321 EOD Book - A Special Kind of Courage

depot_donkey

Old-Salt
There is also a rumour of a new troop on its way in a sausagey place!

depot_donkey said:
There is also a rumour of a new troop on its way in a sausagey place!

What? Cumberland?

A Sqn in Toulouse would be great. Bagsy one of the TP WO slots.

depot_donkey

Old-Salt
Setting up a troop from scratch, sounds like a fate worse than death!

johnh605

Clanker
1R.Hamps said:
No mention of two of my old drinking partners.
Graham Goodrum GM and Rab Wharton QGM,or Andy Schumacher come to think of it.?????
It's a bit off thread but any idea where Rob is now? He was a good drinking partner of mine when he was a youngster at Kineton circa '74, Crazy man.

I knew Andy at Hounslow, he liked a drink too.

John H

thiswayup

Old-Salt
John,

If you're not already a member do a search for the Association of Ammunition Technicians.

We know where or someone knows where everyone is nowadays.

PM me if you wish.

HE117

LE
Flying Felix said:
No,

It comes from the RAOC Coy make up. The other Coy were (are now RLC Sqn) 521, 621, 721 & 821. I may be wrong but the TA Coy was 421.

I know this is a verra ancient thread... however, just for the sake of accuracy...

The TA had three EOD Coys 531, 631 and 731 whose role was to provide a UK EOD resource in War adn TTW.

In 2000 the three squadrons (as they were post amalgamation) disbanded and reformed as 531 Ammunion Technical Support Squadron(V), with a wider technical support remit and a world wide role.

HE117 said:
Flying Felix said:
No,

It comes from the RAOC Coy make up. The other Coy were (are now RLC Sqn) 521, 621, 721 & 821. I may be wrong but the TA Coy was 421.

I know this is a verra ancient thread... however, just for the sake of accuracy...

The TA had three EOD Coys 531, 631 and 731 whose role was to provide a UK EOD resource in War adn TTW.

In 2000 the three squadrons (as they were post amalgamation) disbanded and reformed as 531 Ammunion Technical Support Squadron(V), with a wider technical support remit and a world wide role.

Never mind this tomt1t. I shall be in theHeimatland after 5th Dec 09 for a week. We will discuss 321 whilst bubbling like burst arrseholes over a very small whisky!

HE117

LE
Ianeon said:
Does anyone know what happened to XXXXX XXXXXXX ???

Oi Mate...

To the best of my knowledge, this individual is still alive & well (although no longer serving)...

So...

1. Can you please remove his name from the thread NOW please..
2. Read the rules regarding OPSEC before asking any more bone questions... :x

(...and before you ask; No, I am not he...!)

Ianeon

Swinger
Thank you for that.
I know that he is no longer serving - I know what happened to him after he retired. I know where he worked and the trouble he got into. Then I lost touch with him. We were very close in a military sense - lol.

rmgbem

Old-Salt
Mike_2817 said:
The new book about 321 EOD is being serialised in the "Belfast Sunday Life" newspaper

'A Special Kind of Courage' is written by Chris Ryder who also wrote about the R.U.C. and U.D.R. and is about 321 EOD Company RAOC (later 321 EOD Squadron RLC)

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/

and at http://raoconline.tk/ if the above link is down.

Plus the following editorial:

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/features/story.jsp?story=632654

Sunday Life Comment: A debt we need to pay

24 April 2005

THE people of this province owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to the Army bomb disposal units.

For over 30 years, they risked life and limb - battling to defuse terrorist bombs.

It is impossible to assess, accurately, how many buildings and lives they saved.

But, their contribution to the fight against terrorism is a considerable one, which should not go unrecognised.

There is a strong case for repeating the honour bestowed on the RUC - by giving 321 EOD the George Cross.

For they displayed a special kind of bravery.

While the rest of us were ushered away from bomb scenes, these ice-cool technicians stayed put.

Down the years, the unit was given a battery of robots and electronic gadgetry - to help and protect them, in their task

But, when the explosives were X-rayed, and the controlled explosions carried out, the ATO - in his cumbersome, protective gear - had to make the 'long walk', to check and remove the devices.

Author Chris Ryder has captured their bravery and skill, in his new book: 'A Special Kind of Courage' - a title that sums up the bomb disposal teams to perfection.

Book is not yet published, but can be ordered in advance from:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0413772764/?tag=armrumser-21

Hardcover 352 pages (Due May 5, 2005)
Publisher: Methuen Publishing Ltd
ISBN: 0413772764

CR was today interviewed on Radio 4's "Saturday Live" show at 0900hrs. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rd3w6. Available on BBC iPlayer - commended to all.

rmgbem

Old-Salt
Ianeon said:
Thank you for that.
I know that he is no longer serving - I know what happened to him after he retired. I know where he worked and the trouble he got into. Then I lost touch with him. We were very close in a military sense - lol.

PM me your details and I'll forward them on.

Ianeon

Swinger
rmgbem said:
Ianeon said:
Thank you for that.

PM me your details and I'll forward them on.

Did you ?????

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman :)

421 was a shadow EOD company based at Kineton. A long time ago.

I completed my course in ‘92 then licences as a number 2 for 421. It was a bit strange having been trained on mk8 wheelbarrows to go to the mk7.

HE117

LE

What... What.. hoozat?

Oh it's You RM? How are they hanging? Obviously reached that point in the boredom stakes... I dunno, there should be rules about unearthing decade old threads..

.. you even woke up Ding!

Last edited:

HE117

LE
Shadow company? I thought that was Riggs old unit in Lethal Weapon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What - East Riggs?

Latest Threads