32 year old thinking of joining reserves; either 4 PARA or Royal Artillery

ScreamingHat

Swinger
Got my selection dates through yesterday :) off to Pirbright in February for fun and games. Dusted off the running shoes last night and clocked a respectable (ish) time for a couple of km but work to be done. I'm a powerlifter at 93kg weight so adjusting the training will be good in the new year, shift some of this excess!

Exactly, i think for me mixing it up is a big part of why I am pursuing a reserves career. I am also hoping it will help transition my career in civvie street.

Keep you posted.

personally i thought it made more sense if you dont have prior experience
I get it for ex regulars. Few years on civvie street, getting a bit bored, don't want the regular b******t. But what I don't get is someone, thirties, forties, even fifties now, wakes up one morning and thinks " I know, i'm going to join the Army. I've never worn a uniform in my life, but that doesn't matter".
I know its cheaper than buying a Porsche and a leather jacket, but there must be easier ways of handling a mid life crisis.

I get it for ex regulars. Few years on civvie street, getting a bit bored, don't want the regular b******t. But what I don't get is someone, thirties, forties, even fifties now, wakes up one morning and thinks " I know, i'm going to join the Army. I've never worn a uniform in my life, but that doesn't matter".
I know its cheaper than buying a Porsche and a leather jacket, but there must be easier ways of handling a mid life crisis.
i only ever served as a reservist but i enjoyed doing something "a bit different". i think its as simple as that for a lot of people who maybe dont want a full army career* the reserves can offer opportunities to do things which were outwith the experience of most people. they might not have felt they had the time to do that until later in life as they were busy building that life.

personally when i had that "what next?" moment in my 30's i'd already done the TA thing so went in a different direction. if i hadnt i think might have joined.

what i find strange about rejoining is that any romantic notions or nostalgia you might feel watching blokes run around playing soldiers there's always a part of you which will remember the feeling of rain water successfully permeating its way through all of your clothing until it arrives at your crotch and ********. And if you can do that and still sign back on then you're a better man than me.

*i'd planned on joining but once i'd decided it wasnt for me the TA was just army on my terms (which is how i saw the TA....which i know some people think is not necessarily a good thing) and it suited me down to the ground.

Last edited:
i only ever served as a reservist but i enjoyed doing something "a bit different". i think its as simple as that for a lot of people who maybe dont want a full army career* the reserves can offer opportunities to do things which were outwith the experience of most people. they might not have felt they had the time to do that until later in life as they were busy building that life.

personally when i had that "what next?" moment in my 30's i'd already done the TA thing so went in a different direction. if i hadnt i think might have joined.

what i find strange about rejoining is that any romantic notions or nostalgia you might feel watching blokes run around playing soldiers there's always a part of you which will remember the feeling of rain water successfully permeating its way through all of your clothing until it arrives at your crotch and ********. And if you can do that and still sign back on then you're a better man than me.

*i'd planned on joining but once i'd decided it wasnt for me the army on my terms (which is how i saw the TA....which i know some people think is not necessarily a good thing).
I've known a few ex TA rejoin, so I should have included them in my post.
It's the lifelong civvies joining at forty something etc that I just can't fathom.

Hey all,

I've always wanted to join the forces but at the age of 25 I failed to complete my royal marines entry due to back pain. I now work as an engineer after getting my university degree and I absolutely love my job. However, I still have the 'itch' of being a part of the armed forces. I'm seriously considering joining a reserve unit as either a soldier or officer. maybe the PARAS but not sure I'm my body can take it! The royal artillery sounds interesting. My fitness isn't great but I'm working on that. The idea of joining the forces sounds great to me but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time; I know that if I talk to my wife or family they'll just tell me to focus on my career instead. Is it worth doing this at 32?
What type of engineer are you?

I've known a few ex TA rejoin, so I should have included them in my post.
It's the lifelong civvies joining at forty something etc that I just can't fathom.
I’ve a mate of mine who’s in the yeomanry and I have moments when I see his pics where I feel pretty jealous.

But then I remember the rainwater seeping into my asscrack and it passes.

Edited to add; All the best to those joining or rejoining, it’s a great thing

I’ve a mate of mine who’s in the yeomanry and I have moments when I see his pics where I feel pretty jealous.

As soon as I joined the TA I had an 'oh, shit' moment. All the getting frigged about, etc. As soon as I could I went to a unit with a more grown up attitude.
That doesn't mean that I didn't think "why am I here" on some of those wet, cold Saturday nights in the field.

ScreamingHat

Swinger
I think there are a number of good reasons for going reserve. Personally, I've had a pretty shite couple of years and have got my affairs in order to the point where I can look at how I am using my spare time and being honest I wanted to do something beyond the usual gym training routine, seeing your mates down the local etc etc. A second income is a big bonus too (single chap, single income, outrageous cost of living in the south) under no illusions its not mega bucks but it all helps.

So far so good!

You should try our TACP Battery. No rainwater in a hotel room. It’s like being in the RAF bit without the stigma.

You should try our TACP Battery. No rainwater in a hotel room. It’s like being in the RAF bit without the stigma.
Get thee behind me Satan!

All joking aside I have already had a swatch at your unit (looks really interesting) in one of my weaker moments but the AR is something i cant commit to for one reason or another at the moment* but as i recall you joined just a few years short of the grave so maybe i'll change my mind in a few years

*even if i did i'm not sure i'd pass a medical post knee op, dodgy ankle and what looks like nerve damage in my shoulders and arms. one things for certain, my days as an infanteer are well behind me.

Buckyboy34

Swinger
Regardless though, whether someone was 25 or 35, as long as they have the ability to serve competently and with 100% efficiency, does age matter really? Ok so the regs have the advantage of course, its theyre job full time day in and day out. But if someone passes out with theyre regiment of choice as a reservist and say the 'war dream' happens to come around again, i know i would give 110% the same as the rest? Just curious, i have no previous experience so excuse if i come across a mong

Buckyboy34

Swinger
Got my selection dates through yesterday :) off to Pirbright in February for fun and games. Dusted off the running shoes last night and clocked a respectable (ish) time for a couple of km but work to be done. I'm a powerlifter at 93kg weight so adjusting the training will be good in the new year, shift some of this excess!

Exactly, i think for me mixing it up is a big part of why I am pursuing a reserves career. I am also hoping it will help transition my career in civvie street.

Keep you posted.
Good stuff!! Keep hitting them roads and smash it mate. All the best to you, enjoy it whilst your there and do your best. Its all they ask! As a powerlifter you'll do fine with the medicine ball throw and mid thy pull no doubt. Im more of a runner so built more like a twig and still passed the ball throw and thy pull! Defo post how you got on, any questions can always ask.

Latest Threads