38 Royal Engineers Return Home - Massereene Poppy Badge

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Randalstown, Oct 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Recently 38 Royal Engineer Regiment (Massereene Barracks, Antrim) returned from Afghanistan and yesterday they received a homecoming parade through the town of Antrim.

I'm sure that many of you will remember that on the eve of their deployment to Afghanistan, 2 of the Sappers, Patrick Azimkar and Mark Quinsey were murdered in a dissident republican attack when receiving pizzas from a delivery van outside Massereene Baracks.

In the run up to the Home Coming Parade dissident republicans threatened to stage a protest at the parade, thankfully it didn't materialise however it shows the bare faced cheek that these scum have.

Thankfully the streets of Antrim were lined with crowds supporting our troops. Video clips can be viewed on Youtube and BBC Northern Ireland.

After the murders in March a number of people in the local village of Randalstown got together and produced a commemorative badge in memory of the 2 young soldiers who lost their lives that night. The local Randalstown Branch of the Royal British Legion have also been involved with sales of the badge.

The badge features the emblem of the Royal Engineers with 2 Poppies (one for each Sapper) and text appropriate

All profits from the sale of the badge will go to the Royal Engineers Association - Royal Engineers Benevolent Fund.

Badges are £2.50 Each (+ £1.00 P&P)

Please make cheques payable to: “RD LOL 22”

Available by writing to:
    RD LOL 22
    c/o 1 Lough Road
    Antrim
    BT41 4DG

This badge is also being sold in Massereene Army Barracks.

If anyone is interested I can email you a photo of the badge.

Yesterday morning a number of us had the privilege of meeting the families of both soldiers on what must be a very difficult day for them when they seen the colleagues of their sons, brothers, etc returning home from active service and receiving their campaign medals.

If you require any further information or the photo of the badge please contact me or email me at:

randalstowndistrict@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Attached Files:

2. I have one

Bought it at the airshow.

Good day yesterday to see them back!