350 MILLION barrels of oil from the Falklands.

This could get interesting down south.

Meanwhile, fellow Aim explorer Rockhopper Exploration said producing the first oil from the Falkland Islands will cost around $2bn.

The company set out a detailed timetable for extracting an estimated 350m barrels in total, saying it would begin production in early 2016 and reach maximum production of 120,000 barrels by 2018.

Rockhopper has been drilling around the region of its first discovery, with successful results that show the reservoir extends beyond original estimates. The find is expected to reward the patience of thousands of retail investors who put their faith in Falklands oil. However, there are still some potential obstacles, such as the opposition of near neighbour Argentina, which claims sovereignty over the islands.
Gulf Keystone and Rockhopper unveil oil plans for Iraq and the Falklands - Telegraph

With the Argentines getting cosy with their neighbours...

Will we have any planes for our carrier(s) by then, otherwise we have blown it!

My investment in RKH is worth just over half of what it was, (my bad) so before I retire at age 93 I may actually make a profit. Maybe.

Let us hope that it all doesn't kick off again, because this time I don't think we have the resources or the political will to do 'owt about it. Stretched thin and unloved by those in charge who really don't give a ****. IMHO.

Not another "Argentina is going to goosestep over goose green" thread.

Let us hope that it all doesn't kick off again, because this time I don't think we have the resources or the political will to do 'owt about it.
If it kicks off again in the next few years the only thing that Argentina can do is give the Typhoons down there a fairly interesting afternoon of target practice.

Where are the oil and gas fields?

Are they close to the islands or are they far enough away that they could be 'disrupted'? Not just by the Argies, the Argies could give a safe and convienient port for Green Peace or similar.

If it kicks off again in the next few years the only thing that Argentina can do is give the Typhoons down there a fairly interesting afternoon of target practice.
I do hope so! BUT, how do they get there?

I do hope so! BUT, how do they get there?
There are four already down there, but I don't know how we could any more down there at short notice. They'd have to puddle hope down America... which could get interesting near Argentina.

If it comes off and thats a big IF all that will happen is after a bit of grandstanding Argentina will suddenly find its and the UK's mutual Friend Good old uncle Sam will fund building of nice big refinery's on the Río de la Plata.

The Falklands will get a big boost from An oil Boom

HMG will get oil tax revenue from said same.

Argentina will save face while getting a slice of the action.

And of course the US gets a stable supply of oil out of reach of the most determined Jihadist.

Win Win me thinks.

HMG will get oil tax revenue from said same.
Really? I'm sure that would win the UN right up if we were getting tax yields from the natural resources of our overseas territories.

There are a good few people in the industry that reckon this field may yield in excess of 700m barrels, which is chunky money by anyones standard. It needs 2-3 more appraisals yet to even be 70% sure. I have forgotten what the exact tax and royalties deal is there in terms of what the UK gets but its certainly less than the North Sea although I understand that there is an aspiration by the Falkland Islands Government that they will eventually pay for their own defence costs. The Typhoon is the most advanced fighter in the Southern hemisphere, but personally with this field starting to look like it could be really worth having then a review of the number of aircraft down there and the level of naval support can't be far off.