM etc) in those temperatures blokes are going to be susceptible to heat injury, though as our NCOs repeatedly highlighted it's much hotter out in theatre & you're carrying heavier loads & patrolling for longer stints so the onus is also just as much on the individual to maintain hydration, a personal duty of care not always adhered to (to re-iterate I'm not stating this was the case with the 3 cases highlighted).

Similarly the DS will rigorously teach you ground sign awareness & proper usage of vallon, horn etc for C-IED but blokes' have a personal "duty of care" to maintain vigilance.

I've sort of meandered a bit & realise it's an "RIP thread" but it's a valid point that while the heat injuries are tragic the media etc shouldn't be too swift to blame "the army", "defence cuts" or "the training staff" for the deaths.

11. Police & HSE getting involved now, unfortunately these guys pushed them selves to the limit, the police & HSE would not understand this element. Having nearly lost my own life doing some arduous training on Brecon, there are certain motivations that cannot be measured by a formal investigation.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

What utter bullshit - what part of carrying 4 liters of water is involved with "pushing yourselves to the limit" SAS is starting to look like Stupid and Stupider.

Oh and "lost my own life due to arduous training" feck off you walting prat.