'37 Patt webbing question.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Biscuits_Brown, Jul 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Specifically these Canadian Mk.3 basic pouches. How does this buckle "work"?
    Anyone got any idea? I've never seen one like it.

2. IIRC the bottom two slots are for the web strap from the yoke, passed through in normal fashion. The top slot is for the hook on the small pack straps (it worked in a similar way to the 58 patt large pack but actually had a strap connecting to the bottom of the pack as well so the small pack could be worn without the rest of the webbing). It's a long time since I was issued it (in the cadets).
  3. Thanks, yeah... That's the way the much smaller British buckle fastens and you can of course do it with these, but you're left with a big sticky uppy brass thing that sits well proud of the pouch. Just looks untidy.

Cheers for the input.
  4. Bailey is right. The braces threaded through the lower gaps, the hook on the small pack's 'L'-shaped straps hooked in to the top slot.

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Patt 37 was actually rather good for it's day - add a couple of straps to the pack and get a better (say German) entrenching tool with a battle handbag and you have something better than most everyone else at the time...water bottle was a bit dire though...
  6. Mmm, yes, but - Biscuits Brown is right - the buckle design is different from the standard ones. I don't think I have seen anything like it on Karkee Web - a quick email to them might elicit some information.
  7. I'm fairly certain Bailey has it bang-on, it just looks gash (to my eye) when it's all fitted together because there's this (relatively) big chunk of brass hanging off the cross straps. particularly if you asssemble it in 'fighting order' without the small pack. For comparison, this it the standard British buckle.

8. IIRC when there was a sufficient length of strap, you simply rolled it up inside itself, thereby creating a locking effect.
  9. On the right hand side at least you need it, your water bottle cradle attaches to the end.
  10. It was designed with for a German style shovel, but it was binned after Dunkirk and they went back to the WW1 style pick/mattock affair. The flat shovel was no use in anything other than loose soil. Never a problem for Ze Germans as they always seemed to take over after a few weeks anyway!
  11. Again, and I may be wrong, but there was sufficient space in different configurations to have both the small pack on top with rolled poncho and large pack below in FSMO.
  12. Hmm... Any idea how it the Large pack would be attached? Utility straps maybe?
    I've seen the large pack worn on the webbing and the small pack worn as a side pack, almost literally like a handbag.
  13. That was, I believe, the text book configuration for FSMO.
  14. Like this

Attached Files:

• FSMO.jpg
      File size:
      37.9 KB
  15. Looks like the difference will be how the buckle is attached to the pouch. There's a "tunnel" to pass the end of the brace down the back on the Brit version. If the Canuk one hasn't got that, the brace end still needs to come out on the rear, so it needs an extra slot.

You can't roll the brace ends if you're going to attach a water bottle, or the small pack on the side when you're wearing the "capacious" large pack.

Both the large pack and small pack have web tabs to take the D buckles. Not sure about the lower detail, all I can remember it having was the web loops you threaded the thin utility type straps through to turn it into the usual stand alone rucksack. Every school kid used a cheapo copy to carry their books 'n PE kit when I was a youff.