387 Years ago

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment)

387 years ago, King Charles 1 handed a Royal Charter to Sir John Hepburn authorising him to raise a body of armed men for service as the King’s men initially for service in France. Not a difficult task as Sir John already had a band of men already formed and battle hardened as they had been fighting on the Continent for some time, for whichever side would pay them.

This Charter gave The Royal Scots precedence in the British Line Infantry, an honour carried on today by The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland. Normally on this date various Regimental functions are held to commemorate this date but this year, due to the Coronavirus outbreak, we are not able to do so. What we are doing though is all Royals across the world are asked to Raise a Glass at 6:30 pm (Edinburgh time!) and salute The Regiment.

If you wish to join us in doing this, you will be very welcome.

Up the Royals!
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Officers-badge.jpg Royal-Scots-badge-233x300.png

I thought were about to say you were born.

ps - 387 years? How very nouveau riche...

Was Auld Yin the first Stick Man on Pontius Pilates Bodyguard?
Nah, he was already retired. He was the crusty auld fogey boring sprogs with his, "I remember when we had That Pilum..."

Having served with 1 KOSB, I'll use this as an excuse for a drink.

Grandfather was a Royal Scot in WW1 (not entirely by choice), so I will also raise a glass.

Not a difficult task as Sir John already had a band of men already formed and battle hardened as they had been fighting on the Continent for some time, for whichever side would pay them.
So are you saying the Royal Scots are all mercenaries!?

I generally don't need an excuse, but tonight I shall drink to the Royal Scots.

Slàinte mhath

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
As we're almost related by the Royal Regiment of Scotland, I'll drink to that. Slainte!

Can Corps attached play too?! (Rear Link Detachment, Werl 1984-85).
Well done The Royals!

My best mate in the piping and drumming world was a drummer from the RS. He would only put his kilt on right before he played because in his eyes proper lowland Scots only wear trews, he referred to kilts as teuchter tartan rags...He helped me hone my drumming skills while reciting the history and lore of the 1st of Foot, he kept his faith in them until the end.

The only recording I could find of Dumbarton's Drums played by a pipe band. What a jaunty tune.

Quite a pedigree. I knew they had some time in, but not that much! I’m having a glass of red right now, and might make it another half-hour for another.
Gentlemen, your health!

387 years ago, King Charles 1 handed a Royal Charter to Sir John Hepburn authorising him to raise a body of armed men for service as the King’s men initially for service in France. Not a difficult task as Sir John already had a band of men already formed and battle hardened as they had been fighting on the Continent for some time, for whichever side would pay them.

This Charter gave The Royal Scots precedence in the British Line Infantry, an honour carried on today by The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland. Normally on this date various Regimental functions are held to commemorate this date but this year, due to the Coronavirus outbreak, we are not able to do so. What we are doing though is all Royals across the world are asked to Raise a Glass at 6:30 pm (Edinburgh time!) and salute The Regiment.

Up the Royals!
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View attachment 460552 View attachment 460553
Is it your birthday

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer

Up the Royals!
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View attachment 460552 View attachment 460553
Do you still pass your glass over a glass of water or is that just for the Jockobytes!

Latest Threads