32 regiment questions

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Tim.riley, Aug 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I'm just going through the selection process now and I have a strong interest in joining 32 reg. My cousin has been in for 24 years and is a WO2 so he's given me some info.
    I was just wondering if I went along this career path, would I have a lot of opportunities to travel and would I be working with the watchkeeper or the smaller drones, desert hawk etc.
    Also, if I was deployed on operations to Afghanistan where would I be based and would I be expected to go on an infanteer role? I don't mind doing a few security
    Patrols but if I wanted to do that every single day I would join the infantry.

Cheers for any help!

2. Ive been out of 32 a few years now but from what I can gather from mates is They will be operating TUAV (big ones) and MUAV (small ones) plus all the other kit (signals tac party kit ect).

If your on an TUAV det you will be in bastion and will probably have to stag on doing sangers aswell as your role

If your in a MUAV det you will be in a FOB/PB and will stag on sangers and you may have to/want to do patrols to backfill numbers ect

As for not really wanting to do patrols It wont be up to you anyway and if you dont fancy doing lots/any patrols dont bother joining at all your going to be a soldier at the end of the day.

3. Ok cheers for that! And yeah that came out wrong a bit,I meant as in I want to be in role when I deploy, I do want the experience of doing patrols, I just also want to be taking part in my role with the uav's.
    I do realise that every soldier in the army is a fighting soldier first and foremost.

Cheers again!

4. Im currently applying for the RA 32/47 reg and have selection on oct 11. i was wondering if anyone can give me as much info on whats happening with the 47th reg and battalion info and if anybody is/has done the para course aswell as serving in the RA. also do you get to pick if you do eight TUAV or MUAV ?. thank you

5. 47 Regt are re-roling (maybe temporarily) to UAS (unmanned air systems) to line up alongside 32 Regt. They use (as detailed above) TUAVs (Big drones - used to be Phoenix, soon to be Watchkeeper, there is a stop gap being used at the moment) and MUAVs (mini drones of different sorts). There are also other systems that do the same jobs - surveillance from unmanned air platforms.

Loads of people do the para course in the RA - normally 7 Para RHA, 29 Cdo RA (if on OPs), 148 Bty.

I don't understand the question about eight TUAV or MUAV, but I think you mean do you choose which UAV you will operate - probably not. I think 47 are to predominantly use the MUAVs, but it depends exactly which area of the system you train on - you may be able to convert. Need a UAV expert to help on that one.

6. Tim.

Take your time when choosing what RA Regiment you want to finally be posted to. Wait until you get to phase 2 as the Gunners offer many different and varied roles. However, if UAVs are your thing then fill yer boots and volunteer for 32 or 47 as both now do the same job.

You WILL go on tour that is certain. Probably with the smaller UAVs at first and further forward but if you remain in the UAV world then in all probability you will spend time, as you progress through the ranks, also in the larger UAVs. They are based in Camp Bastion. All in all UAVs are good choice as they are here to stay unlike some other equipments currently in the Royal Regiment.

7. I am also curious about the state of affairs in 32 REG due to a possibility of going on H14 with them, I believe it will be with 57 Bty.
    I am a reservist and previously deployed with 47REG 21AA Bty and had a great time with them using MUAV (DH3), unfortunately I could not make H13 with them due to work commitments so I believe will be offered the next UAV slot. My worry is that I have been given advice by regular gunners (most 47 so obviously sceptical of their advice) and TA personal currently mobilised with 32 to wait out and avoid the REG.
    Anyone who has worked with 57 Bty or 32 in general, I would love to hear some feedback or advice. Firstly about how the Bty conducts itself as I imagine its a professional unit and the 'advice' iv been given so far is just inter-regimental rivalry. Second, being TA we are trained to use MUAV (DH3). This is the role we perform? It appears some reserves have been mobilised and seem surplus to requirements and ended up assigned to TUAV. Due to the nature of the UAV and being unable to be trained on the equipment have ended up as 'wind walkers'.....judging from feedback from these people its a scenario I wish to avoid.

