35mm Oerlikon in the United Kingdom?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by STABALTERN69, May 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if there are any 35mm Oerlikon GDF cannons in the UK, wikipedia alludes to the fact that there could be 15 or so captured from the Argentines after Op CORPORATE and I was hoping that someone might know where one could be located?

2. I think there's one outside Para Regt RHQ in Merville Bks, Colchester. Certainly looks like one but i'm no gun spotter.

3. I have a vague recollection that one was bundled up to return to 33 / DEODS for the museum, but it never arrived there. Not helpful I know, but there must be one or two knocking about in UK as trophies.

4. Is there one at the Museum of Army Flying at one of the Wallops?

5. Effing hell that was quick, will follow up on Fally's lead, do please keep them coming

6. 1 Sqn RAF has one

7. BA do you know whether or not its a gate guard or a museum piece?

8. That was the original path that I was lead up, I actually got the Sqn number and location and then the trail went dead. Just spoken to Museum of Army Flying and they are having a look for me.

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Firepower might have one.

10. Spent Monday up there with the Curator and the Head of Exhibits, who by all accounts was a wealth of knowledge and a good egg, but no cigar unfortunately.

11. I am pretty sure Royal Marines Museum, Eastney Barracks, Portsmouth has one.

Cardinal

12. Did that ever happen, or was it only a plan, that got abandoned in SDR?

I ask because in the mid to late 80s there was much talk of forming another Aux RAF Regiment AD squadron at RAF Biggin Hill equipped with Oerlikons or maybe even Rapier, but SDR killed that too.

13. Yup-one RAuxAF Regt Sqn was formed and equipped with the Skyguard system. As you say, SDR did for it: a good example of the gun is sat in the RAF Regt Museum at Honington, nr Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Viewing is by appointment through the Regimental Secretary Wing Commander Martin R. Hooker RAF (Retd) rafregtsecretary@honington.raf.mod.uk

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. FourZeroCharlie many thanks for that email has been sent to Wing Cmdr Hooker.