35mm Oerlikon in the United Kingdom?

Does anyone know if there are any 35mm Oerlikon GDF cannons in the UK, wikipedia alludes to the fact that there could be 15 or so captured from the Argentines after Op CORPORATE and I was hoping that someone might know where one could be located?

I have a vague recollection that one was bundled up to return to 33 / DEODS for the museum, but it never arrived there. Not helpful I know, but there must be one or two knocking about in UK as trophies.

That was the original path that I was lead up, I actually got the Sqn number and location and then the trail went dead. Just spoken to Museum of Army Flying and they are having a look for me.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Firepower might have one.

Im_bored said:
If memory serves me, there was an Auxillary RAF Regt sqn that was equipped with them based at Waddington and they were ones redistributed from the Argies. I think they got binned in SDR.
Did that ever happen, or was it only a plan, that got abandoned in SDR?

I ask because in the mid to late 80s there was much talk of forming another Aux RAF Regiment AD squadron at RAF Biggin Hill equipped with Oerlikons or maybe even Rapier, but SDR killed that too.

walt_of_the_walts said:
Im_bored said:
If memory serves me, there was an Auxillary RAF Regt sqn that was equipped with them based at Waddington and they were ones redistributed from the Argies. I think they got binned in SDR.
Did that ever happen, or was it only a plan, that got abandoned in SDR?

I ask because in the mid to late 80s there was much talk of forming another Aux RAF Regiment AD squadron at RAF Biggin Hill equipped with Oerlikons or maybe even Rapier, but SDR killed that too.
Yup-one RAuxAF Regt Sqn was formed and equipped with the Skyguard system. As you say, SDR did for it: a good example of the gun is sat in the RAF Regt Museum at Honington, nr Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Viewing is by appointment through the Regimental Secretary Wing Commander Martin R. Hooker RAF (Retd) rafregtsecretary@honington.raf.mod.uk

STABALTERN69 said:
FourZeroCharlie many thanks for that email has been sent to Wing Cmdr Hooker.
No problem. Let me know how you get on.

ugly

LE
London_Jock said:
I think there's one in the Imperial War Museum - on the balcony overlooking the main hall if I remember right.
Thats a 20mm Rheinmetall isnt it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
REMEbrat Photography 5