3D Printer anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by donmac, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Kerisst on a crutch - that would be soooo ******* irritating if you'd spent all that dosh on a superdooper 3D printer to see it turn out unadulterated keek instead of the fantastic thingmy that you wanted to show off to your mates.
  2. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

currently 3d printers are at about the level of a dot matrix printer ( remember them?) however the technology is getting better at a faster rate .
    A good book to read is MAKERS , I will see if i can dig out the fulll details later .
    Also did i read some where the the RN has 3D cnc cutters on its boats and all the software plans to make spares rather than carry them or was that a projection for the future ?
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

MOD is looking at a full 3d printing get up in metal and ceramics IIRC
  4. The concept is superb, no doubt about that, but as sirbhp points out, the technology is still advancing and isn't yet stable.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it is getting there though and very quickly
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Indeed but that just means the people who've already bought into the existing technology will have to spend more money./
  7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

isnt that true or everything ? from hi-fi through to tablet computers ??
  8. My first PC was £1500 - 25Mhz 386SX - 4Mb - 40Mb - 256Kb video... It's not that long ago either.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. So all those mongs wanting to print guns are going to pay loads on failures before they finally make one and blow their fingers off? Seems good to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I didn't buy my first one, I rented it from Radio Rentals - believe it or not. Same with my second one. I didn't buy a PC until I had been using one for almost three years.
  11. I do believe it, 'cos that's where I bought mine from!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 486DX4-133 8MB 120MB HDD from Computastore in Gt Victoria Street, Belfast. It weighed a TON and cost more than the car I then owned. As B_B said, it wasn't aeons ago. Still have it, too.
  13. Olivetti?