.338 ar

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Boris3098, Oct 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the point of having a semi auto long range sniper rifle..? The time of flight is greater than it would take you to reload with a bolt. You want the minimum going on in the gun to maximise accuracy. When they start making successful semi auto benchrest rifles, I might be interested..

..and before you ask, yes I know about the SVD - but even the Russians admit this rifle was always a compromise and not a true sniper rifle.

Oh - and stay away from those ********* on FPS Russia - their mummies don't know they are playing with guns..
    • Like Like x 1
  2. All true.
    But it makes one hell of a spotters weapon.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

1500 yards, are they loading subsonic ammo?
  4. Nah...

THIS is a spotters weapon..

Pedersen rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... and I held one of the ten known UK (Vickers Armstrong) made, and possibly only surviving example today :)

An insane weapon. The best engineering you will ever see - even the iron sight is a work of art.. but totally useless as a military weapon. Too complex and far too expensive.

However it shows what you can do with a lump of steel, a lump of wood and the services of the finest Geordie light engineers that ever lived..
    • Like Like x 1