34th Company Royal Engineers seeking information

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am trying to trace a close family members history, post war he slung all his medals and hated parades, I have his army number and know that he served in the Channel islands with the 34th fortress Co R.E.
couple of questions, would he have had the same army number from enrolment in 1915 ? his was 301013 Year of Birth 1895
he was paid off in November 1919 at Crystal palace Dispersal unit
I have been looking for the regimental war diaries on the National Records office site, but I dont know which division they were part of ?
I also have some images titles 563rd Co taken in the channel islands, not sure why he had those unless it was a mate of his or they merged
would he have joined up with another regiment first, I know he was a skilled engineer having left school early and worked in engineering
Are their any places that I could check his name against an enrolment records ?
and do the Royal Engineers keep any records that are not in the public arena
many thanks J.S.

I am trying to trace a close family members history, post war he slung all his medals and hated parades, I have his army number and know that he served in the Channel islands with the 34th fortress Co R.E.
couple of questions, would he have had the same army number from enrolment in 1915 ? his was 301013 Year of Birth 1895
he was paid off in November 1919 at Crystal palace Dispersal unit
I have been looking for the regimental war diaries on the National Records office site, but I dont know which division they were part of ?
I also have some images titles 563rd Co taken in the channel islands, not sure why he had those unless it was a mate of his or they merged
would he have joined up with another regiment first, I know he was a skilled engineer having left school early and worked in engineering
Are their any places that I could check his name against an enrolment records ?
and do the Royal Engineers keep any records that are not in the public arena
many thanks J.S.
Tried the RE Association?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Find someone with ANCESTRY and ask them to bung a search in for you. Also join the local family society as this stuff gets to be very addictive and you will enjoy the help of these semi - professionals .
Google is your friend for a first base check .

@Joshua Slocum the Royal Engineers library at Chatham has a wealth of unit diaries and records. I’m not sure how much is in the public domain now; they were digitising.

Contact the RE museum at Chatham and they can arrange access I believe.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
@Joshua Slocum the Royal Engineers library at Chatham has a wealth of unit diaries and records. I’m not sure how much is in the public domain now; they were digitising.

Contact the RE museum at Chatham and they can arrange access I believe.
Top Man
I will contact them and take a trip down, I have been busy researching my Great Uncle but forgot my immediate family
I have some photographs taken at the end of the war in the Channel Islands but nothing else other than a copy of his discharge certificate, everything else was destroyed by a relative recently ????

Top Man
I will contact them and take a trip down, I have been busy researching my Great Uncle but forgot my immediate family
I have some photographs taken at the end of the war in the Channel Islands but nothing else other than a copy of his discharge certificate, everything else was destroyed by a relative recently ????
There's also REFERENCE to 34 Fortress Coy being at Queensferry from August 1914 though how accurate that is I don't know. The unit does appear to have been active in the FE in WW2 at Singapore. Found THIS interesting reading even though it's from that later era.

I would recommend, as I did earlier, the REA as a good point of call as many of the members are somewhat keen RE Historians and also, as Bob suggested, the RE Museum as they have a wealth of bits and pieces that might bring you some breakthroughs.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
There's also REFERENCE to 34 Fortress Coy being at Queensferry from August 1914 though how accurate that is I don't know. The unit does appear to have been active in the FE in WW2 at Singapore. Found THIS interesting reading even though it's from that later era.

I would recommend, as I did earlier, the REA as a good point of call as many of the members are somewhat keen RE Historians and also, as Bob suggested, the RE Museum as they have a wealth of bits and pieces that might bring you some breakthroughs.
I think he joined up in 1915 one of Kitcheners mob and left in November 1919
I will contact the RE lads later this week, want to do it before my dad passes away

I think he joined up in 1915 one of Kitcheners mob and left in November 1919
I will contact the RE lads later this week, want to do it before my dad passes away
The REA also has an active Facebook Community too if any of you are of that techy sort of inclination.

Hello Joshua,

Picked up on this thread yesterday, and the comment about throwing his medals away and being based in the channel islands interested me... Not sure the CIs qualified as a theatre of war for medal entitlement. If it did then I would expect to see a Medal Index Card for a 301013 man, there are two that have links to RE, first is a late Durham Light Infantry man John G Winter (the 301013 is his DLI number) and the second is late Northumberland Fusiliers man that ended up in RE with Rail and Inland Waterways WR301013 James Richardson.

