32 year old thinking of joining reserves; either 4 PARA or Royal Artillery

GA87

Crow
Hey all,

I've always wanted to join the forces but at the age of 25 I failed to complete my royal marines entry due to back pain. I now work as an engineer after getting my university degree and I absolutely love my job. However, I still have the 'itch' of being a part of the armed forces. I'm seriously considering joining a reserve unit as either a soldier or officer. maybe the PARAS but not sure I'm my body can take it! The royal artillery sounds interesting. My fitness isn't great but I'm working on that. The idea of joining the forces sounds great to me but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time; I know that if I talk to my wife or family they'll just tell me to focus on my career instead. Is it worth doing this at 32?

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Sign up for the Artillery, you’ve already made your decision. You only regret the things you don’t do, forget what the Mrs and Family says, or what you think they might say.

Just do it, sign up right now tonight and stop toe dipping, just jump in.

Jammy66

War Hero
My fitness isn't great but I'm working on that.
I would sort this out first. If you can't run fast enough or are too fat they won't take you. The required standards for the various roles are all on the Army website. As they're minimum standards my advice would be to get yourself to that level first then apply.

Hey all,

I've always wanted to join the forces but at the age of 25 I failed to complete my royal marines entry due to back pain. I now work as an engineer after getting my university degree and I absolutely love my job. However, I still have the 'itch' of being a part of the armed forces. I'm seriously considering joining a reserve unit as either a soldier or officer. maybe the PARAS but not sure I'm my body can take it! The royal artillery sounds interesting. My fitness isn't great but I'm working on that. The idea of joining the forces sounds great to me but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time; I know that if I talk to my wife or family they'll just tell me to focus on my career instead. Is it worth doing this at 32?
Give the Gunners a go if you've any concerns about age and back pain.

My TSM (Yep, I was a Dropshort) preferred more mature, settled family men for soldiers as the youngsters who were keen and competent very often got a taste for it and joined the Regs after a few years. The not-so tended to hang around the lower ranks before disappearing.
The longer serving Reservist builds a better skillset and provides a good core to the unit.

Give it a go because you seem very keen and you'll "What if?" yourself into an aneurysm if you don't.
Get fit and Good luck.

InvictusNow

Swinger
Ditto at age 45.

Also echo the comment to sort your fitness out first, even if that means you are older when you join. I am much fitter at 45 than i ever was at 32 (and know it wouldn't have been right for me then). But also less than I was in my early 20's running a marathon at a decent clip.

I also know that - genuinely - I will give more years of useful, focused service than i ever would have done if i'd joined when i wasn't ready in my 20's or even 30's.

To me it sounds like you are quite motivated right now so i would work out what the physical entry requirements are for (1) first choice (2) second choice etc, break it all down and work on it all until you are ready and go for it!

Sort your fitness out but it’s definitely worth doing at 32. I joined a month before my 51st.

Ditto at age 45.

Also echo the comment to sort your fitness out first, even if that means you are older when you join. I am much fitter at 45 than i ever was at 32 (and know it wouldn't have been right for me then). But also less than I was in my early 20's running a marathon at a decent clip.

I also know that - genuinely - I will give more years of useful, focused service than i ever would have done if i'd joined when i wasn't ready in my 20's or even 30's.

To me it sounds like you are quite motivated right now so i would work out what the physical entry requirements are for (1) first choice (2) second choice etc, break it all down and work on it all until you are ready and go for it!
Then, when you’re happy about your fitness, get in touch with me about joining 255 TACP (tactical air control party) Battery RA at Bath (we recruit nationally) and doing possibly the best job (with lots of travel) in the army.

Sorry, forgot to say “shameless plug alert”

If you can't run fast enough or are too fat they won't take you.
Tosh. You’ll get advice on how to improve and encouragment for the former, and maybe advised to lose some lumber if you’re heading towards obesity.

Sign up for the Artillery, you’ve already made your decision. You only regret the things you don’t do, forget what the Mrs and Family says, or what you think they might say.

Just do it, sign up right now tonight and stop toe dipping, just jump in.
The Mrs. will dig it when you turn up in combats.

Edit... this is an underarm lob... who's first?

Jammy66

War Hero
Tosh. You’ll get advice on how to improve and encouragment for the former, and maybe advised to lose some lumber if you’re heading towards obesity.
Not when you get to phase 1 you won't. Better to up the fitness first IMHO rather than being a work in progress.

Not when you get to phase 1 you won't. Better to up the fitness first IMHO rather than being a work in progress.
Agreed, but given the time it still takes to get to that point there's no need to panic.

ScreamingHat

Swinger
Hi @GA87 - I'm in the same boat, 30 years old and going for it. Passed medical triage yesterday and just waiting to hear back from my recruiter re next steps, go for it. Nothing to lose.

Buckyboy34

Swinger
Go for it mate. 35, just completed selection and smashed the youth that also wanted paras ( im going 4 para - reserve being a family man ) if it doesnt work out, you know you done what you could. Just give it 100%, commit and see how it goes for you. You may have always wanted it, but you may realise it wasnt for you. I loved selection, so canny wait for the rest! If you havent already, apply online and get the ball rolling, it can be a lengthy process. Good luck

ScreamingHat

Swinger
@Buckyboy34 nice one mate! How did you find the selection process? I'm down at my local unit in January to start preparing now I've sorted out the medical side, cant wait to get started. Going CMT attached to local infantry reg :)

Buckyboy34

Swinger
@ScreamingHat up to selection, pretty straight forward. Good few months, but just meant more training to get myself fitter and stronger. Selection itself was good, the medical bit is horrifically long! So many people getting turned away for having slightly high BP or having a cough,seemed mad. Nice one bud, keep it up and just keep running! Ive found HiiT sessions quite good if i cant get out on the roads. All the best, keep us updated

GA87

Crow
Go for it mate. 35, just completed selection and smashed the youth that also wanted paras ( im going 4 para - reserve being a family man ) if it doesnt work out, you know you done what you could. Just give it 100%, commit and see how it goes for you. You may have always wanted it, but you may realise it wasnt for you. I loved selection, so canny wait for the rest! If you havent already, apply online and get the ball rolling, it can be a lengthy process. Good luck
Thank you all for the replies; I appreciate it! Buckyboy, cool to see you going for 4 para. What is your training routine like? I take it you're out running about 4 times a week?

ScreamingHat

Swinger
I really don't get this urge to join in middle age, especially without prior experience.
I guess everyone has their reasons, I'm not content to sit at my desk for the next 35 years and fancied a challenge, new qualifications, meet new people etc. So far the experience has been nothing but positive, met the lads at my local unit on Friday and will be joining in the new year for drill night etc. Can't wait to get started.

I left the regular Army in the late 90's and joined the TA in '02 at the age of 35. Mainly to get back on operations, which I did. My last job was recruit training, a lot of older recruits (thirties, forties) found the course hard in lots of ways.

Buckyboy34

Swinger
I run as often as i can, always been into running anyways! Mixing it up helps cover it all! In my late teens and into my twenties life took me on a different path, so didnt join the military. Its something ive always wanted to be a part of. Ive enjoyed all of it so far and hope to do so for many a year. And at 35 i feel much more stronger mentally and physically, i have the whole 2.4 and now is a good time for me. The Army Reserve has its place and im looking forward to being a part of it.

Latest Threads