357 mag moderator

Do any of you have a 38sp/357 moderator?

If so, what is the make, what dimensions (length/diameter) is it a reflex style?

Does it strip for cleaning?

I'd be grateful for any information.

ugly

LE
I can have a look at the B&T catalogue for you, whats your price limit?

A 9mm suppressor will do the Job as .357 is around 9.07mm.

Most of the newer modern cans are sealed units and only require filling with a solvent like liquid, giving a shake and then pouring away the crap.

For size work on around about 8 inches long by an inch and a half diameter. Longer will reduce sound even more, but full advantage will only be achieved with sub-sonic ammo.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/free_silencer_reviews.htm

This one is the best site on the interweb, a lot of the manufacturers and designers crayon thoughts and opinions on it:

http://www.silencertalk.com/

ugly

LE
True the brugger and thommett are sealed and returnable after 10 000 rounds for a proper clean! At least that's what the rep said

True the brugger and thommett are sealed and returnable after 10 000 rounds for a proper clean! At least that's what the rep said

Are they making them or buying them in?

I know the top end ones like Surefire and AAC are sealed units. I was told by the Surefire rep that the use of Inconel with its super hi temp properties means that the things more or less clean themselves as they are being shot.

ugly

LE
B&T are made by them, I buy them from Viking arms, their rimfire mod weighs about 90 grams

Thanks for the replies.

Ugly, I have been asked to make one so was doing some research as to what is out there and what sort of dimensions are common.

It will be on a Rossi single shot and the loads will be light pistol loads, keeping the round sub sonic.

If I decide to make it I'll let you know the results.

+1 PM

Later, I've got to go out now.

Last edited:

HE117

LE
Oh! It;s for a pistol calibre rifle. My first reaction was - a moderator for a revolver? Only on the movies.
.... unless its a Nagant!

The moderated/silenced revolvers of movie fame may be unworkable but at least two silenced revolver guns are/were available.

Knight Armaments made a revolver rifle for a military project some years ago and there was a handgun revolver made in Germany
The German one was fully shrouded over the barrel and cylinder. Cumbersome looking but if you wanted the six shot reliability of a revolver with no jamming risk it might have been worth it.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/03/03/sw-625-fully-suppressed-revolver/

Thanks for the replies.

Ugly, I have been asked to make one so was doing some research as to what is out there and what sort of dimensions are common.

It will be on a Rossi single shot and the loads will be light pistol loads, keeping the round sub sonic.

The loads maybe light pistol loads, but you need to ensure that a proof round will not turn it inside out.

In the spirit of openness and sharing I decided not to PM, but to post instead.

Firstly, I have not done this and do not intend to do it as I do not wish to spend 10 years in a Federal pokey calling my cellmate honey and having my sphincter reamed on Friday nights. Further, suppressors are controlled items in most jurisdictions so do not make or play with them unless properly authorized.

To give you an indication of the ease of construction and sound suppressing qualities of a known cylinder size and volume have a watch of this nice little video. The Maglite he uses for the body of the suppressor is a 2 D Cell, for baffles he uses engine expansion/freeze plugs. The design has since evolved to a purpose made "Maglite tube" which is made of stainless and internally threaded at both ends to make it look more like a commercially available suppressor.

As for blowing up the tube or turning it inside out. It shouldn't really happen. For .22 its acceptable to use the ally Maglite body and use plastic tube as baffle spacers. For larger calibres it is apparently advisable to use stainless tube to produce the internal baffle spacers as this takes more punishment. Personally I'd use some Ti tube as its lighter.

Have a watch its interesting if nothing else:

If its never sold it may never be proved!
Fair one, but he did say he'd been asked to make one. If a third party is involved it is worth doing an arse covering exercise and at least test it with monster loads. It may work as intended but once coked-up there can be a significant reduction in internal volume which could mean popped welds.

Monocore design. Once piece internal, quick to disassemble, quick and easy to clean, the one piece internal construction add's to the units strength. Dead easy to make, I watched one made from scratch in an afternoon by a gun fettler.

Thanks for the replies.

And will have the ballistic trajectory of a rainbow.

Having said that I've shot both .45 ACP and 10mm Auto PCR out to 200m. You've got time to shot, put down your rifle and pick up your binos before the round impacts with the target! Always made me giggle.

A Rossi with a moderator sounds like it's going to a knackerman/slaughterman. It would be good to have a mod on it, because .38's going off round a farmyard can make your ears ring round all that wriggly tin!

Latest Threads