Also the RE numbers can be a pain to research as duplicate numbers are quite common i.e more than one man with the same number. I have looked at close numbers either side 301013, and there is no clear pattern to confirm exact enlistement, however he may of been a Derby Scheme man, attesting in late 1915 and mobilising as late as 1917, 301007 appears to have followed that path into another Fortress Company.

Andy

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Hello Joshua,

Picked up on this thread yesterday, and the comment about throwing his medals away and being based in the channel islands interested me... Not sure the CIs qualified as a theatre of war for medal entitlement. If it did then I would expect to see a Medal Index Card for a 301013 man, there are two that have links to RE, first is a late Durham Light Infantry man John G Winter (the 301013 is his DLI number) and the second is late Northumberland Fusiliers man that ended up in RE with Rail and Inland Waterways WR301013 James Richardson.

Also the RE numbers can be a pain to research as duplicate numbers are quite common i.e more than one man with the same number. I have looked at close numbers either side 301013, and there is no clear pattern to confirm exact enlistement, however he may of been a Derby Scheme man, attesting in late 1915 and mobilising aa late as 1917, 301007 appeaes to have followed that path into another Fortress Company.

Andy
its neither of those two names I am afraid ( PM inbound)
I was wondering about duplicate numbers, also if you changed to another regiment as was common, did you keep your same number
ie infantry to machine gun corps then heavy machine gun corp evolving into the tank corps ?

In regard renumbering, the answer is yes if it were a permanent transfer.

WW1 numbering at first can be a daunting task to understand as Corps & Infantry did their own thing, then factor in Regular/Service Btns & the Territorial Force way of doing things can tie you up in knots.

By 1917 it settled down into the more sequential system we have but still specific to Corps & Arm, then in 1920 they re did it again.....

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have seen lots of war diaries on the government website, however I am unsure as to which division 34 Co was controlled by
Perhaps the RE records will give me more info as I plan to visit later this year

Trouble is JS unless the were "Overseas" then there won't be a War Diary, I had already looked on National Archive and the RE Library's list that they hold, and nothing showing, I am also struggling to find any real detailed reference to the 34th FC Channel Islands, this may be because FC Coys less a few were retitled Army Troop Companies.

You may want to post on the Great War Forum, as there is plenty of expertise and knowledge on there.

See JS? You mention History, Sappers and mention a conundruum in the same post and they come out of the woodwork with fascinating answers :)

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Joshua Slocum - care to give me a name, chap? As the only hit I'm getting for that number is for a Cpl in the Manchester Regiment.
In the days of his enlistment Regimental numbers were used and not 'army numbers' but further identified by their Regt and the man's name and DOB. when my father changed regiments he received another number. The number that Joshua gives. 301013 seems late in the war? but of course the RE were a very large corps, so larger than usual numbers may be usual for them.

Otherwise the good news is: that the 'Western Front Association' has the medical documents for all WW1 War pensioners. They had been kept in Edinburgh, it was part of the 'cuts' to get rid of them, now taken over by WFA. If anyone has a pensioned ancestor, his docs with detailed wounds and treatment make fascinating reading. also contains 1930s medical examinations when during the recession attempts were made to stop some pensions. All can be found 'on line @western Front Association. a small charge for purchase.

Otherwise the good news is: that the 'Western Front Association' has the medical documents for all WW1 War pensioners. They had been kept in Edinburgh, it was part of the 'cuts' to get rid of them, now taken over by WFA. If anyone has a pensioned ancestor, his docs with detailed wounds and treatment make fascinating reading. also contains 1930s medical examinations when during the recession attempts were made to stop some pensions. All can be found 'on line @western Front Association. a small charge for purchase.
The Pension Ledgers currently not showing the man in question of those moved to Ancestry/Fold3. And I agree that 301013 is a later in the war number, my gut feeling it is a 1917 one and JS' s relative is perhaps a Derby Scheme man.

301004 & 301009 both enlisted in July 1917.

30102# & 30103# men also mobilised in July 1917. Notably 301034 attested in Dec 1915 & mobilised July 1917 typical for a Derby Scheme man.

Last edited: