3D Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by skintboymike, Dec 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After a couple of months of deliberating (ok, waiting for the prices to come down) I bought my new TV today (Samsung LE46C750), so I'm finally ready to take the plunge into 3D gaming. I thought it might be worthwhile having a dedicated 3D thread.

Unfortunately, as with most new(ish) tech, there's not much content to support it yet. Gran Turismo 5 will be my only foray into the world of 3D, games or otherwise. Sky expect me to pay a fortune for their 3d channel, so that's out for now. There are a handful of Blu-Rays and games out there, but none that I'm really interested in enough to bother with (hurry up Avatar). If anyone has any info on decent 3D games, films or demos that currently exist, or anything in the pipeline, post a link here please.

2. no content to add mate. Just looking abit of a review

Ive a 50 inch plasma screen that workd surpurbly on movies and on gaming. However being a plasma its starting to get the odd touch of screen burn! ive been looking at 3d tv's and one trhing ive noticed is you loose the clarrity, the colour is affected by the tint of the glasses and i seem to develope a headache soon after i start to watch anything! Have you noticed any of my complaints? im not sure if i should opt for a large LED or to go the full way and get an LED 3D?

3. One negative comment which keeps cropping up re. LED TVs is that the backlighting is very poor, a fault which is especially prominent when viewing dark films in dark rooms (as you do). This may not be the case with all makes and models, but it's one reason why I'm sticking with a fat LCD TV until the tech improves a bit (the other reason being cost).

As for the brightness, yes the glasses do appear to darken the screen a bit, but this can be remedied by changing the brightness on your set. (Some TVs have customisable profiles to save different picture preferences, ideal for switching between 2D/3D)

4. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I've never seen the point in 3DTV technology. It's a gimmick. It can work alright for certain films, if they're made in such a way as to exploit it (i.e. with specific scenes with things flying out at you). For live shows, particularly sport, I honestly don't see the value.

5. I do agree that it's a gimmick to an extent, but to look at it from a pedant's perspective, so are HD and 7.1 surround sound. Some gimmicks flick the right switches and are an instant success (Blu Ray) while others crash and burn (Sony Minidisc). Have you watched a footy match in 3d yet? I have - it's stunning.

6. BrunoNoMedals

I don't know. I can see the point in HD - although it's still poor value for the extra fidelity it gives you. An increase of quality if always a good thing, and a quantifiable improvement. In my mind, 3D isn't a graphical improvement. The addition of depth is unnecessary and, for the most part, unrealistic.

When I get my own, personal, manipulable (if that's a word) camera viewpoint for a live football match, so I can pick my own angle on the fly, then I'll consider 3D to be a genuine contender :D

And I'll still be watching the picture it beams on a flat, two-dimensional screen.

7. I'm running my PS3 through a 50 inch plasma in 3d. It looks great and can only get better as more developers work out how to get more out of the system.

Before I got it I was unsure, I'm not an early tech adopter usually but this time I'm pretty chuffed. Unlike minidisc.

It's cracking. Get it.

8. BrunoNoMedals

Mike (and anyone else), can you let me know what you think of GT5 in 3D? Specifically, I'm after opinions of the driving experience compared to conventional 2D - does it give you better awareness, or anything like that?

A bloke in the office was asking me about its applicability to driver training simulators so I'd like some initial impressions.

Cheers!

9. Went to Scan.co.uk this morning for a few bits and they had a Gaming chair with Logitech wheel set up playing F1 2010. Put on the 3D glasses and BLOODY HELL. it was seriously impressive. Using the in car veiw you can accurately judge the distances to otheer cars and the corners, I wasnt expecting too much of it and that may have been it's saving grace but it works for that game. As for wether it would work as well on CoD or TF2 and the like i dont know. Still not sold on it aas it costs so much too set up.

10. BrunoNoMedals

So it did give you a decent idea of depth perception?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

11. It did but you still have to wear those stupid glasses. Who wants to look like stevie wonder while playing a game ?

12. I received GT5 a couple of days back, needless to say the 3d went straight on. It looks absolutely amazing. This isn't just a foreground/background parallax trick like some of the cartoon films - the road starts in front of you and genuinely trails off into the distance. After about half an hour of playing I took the glasses off and attempted to play in 2d, and my driving definitely suffered for it.

Overall impressions so far; A top graphical feature on an already amazing game, and hopefully the tech can only improve from here. As for the driver training aspect, what kind of driving are we talking about? Basic driving skills simulation would be pointless, unless there's a way to replicate every aspect of the interior of a car. Can't see it being very cost effective either to be honest.

13. BrunoNoMedals

Driver training for AFVs and stuff; military training. We're always looking for ways to increase realism, especially when it offers a genuine improvement to the experience.

As for cost effectiveness, a two-grand TV is nothing compared to the massive CATT-like sims of old.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk