3rd Bn Royal Welsh

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Banzai!!, Feb 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning Ladies and Gents,

I'm off to University in Cardiff in September and am hoping to join 3 Royal Welsh. Does anyone have any idea as to whether they are currently recruiting bearing in mind the current 'economic climate'?

If indeed they are recruiting, when would be the best time to get the ball rolling? I'm quite a way from there at the moment, but would like to get the recruitment process done before I head there.

Thanks in advance,
    Banzai

2. Apologies just realised there's a separate TA recruitment board.

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

As a student in Cardiff, and you think you'll have enough spare time for the TA, FFS are you gay

4. Deleted due to my being excessively rude.

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I was 38 when I went to the University of Glamorgan and the social life was fan ruddy tastic and thats in wild Welsh Wales,North of the M4, at 24 in Cardiff you'll be shagging more than squaddying

6. Ah right you are. Apologies, I thought you were having a dig. Long term missus for me unfortunately!

7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

What bad luck, when I was STAB in 3RRW we had loads of students start out as Keen as F@ck, until the beer and birds caught up with them, some drill nights it was like the land of the living dead, and the UOTC were worse

8. I can imagine. I'm planning on avoiding the UOTC like the plague. Bunch of throbbers who think they're God's gift from my experience. I'm looking to do some proper training as opposed to joining a drinking club.

Was there much of a social life within 3 RRW?

9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

There was when I left, E coy 3 RRW HSF was a drinking club with guns, and I don't mean the guns on issue

10. Sounds good! Is there a huge difference between the roles of the normal coys compared to the HQ Coy in Cardiff?

11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Haven't got a clue, I seldom get much further than the bar these days

12. Fair one. Many thanks for the help!

13. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

no problem I'm acctualy sitting in the pub down the road from Maindy barracks as I write

14. Threadromancy activate!

To try and answer your questions-

To the best of my knowledge, the Bn is still recruiting - in fact, we've got a fresh batch in at HQ Coy at the moment. Whether or not this will still be the case in September, I don't know. I would hazard a guess of yes, since we're due to supply a load of guys for Herrick 16 later this year.

HQ Coy is somewhat different to the rifle coys, because it supplies support functions rather than angry, hateful men with bayonets :) Unless you've got some burning passion to be a medic, chef or clerk (and I think they might all be full anyway), you'll probably end up in Signals Pl or, as an outside, MT. Don't let this put you off - you'll still be trained as a rifleman initially, and I know a couple of guys who live in Cardiff but parade at C Coy in Pontypridd.

As to avoiding the OTC - horses for courses. I did 2 years in the OTC before I joined the grown-up TA, and it didn't do me any harm at all. Your mileage may vary, and you're right inasmuch as you will find some truly chippy attitudes there. It's true that the OTC calendar is fitted to the university year, but you're (marginally) more likely to get paid with a Group A unit, and the bounty's way, way better. Also, we need more signallers :)

My advice would be to wait and see. I suspect come September you'll be fine to join, but with budgets as they are, who knows. Good luck.

15. Awesome, thanks very much for that! Very informative.