32 year old thinking of joining reserves; either 4 PARA or Royal Artillery

I think there are a number of good reasons for going reserve. Personally, I've had a pretty shite couple of years and have got my affairs in order to the point where I can look at how I am using my spare time and being honest I wanted to do something beyond the usual gym training routine, seeing your mates down the local etc etc. A second income is a big bonus too (single chap, single income, outrageous cost of living in the south) under no illusions its not mega bucks but it all helps.

So far so good!
If you’ve got the spare time it’s an interesting second job and one that will offer you more interesting alternatives than almost anything else you could chose to do with your time.

And you get to shoot things.

Regardless though, whether someone was 25 or 35, as long as they have the ability to serve competently and with 100% efficiency, does age matter really? Ok so the regs have the advantage of course, its theyre job full time day in and day out. But if someone passes out with theyre regiment of choice as a reservist and say the 'war dream' happens to come around again, i know i would give 110% the same as the rest? Just curious, i have no previous experience so excuse if i come across a mong
As long as you are fit enough and won’t have an issue with being subordinate to people significantly younger than you then I wouldn’t say it matters.

I would however say that, assuming you have options re. different units, if you can do it go for something hard/challenging or something you find interesting.

Last edited:

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You will get more years of service in as a Gunner at your age . As for phys , enlisting is a slow process due to capita so get training and go to see unit while still getting fit. What is called concurrent activity.

Good luck

ScreamingHat

Swinger
My local unit have been spot on. Joined for a PT session last week and attending a recruit weekend in January. General message seems to be you get back what you put in.

As for Capita....slow but not horrendous so far. Seems to be a case of you chasing them and not the other way around.

Fitness wise, i'm at the end of a lifting programme so gonna jump on the cardio now and get back up to speed. Need a good pair of running shoes too so the January sales could be the one!

windswept398

Old-Salt
I see my posts have been getting deleted.
Probably cause of my remarks about middle aged men dodging wars.

I see my posts have been getting deleted.
Probably cause of my remarks about middle aged men dodging wars.
yeah, it's because this thread is in the recruiting section and is moderated quite closely. feel free to start a thread on the matter on another part of the site and you'll be good to pile in

windswept398

Old-Salt
yeah, it's because this thread is in the recruiting section and is moderated quite closely. feel free to start a thread on the matter on another part of the site and you'll be good to pile in
Fair one. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Snapper 25

Clanker
I really don't get this urge to join in middle age, especially without prior experience.
The people who join in their 30's and 40's probably always wanted to join when they were younger but for one reason or another never. The reserves lets them experience the military life that they missed out on.
I joined in my mid 30's and some of the fittest and most popular recruits were the guys in their late 40's.

windswept398

Old-Salt
The people who join in their 30's and 40's probably always wanted to join when they were younger but for one reason or another never. The reserves lets them experience the military life that they missed out on.
I joined in my mid 30's and some of the fittest and most popular recruits were the guys in their late 40's.
I can agree with that. There comes a wisdom with age alright. And I've met some terrific lads who aren't so young. But equally, some of the most ll ill disciplined, arrogant and useless troops I've ever met were guys that decided to soldier part time in their middle-age. There is a reason most armies recruit young.

Snapper 25

Clanker
I can agree with that. There comes a wisdom with age alright. And I've met some terrific lads who aren't so young. But equally, some of the most ll ill disciplined, arrogant and useless troops I've ever met were guys that decided to soldier part time in their middle-age. There is a reason most armies recruit young.
Were they ill disciplined, arrogant and useless because if their age though?. Those same people if they joined at 18 would be just the same.

windswept398

Old-Salt
Were they ill disciplined, arrogant and useless because if their age though?. Those same people if they joined at 18 would be just the same.
That's a point. But from what I saw, when I was 18 and undergoing training, we were more easily moulded. Men in their 30/40s with their own views and life experiences aren't so much.

ScreamingHat

Swinger
I think I am better suited joining (in some capacity) at 30+ - got a bit of life experience, know what I want to achieve in the next year or so. Far cry from when I was 17-18 with a half arsed idea of joining the forces and never seeing it through due to various reasons. Now is the perfect time in my situation, I am very motivated!

Calimero

Swinger
I rejoined after 11 years out, 38 and I broke my leg, by the time I did my CIC I was knocking on 40! I knew exactly what was going to happen as I did it many years ago but Catterick in February nearly done me, I then did my PNCO at 42 and f**k me that was hard then my JNCO at 43 and I tell you I am done in. Still enjoy it though, like I did in my twenties, sort of. I just need to find something interesting to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Duke

LE
Fair one. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
This just about saved you from a nice long rest from posting on here. A reminder, yet again, that if your post isn’t accurate, current and helpful to the potential recruit asking the question it doesn’t belong in this forum.

You can take comedy or internet chest-beating to the NAAFI.

windswept398

Old-Salt
This just about saved you from a nice long rest from posting on here. A reminder, yet again, that if your post isn’t accurate, current and helpful to the potential recruit asking the question it doesn’t belong in this forum.

You can take comedy or internet chest-beating to the NAAFI.
First off, I'm sorry. I actually mean that.

Second, I didn't realise that my opinion (as a former infantry regular, turned current reserve, amounting to over fifteen years service, including Afghan) on the current crop of aged recruits would be considered so inflammatory. What I said is truth. How people feel on that is not my concern. I wasn't 'chest-beating' nor trying to be comical. I was being blunt. Being blunt is something any potential will have to get really familiar with in the army, regular or reserve.

Third, your house your rules. I'll piss off and leave you to it.

I'd say good luck to all the potentials on here, but I believe the concept of luck was invented by the Weak to explain their failures.
So, make it happen. :)

Hi folks,
I’m new to the site but find myself in a similar position in wanting to join as a reserve at 31. Interesting read to say the least, but not surprising either. The problem is that people will try to ‘pigeon hole’ others - when in actual fact, everyone is different and has their reasons/history.

As an observation - I also find it interesting that people in their 30’s are classed as middle aged...

For those who are ‘purists’ - I accept it’s hard to understand why people join later on, but again people have a whole range of reasons. The reserves can be a 2-way thing, they learn new skills/trades whilst committing (I assume) appreciated time. These skills can then better or enhance their full-time roles (whether that’s something you personally look positively on is down to the individual I suppose).

Hi folks,
I’m new to the site but find myself in a similar position in wanting to join as a reserve at 31. Interesting read to say the least, but not surprising either. The problem is that people will try to ‘pigeon hole’ others - when in actual fact, everyone is different and has their reasons/history.

As an observation - I also find it interesting that people in their 30’s are classed as middle aged...

For those who are ‘purists’ - I accept it’s hard to understand why people join later on, but again people have a whole range of reasons. The reserves can be a 2-way thing, they learn new skills/trades whilst committing (I assume) appreciated time. These skills can then better or enhance their full-time roles (whether that’s something you personally look positively on is down to the individual I suppose).
You could well feel middle aged when you're sharing a shower, bog and room with lads ten years younger than you.
BTW, Scorpio? Are you a Dirty Harry fan?

Lol, as a 31 year old I’d like to think that I’m just more mature and that I have another 10 years before I hit middle age!

A Dirty Harry fan? Why do you ask?

Latest Threads