35 and 28 Engr Regts - Gordon Barracks

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
I spent a couple of years at 28 Engr Regt in Hameln, most of which I really enjoyed. For those with fond memories of Gordon Bks, watch and weep....

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
I spent a couple of years at 28 Engr Regt in Hameln, most of which I really enjoyed. For those with fond memories of Gordon Bks, watch and weep....
Cheaper to tell the IRA/INLA that it is now the secret base for Them & UKSFG, they might try to blow it up?
Hence demolition costings reduced and they use up their supplies of explosives - a win win situation?

I was there 1968-70 in 23 Amph. Sqn. and it's the same with every barracks I was at . Old Park Dover, Chatham, Chattenden, Waterbeach all gone opps missed out Cove. Now found out that my trade Plant Op. Mechanic has now gone as well as all army plant is hired in from civvy firms. When will it end woe woe

Last edited:
So sad to that footage, most of it focusing on what was 42's block.
I was there 1968-70 in 23 Amph. Sqn. and it's the same with every barracks I was at . Old Park Dover, Chatham, Chattenden, Waterbeach all gone
You just have that midas touch? Chatham is still going strong , well Brompton Barracks is, The last I heard about Kitchener (5 years ago) , it was being considered as the new home of Army music.

@chimera , any news on what is happening with Kitchener ?

Last edited:
What's being built there in it's place?

Wasn't there a bar/restaurant opposite (George's?), did it survive the drawdown?
Georges was still going strong four years ago, it had enough local custom. The original 28 barracks that used to be around the corner was mostly demolished with the exception of a few listed buildings. The site is now full of very nice apartments.

So sad to that footage, most of it focusing on what was 42's block.

You just have that midas touch? Chatham is still going strong , well Brompton Barracks is, The last I heard about Kitchener (5 years ago) , it was being considered as the new home of Army music.

@chimera , any news on what is happening with Kitchener ?
Only the original main building survived being the listed part and turned into flats, rest of the later additions been demolished.

Developers site;

Wonder whether the place is still haunted and theres still a large turd rotating around the vending machines.

Latest Threads