33 too late to join?

Hi,

I was hoping to gain others perspective on my situation. I am about to turn 33 in May and am considering re-joining the Army.
Previously served leaving in 2013.
Since this I have established a good career in a sector I have been fairly happy in for many years. I have good prospects with the potential to earn more etc... I have a property that I have a mortgage on and cover my outgoings with relative comfortability. So in essence my lifestyle is pretty good.
I'm single, with no children.
I suppose I've had the itch to return to service since leaving but my efforts and focus have been on achieving what I have now and like with so many people once I got to what I set my mind to I haven't experienced the fulfilment I expected. If I said I feel like I'm rolling off a log each day, I'd say that was a good description.

I love fitness and being active and if I'm not to re-join I would look to move into doing something of this nature. I am fitter now than when I joined at 21 in 2009. I feel strong and fit and recover well. Having previously completed phase 1 & 2 I am confident physically I wont have a problem. I'm female and run the PFT in 11 mins.

The question I'm asking myself is am I crazy taking such a salary cut (more than half.) and handing over my autonomy at this time in my life?
I'm booked onto selection in March and my job choice is CMT or Comms System Engineer, which is totally different to what I previously did and is hopefully more suitable to an older recruit??
I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice. This is such a tough choice to make. On one hand I'm like 'go for it' on the other I'm 'you're nuts for considering this.'
Thanks in advance

2ndpreimage

Old-Salt
I had something similar, after 18 months, itch faded (good cream?), glad I stuck with the path I was on in the end.

Reserves not give you the best of both worlds? Alright, some of one world now and again.

why did you leave in the first place in 2013?
what was your trade and cap badge?

I had something similar, after 18 months, itch faded (good cream?), glad I stuck with the path I was on in the end.

Reserves not give you the best of both worlds? Alright, some of one world now and again.
Thank you for the response. Yes it would perhaps, but really I don't have the spare time I'd like to give to it. Weekends are usually spent working at short notice etc..

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
You could always buy a two seater sports car?
I’m obviously alluding to “are you just having a mid life crisis “?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The question I'm asking myself is am I crazy taking such a salary cut (more than half.) and handing over my autonomy at this time in my life?
Yes.

I've said it before and I'll say again: running about with people more than a decade younger than you for 18K a year? Chin it off and join the Army Reserve.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The opinion of the great collective minds in AARSE should not advise or influence your decision.

Take a hard look at what you actually want from life, then move forward.

The Army you left has changed, but you do still get free socks.

The opinion of the great collective minds in AARSE should not advise or influence your decision.

Take a hard look at what you actually want from life, then move forward.

The Army you left has changed, but you do still get free socks.
Free socks? They never mention this in the adverts. If only I'd known...

To be blunt....dont be bloody daft! If you've got an itch to scratch, as has been mentioned, join the Reserves. You will NOT enjoy going through training with what are basically children and instructors who are younger than you. You'll be kicking yourself at the end of the month when you open your pidly pay statement.
If you love the outdoors, take a sabbatical and go do Everest Base Camp or some such. Scratch that itch but don't make such a huge mistake as joining up.

As an older recruit Ammo Tech is a good choice. However, you should not apply if you can cope with being absolutely fücking awesome.

Oh, and you get to wear a pretty badge

1550845136625.jpeg

I have a mate who joined up in his thirties around 1999. He's still in, and a WO2/1 one now. But he had a string of normal level jobs before he joined.

If you've had serious responsibility up until now, you are going to find it very difficult to handle being treated like an infant. Perhaps look at some of the trades that come with rank etc, so at least you'll only be treated like a child during training - things like Nursing Corps (they'll pay for your nursing degree), ammo tech as stated above etc etc.

Hi,
I'm booked onto selection in March and my job choice is CMT or Comms System Engineer, which is totally different to what I previously did and is hopefully more suitable to an older recruit??
I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice. This is such a tough choice to make. On one hand I'm like 'go for it' on the other I'm 'you're nuts for considering this.'
Thanks in advance
Might be worth banging off an email to LIAG/LCSG, if they're still around, on the off-chance they'd take you as a PQO.

crustyrusty- No my Father needed care and it coincided for my 4 years. So that's why I got out.
Scarbrough- What is this? I have done a bit of research on the net quick but can't find anything?
Thanks for everyone's input

have you considered the RAF, lots of their jobs with skills pick up pay and rank quick, plus more chance of being treated as an adult and even JRs (not Regt) are conversate with a knife and fork to eat

I have a mate who joined up in his thirties around 1999. He's still in, and a WO2/1 one now. But he had a string of normal level jobs before he joined.

If you've had serious responsibility up until now, you are going to find it very difficult to handle being treated like an infant. Perhaps look at some of the trades that come with rank etc, so at least you'll only be treated like a child during training - things like Nursing Corps (they'll pay for your nursing degree), ammo tech as stated above etc etc.
Odd as the recruitment age was only raised from 26 to 33 in 2007.
Unless it was the RAF but, then, he wouldn't be WO2.

Odd as the recruitment age was only raised from 26 to 33 in 2007.
Unless it was the RAF but, then, he wouldn't be WO2.

I knew someone who went through basic in his 30s as AGC in 1998. That was for sure. Are you sure the RE didn’t open up the age in 99 too?

Édit: I just checked the age of the still serving mate who is now WO (from his school leaving year listed on LinkedIn). He joined in his late 20s my bad.

Did you have rank before you left? I knew a chap who was out for a few years, came back having been a SSGT when he left and managed to get back in as a Cpl. He managed to bypass basic, only having to do BFT, CFT, etc and then he had to redo his trade class one course a few yers later he was back to SSGT.

Latest Threads