3D Monitor

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by tazmanian_clogdancer, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not flogging these but I've recently been given a LG 23" monitor with the 3d engine. It's passive which means you can use the glasses you knicked from the cinema as opposed to the shutter versions. It's not true 120hz but still lets you convert any picture or 2d film you have into 3d and it also offers full HD quality.The reason I'm bumping on about this that after working with the more expensive Sony and other 3d monitors this is just as good and and what's more its around half the price of the higher end monitors at 160. It also works well with your playstation and is pretty much plug n play. So if you don't want to stump up the cash for a big honking 3dtv consider this instead.

----Mods please move this to the hardware forum if you want me I'll be in the thickest ex squaddie thread--
  2. LG stuff is pretty damn good. I've got my eye on the 27" with tv tuner.
  3. There is talk of (TV's only, not monitors), that 3D could be dropped in favour of super HD at twice the resolution.
  4. I thought the next step was QFHD? 4x resolution of 1080p
  5. The ultimate will be 3D HD Touch screen PC monitors, 27" plus. I already use TrackIR 5.0 so such a beast would make Flight sims very immersive, as you would have a 3D virtual cockpit that you could put your hand in and use switches and buttons in the cockpit.
  6. Exactly how would you 'touch' a 3d cockpit on a flat panel, the 'buttons' will all physically be on the same plane. Touch screen or 3d, cant use both at the same time in such an application. Have a word with yourself.
  7. 3D in cinemas is not the big thing that they thought it was going to be, the modern eye is attuned to 2D screen representations.

Equally HD is a solution for a problem nobody mentioned; Silent film to talkies, good, B/W to colour, likewise good, 405 to 625 and then to LCD, all good.

Being able to see every blade of grass on the pitch? Pop out to your local park, see how many blades of grass you can distinguish, plus at 100 yards how much of the player's face you can see.

I've watched HD on my sister's TV and to be honest it didn't seem worth the effort. I'm sure it will come, but the constant advance of gadgets is counter productive; people are hanging onto gadgets in case the next leap forward is a stumble. Betamax, mini DVDs, Laser discs etc.
  8. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Tax is this the one you're on about?

LG Electronics 23" 3D Ready LED Wide Monitor (D2342P-PN) - dabs.com

First anniversary with the wife coming this weekend and she's stuck for something to get me. Having just upgraded my PC I'm considering getting a new monitor and having her pay for it seems like a reasonable plan! (Yes, granted it's still ultimately me paying...)

Having scanned Dabs et al this is one currently standing out in the price range. No massive fan of 3D as a technology, but for the right price it could add a new dimension (no pun intended) to certain games. The monitor comes with AC:Revelations which I have on PS3 but no 3D TV to try it on, and always figured it would be a good test case.
  9. And removable graphics cards as well.
  10. ????
  11. that's the one bruno, the software that comes with it tri-def is very good and will save a lot on buying 3d films as you can just simply convert 2d in the player.As I mentioned I've used the more expensive sony models but this is very good for the money.
  12. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

i got a samsung tele with built in freeview the tele is hd dow can i tell if the internal freeview thingy is ? i lost the manual .
  13. You're right, there is a limit as to how clear it can be. In my experience it makes games much more crisp and detailed, but I don't really see much difference in telly programmes so how super will super-HD be?

I also watched the Champion's League final in 3D, no difference to watching it normally other than I had to wear stupid ******* specs for an hour and a half. Not worth it IMO.
  14. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Any advances in HD are just basic technology refinement. Agreed it can only go so far before you lose the point, and I've yet to be convinced it's worth the early-adoption mega-bucks, but it's a "valid" progression of TV technology.

3D on the other hand is a scam to milk more cash out of iPad-wielding technosheep - you know, the kind who post Instagram pictures of themselves to Facebook wearing a borrowed pair of horn-rimmed glasses with the title "omgz nerd! lolz!" even though they couldn't tell a bit from a byte and the closest they've come to writing code is doing a SUM command in Excel.

Having studied its use in some depth (as an expert provider of simulation technology, particular commercial video-gaming engines, to the military *cough* *cough*), the only thing that even comes close to a viable application is in providing a level of depth perception to driver training. It appears you get a better idea of cornering if you play F1 on PS3 in 3D. Other than that it's just something that'll likely send you blind 10 years sooner.
  15. I couldnt watch a film in 3d. FPS or driving games I can see the point. Was in currys recently and I have to say that the latest batch of 3d tellys and players are a lot better than what I first saw.