3D printed firearms

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tricky1982, Dec 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How many shots does it take to kill someone?

2. well not entirely made with a 3d printer, but impressive that it managed 6 shots. It's not bad for a first try though.

3. Nonsense to impress the clueless; clearly the silly season is upon us.

No load bearing parts were printed. Glock, AR-18, SA-80 etc., established long ago that a receiver can be made of recycled fibre-reinforced toffee or empty Coke cans.

When they print an SLR, that's when I'll get vaguely interested.

• Like Like x 2
  4. It is only a matter of time before there is a 'plastic' capable of being printed that can be used as load bearing.

3D printing is a game changer on many fronts. It will be the most significant tech of the first half of this century. (A bloke in the pub told me...)

Broken cooker knob? Hey, no problem, just download the file and print it off. Parts and accessories stores will become obsolete. There will be a massive change in the way we source items, leading to a corresponding massive change in the workplace. This has been seen with the manufacturing industry moving from the 1st world to the 2nd and 3rd. Another is the move towards the service industry being the greatest employer in the UK.

5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the guy who came up with the tech printed bits to repair his daughters car

it would be possible to print a derringer capable of killing. they can also print in metal apparently.

its akin to replicator technologies, you could set up a print works and just bash out whatever you want as long as you had the schematics.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you wait the mod will buy the technology and you will be able to bimble down the cqms and he will be able to print you out a wrong sized pair of boots in under an hour.

• Like Like x 21
  7. Oh, you've gone and said it.......!

• Like Like x 2
  8. He did! He said the 'S' word!

9. Guess this is the start of the Star Trek replicators then? Wonder how long before they try printing edible food, who knows might be able to print new body parts in a decade or so.

10. When they can print whores my mission to never have to leave the house will be complete.

11. More likely that you'll be able to print out a sign marked 'Closed', that's assuming you can get a refill cartridge for the printer in the first place.

12. They do out calls you know. (A man in the pub told me)

13. Yup. SLS (stereo laser sintering) was relatively new technology about 10 years ago. I wouldn't want any part produced this way in my hand under pressure mind.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

14. There are metals and there are metals. Anyone know how hard mercury is in solid state? (yes I could google it but CBA)