3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh

I'm looking to join the 3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh in Swansea.

From what I've read the 1'st RW used to be mostly foot patrol stuff and 2n'd RW used to be more focused on the armoured vehicles.

As the 1'st RW and 2'nd RW have now been merged, into "1st Battalion Welsh Guards" - My question is the following;

If I join the reserves for this, will it be purely a foot patrol role or do they still do armoured vehicles?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
"The 3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh (3 R WELSH) is the Regiment's Reserve battalion. Paired with 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, we will deploy on future Operations with them. Our HQ is at Maindy Barracks in Cardiff, but also have Company locations across Wales in Swansea, Pontypridd, Aberystwyth and Colwyn Bay. We train on a part-time basis, one evening per week and a number of weekends a year.
Join us
As a member of 3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh, the only Army Reserve infantry regiment in Wales, you will learn a variety of military skills such as weapons handling, shooting, patrolling, how to live and survive in the countryside as well as the opportunity to improve your fitness and make some great friends.

In addition to all the military skills Adventure Training plays a key role in testing individual in a team environment, recent expeditions include; Rock Climbing in Italy, Skiing in France and preparing to go in the Himalayas.

3 Royal Welsh supports the regular Army providing additional manpower and resource on operations, and our soldiers have often deployed to Afghanistan, Cyprus or anywhere you see the British Army.

You could gain driving licenses up to LGV and other trade qualifications dependent on your chosen role - for instance as a chef or mechanic. Come and meet us by visiting on of our Army Reserve Centres." (c) MOD

Looks like it's all light role.

If I join the reserves for this, will it be purely a foot patrol role or do they still do armoured vehicles?
Armoured vehicles, yes. Tracked vehicles, not routinely any more.

In any case, the 3rd Bn doesn't hold any armoured vehicles of its own. Your routine training will all be light role until you need to learn vehicle ops for something specific. If that puts you off, the infantry may not be for you...

No they haven't. 1WG is a completely different regiment.
1 RW disbanded and 2RW were changed to be 1RW.
What he said. We're now part of 11 Light Bde, which means we support (amongst others) whichever Guards battalion happens to be in Aldershot. Most recently, that's been 1WG and 1CG, but it'll change as they rotate through.

spaz

LE
What he said. We're now part of 11 Light Bde, which means we support (amongst others) whichever Guards battalion happens to be in Aldershot. Most recently, that's been 1WG and 1CG, but it'll change as they rotate through.
Neither are in Aldershot, they're in Pirbright and Windsor.

llech

LE
Light role, always have been.
You get a very stylish white hackle mind to go with your bags of swank, IF your from the North.
South Wales are full of gobby pricks and Taffies.

X59

LE
Light role, always have been.
You get a very stylish white hackle mind to go with your bags of swank, IF your from the North.
Wales is full of gobby pricks and Taffies.
FOC

Latest Threads