3D printed firearms

well not entirely made with a 3d printer, but impressive that it managed 6 shots. It's not bad for a first try though.

Nonsense to impress the clueless; clearly the silly season is upon us.

No load bearing parts were printed. Glock, AR-18, SA-80 etc., established long ago that a receiver can be made of recycled fibre-reinforced toffee or empty Coke cans.

When they print an SLR, that's when I'll get vaguely interested.

It is only a matter of time before there is a 'plastic' capable of being printed that can be used as load bearing.

3D printing is a game changer on many fronts. It will be the most significant tech of the first half of this century. (A bloke in the pub told me...)

Broken cooker knob? Hey, no problem, just download the file and print it off. Parts and accessories stores will become obsolete. There will be a massive change in the way we source items, leading to a corresponding massive change in the workplace. This has been seen with the manufacturing industry moving from the 1st world to the 2nd and 3rd. Another is the move towards the service industry being the greatest employer in the UK.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
the guy who came up with the tech printed bits to repair his daughters car

it would be possible to print a derringer capable of killing. they can also print in metal apparently.

its akin to replicator technologies, you could set up a print works and just bash out whatever you want as long as you had the schematics.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
you wait the mod will buy the technology and you will be able to bimble down the cqms and he will be able to print you out a wrong sized pair of boots in under an hour.

No load bearing parts were printed. Glock, AR-18, SA-80 etc., established long ago that a receiver can be made of recycled fibre-reinforced toffee or empty Coke cans.

Oh, you've gone and said it.......!

Guess this is the start of the Star Trek replicators then? Wonder how long before they try printing edible food, who knows might be able to print new body parts in a decade or so.

you wait the mod will buy the technology and you will be able to bimble down the cqms and he will be able to print you out a wrong sized pair of boots in under an hour.
More likely that you'll be able to print out a sign marked 'Closed', that's assuming you can get a refill cartridge for the printer in the first place.

Yup. SLS (stereo laser sintering) was relatively new technology about 10 years ago. I wouldn't want any part produced this way in my hand under pressure mind.
There are metals and there are metals. Anyone know how hard mercury is in solid state? (yes I could google it but CBA)

Wooden stock, or black?

Hee! Hee!

It is only a matter of time before there is a 'plastic' capable of being printed that can be used as load bearing.
I can't envisage it in our liefetimes and I've been in engineering a long time. For example, the Poles were knocking up some very ingenious Sten copies in WW2, but I don't think they could get around the need to use a machined steel barrel; they used air dropped Sten barrels or cut up obsolete or broken rifles.

Plastics have only been used for pressurized pipes (PEX mostly, cross-linked polyethylene) fairly recently and they're unsuitable for some applications for reasons that would suggest you should stick to steel for bang sticks. They don't like high temperatures and become well, plastic, when hot. They expand a huge amount, compared to any metal pipe.

A plastic smooth bore air gun might be do-able.

I can't envisage it in our liefetimes and I've been in engineering a long time. For example, the Poles were knocking up some very ingenious Sten copies in WW2, but I don't think they could get around the need to use a machined steel barrel; they used air dropped Sten barrels or cut up obsolete or broken rifles.

Plastics have only been used for pressurized pipes (PEX mostly, cross-linked polyethylene) fairly recently and they're unsuitable for some applications for reasons that would suggest you should stick to steel for bang sticks. They don't like high temperatures and become well, plastic, when hot. They expand a huge amount, compared to any metal pipe.

A plastic smooth bore air gun might be do-able.
Interesting. Good to hear from someone in engineering.

Now if they could print ceramics...

Mind you I did say 'only a matter of time' not mentioning how much time :)