34 MOD Sites to Close

So far this year the MOD has announced that 34 sites are to close. Link to today's announcement at the bottom.

-Thornhill Barracks (Aldershot)
-Burgoyne Barracks (Folkestone)
-Clive Barracks (Tern Hill, Shropshire)
-Fitz Wygram House – Royal Army Vet Corps (Aldershot)
-Army Officer Selection Board Westbury (Wiltshire)
-Defence Training Estate land near Cove (Farnborough)
-Rylston Road ARC (London)
-MOD Wethersfield (Essex)
-Chetwynd Barracks (Chilwell, Nottinghamshire)
-MOD Cheadle Hulme (Greater Manchester)
-Middlewick Ranges (Essex)
-Amport House (Andover)
-Land at Harley Hill (Catterick)
-Chalgrove Airfield (Oxford) Transferred to the Homes and Communities Agency
-Colerne Airfield (Chippenham)
-Azimghur Barracks (Chippenham)
-Prince William of Gloucester Barracks (Grantham)
-Old Dalby (Melton Mowbray)
-Venning Barracks (Telford)
-Parsons Barracks (Donnington)
-Southwick Park (Fareham)
-Royal Marines Stonehouse (Plymouth)
-Kneller Hall in Twickenham
-Claro barracks in Ripon
-Deverell barracks in Ripon
-RAF Molesworth in Cambridgeshire
-RAF Alconbury in Cambridgeshire
-RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk
-Lodge Hill in Kent
-Craigiehall in Edinburgh
-HMS Nelson Wardroom in Portsmouth
-Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire
-RAF Barnham in Suffolk
-MOD Feltham in London

Ministry of Defence to sell 13 sites for 17,000 homes
Ministry of Defence to sell 13 sites for 17,000 homes - BBC News

So far this year the MOD has announced that 34 sites are to close. Link to today's announcement at the bottom.

-Thornhill Barracks (Aldershot)
-Burgoyne Barracks (Folkestone)
-Clive Barracks (Tern Hill, Shropshire)
-Fitz Wygram House – Royal Army Vet Corps (Aldershot)
-Army Officer Selection Board Westbury (Wiltshire)
-Defence Training Estate land near Cove (Farnborough)
-Rylston Road ARC (London)
-MOD Wethersfield (Essex)
-Chetwynd Barracks (Chilwell, Nottinghamshire)
-MOD Cheadle Hulme (Greater Manchester)
-Middlewick Ranges (Essex)
-Amport House (Andover)
-Land at Harley Hill (Catterick)
-Chalgrove Airfield (Oxford) Transferred to the Homes and Communities Agency
-Colerne Airfield (Chippenham)
-Azimghur Barracks (Chippenham)
-Prince William of Gloucester Barracks (Grantham)
-Old Dalby (Melton Mowbray)
-Venning Barracks (Telford)
-Parsons Barracks (Donnington)
-Southwick Park (Fareham)
-Royal Marines Stonehouse (Plymouth)
-Kneller Hall in Twickenham
-Claro barracks in Ripon
-Deverell barracks in Ripon
-RAF Molesworth in Cambridgeshire
-RAF Alconbury in Cambridgeshire
-RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk
-Lodge Hill in Kent
-Craigiehall in Edinburgh
-HMS Nelson Wardroom in Portsmouth
-Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire
-RAF Barnham in Suffolk
-MOD Feltham in London

Ministry of Defence to sell 13 sites for 17,000 homes
Ministry of Defence to sell 13 sites for 17,000 homes - BBC News
Those LGBT conferences won't fund themselves you know.

Last edited:
There's a few £million worth of real estate just in a few of them

Kneller Hall and attached green land must be worth £20million in itself

DITA

MIA
And still more to come from the bottom of the announcement I've seen.

I certainly think that at least one more site in Scotland will be chopped. No reason to think it other than rumour and conjecture, but some rumours do turn out to be true...

More land they will let go for a fraction of its worth.

Bris

LE
I wonder if South Park will go back to its original owners [i can't remember if they paid the owners, or simply forgot to give it back]?

DITA

MIA
i thought Fort George would be away this time for sure
The rumour I've heard is exactly this. But then again the MOD wont get anything for it, as its owned by Historical Scotland I believe?

HM Barracks Stonehouse - a piece of RM Heritage lost for ever - that will be sold for conversions like the William yard just across the road - there will be millions to be made there as the MOD will not get the true value - shame

Archie

Kneller Hall and attached green land must be worth £20million in itself
So it will go for 250 grand tops and some serious back handers

The rumour I've heard is exactly this. But then again the MOD wont get anything for it, as its owned by Historical Scotland I believe?
its a Historic Scotland site certainly but i dont know who operates it. its not suited for a modern barracks but that said i still quite like that it still has troops there

Not surprised at all by Stonehouse, other than it's taken so long as the stuff was largely transferred elsewhere some years ago. Ditto Cheadle Hulme is just a few scabby huts and offices.

PWOG has had money spent on it recently and was in pretty good nick last time I visited (abouot a year ago).

The 3 USVF bases are harder to fathom. Mildenhall in particular has superb infrastructure after the USVF poured money into uprgading, ditto Molesworth & Alconbury.

IMHO it would have been better to close some of the rundown MOD assets and keep those three open.

Slime

LE
Not surprised at all by Stonehouse, other than it's taken so long as the stuff was largely transferred elsewhere some years ago. Ditto Cheadle Hulme is just a few scabby huts and offices.

PWOG has had money spent on it recently and was in pretty good nick last time I visited (abouot a year ago).

The 3 USVF bases are harder to fathom. Mildenhall in particular has superb infrastructure after the USVF poured money into uprgading, ditto Molesworth & Alconbury.

IMHO it would have been better to close some of the rundown MOD assets and keep those three open.
Even if the RAF needed more stations the three US bases don't have quite the right infrastructure the RAF would want. It's been said many times that the cost of converting the electrics to 240v seem to always make the conversion
More expensive than the MOD are prepared to pay.

Colerne was a surprise entry. I thought a lot of money had been spent there in recent years, and its future was secure.

DITA

MIA
its a Historic Scotland site certainly but i dont know who operates it. its not suited for a modern barracks but that said i still quite like that it still has troops there
I know the troops are vastly restricted in what they can and cant do during the working day, as first and formemost its a tourist attraction! There are stories of tourists wandering in and out of working offices/stores without a care in the world.

Its a security nightmare!!

Well the Gov are certainly flogging off the family silver. As long as its not blown on vouchers for Officer recruitment - that was a bloody silly idea!

Crikey Kneller Hall. Where's the music people going then. That's going to cramp Army Navy stuff as well.
IIRC CAMUS are looking at Chatham (Brompton Bks) as the alternative.

RFU are looking at an agreement of continuous use of Kneller Hall fields as a separate entity, if approved that is.

There's a few surprises on that list including Southwick Park closing with DCPG relocating back to its original Worthy Down hub.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

jim30

LE
Problem is we have a surplus of land, and too few troops to base them in. A lot of the sites listed have a lot of complex or challenging infrastructure which will cost a fortune to maintain or protect (eg. Stonehouse). Add to this reality we don't need that many airfields (e.g. we have a total of 3 bases for our Fast Jet fleet now), then there is just no need for the USAF places.

Its always hard to see sites close, and I feel sorry for the local employees, but given the money is being ploughed back into defence, I'd much rather we went to the absolute minimum of real estate and spent the money on good SLA on those sites, and top notch kit to boot, rather than paying a fortune for creaking ancient sites that are barely used to stay open.

Latest Threads