8. i am with 32 regt 43 bty and on a ftrs posting, all i can say is the bty i am with is a total F**k up i have wasted the best part of 14mths with the promise of deploying only to be told sorry cant deploy as u r P3 at the moment even though 2 TA have been P3 and can deploy. if being honest this regt is badly run with snco,s bullying young ranks.
    so many are trying to get out of this regt due to how bad it is look to other regts this one is shi*

Maybe they have a reg who is more/better qualified than you and is not downgraded.Why not try bumping your gums to the the RCMO instead of on here .As for the bullying get a grip nobody would ever get away with it in this day.

david104329
    I am also curious about the state of affairs in 32 REG due to a possibility of going on H14 with them, I believe it will be with 57 Bty.
    I am a reservist and previously deployed with 47REG 21AA Bty and had a great time with them using MUAV (DH3), unfortunately I could not make H13 with them due to work commitments so I believe will be offered the next UAV slot. My worry is that I have been given advice by regular gunners (most 47 so obviously sceptical of their advice) and TA personal currently mobilised with 32 to wait out and avoid the REG.
    Anyone who has worked with 57 Bty or 32 in general, I would love to hear some feedback or advice. Firstly about how the Bty conducts itself as I imagine its a professional unit and the 'advice' iv been given so far is just inter-regimental rivalry. Second, being TA we are trained to use MUAV (DH3). This is the role we perform? It appears some reserves have been mobilised and seem surplus to requirements and ended up assigned to TUAV. Due to the nature of the UAV and being unable to be trained on the equipment have ended up as 'wind walkers'.....judging from feedback from these people its a scenario I wish to avoid

57 is the best Bty in 32 hands down with top blokes aswell.This was my old bty before I went over to the FST world.If your worried about what role you will be doing ask the RCMO.Im not TUAV trained and I dont know how a TUAV bty works but with out the courses I can see a bright future in MT.

I cant stress enough RCMO is the man to speak to

9. Thanks, got in touch with the Bty and seem a good bunch on first impressions and it looks like I will be doing the DH3 Muav role which trained in, so will look forward to joining them at the end of the year

10. 47 is currently using MUAVs (DH3) but is due to use to TUAVs in the near future. Not sure if you're able to pick whether you can do MUAV or TUAV.

If you go to 47, you can become part of 21 Bty who are the Air Assault Bty op commed to 16 Air Assault Bde at the moment. The majority of 21 Bty soldiers are para trained.

11. Ive been away with 21 AA before and must admit they are great bunch of lads. Although I've heard a rumour that this is their last deployment in the airborne role as there is no need for it in a UAV role. It has been said that 12 REG who are also located on Thorney will gain the course.

12. There was talk of 21 Bty no longer being OP Commed to 16 Air Assault but i'm not sure if this has been finalised. They're deploying at this moment in a UAV role.

Not sure about 12 Regt gaining the course as they're in the process of re roling to CAD. But if that's true, then surely the majority of 21 would ask to be posted???

I'll ask some of the guys and let you know what they say.

13. I've not heard too much about the roles, type of airframe to work on etc, but I'll chuck in my two pence worth.

47 are re-roling to a full UAV type regiment. In this new format, 47 and 32 will basically mirror one another, in that 32 are taking on DH3 and 47 taking on Hermes. All of the other stuff is a wait and see exercise, all I've heard confirmed otherwise is T-hawk.

So far as choosing what you work on, I honestly don't know. I would say that if you are lucky enough to be able to express a preference, go for DH3 first off. Hermes just doesn't have the crew slots for gunners, the whole thing is NCO heavy, and from speaking to the young boys in Bastion they are pretty threaders with bouncing between duty driver and sangars for 6 months. Leave the Hermes for later on after you have had a 'fix' of going out to the CPs and PBs, as once Hermes, you won't leave Bastion for the tour. Saying that, there are a lot of people that actually appeals to...

I don't know for certain what will be happening regards to movement of troops between the two regiments in the UK to pass on operational knowledge. All we have been told is that nobody will be forced to move, but I do believe the option will be there for those twisted folk that actually want to leave Thorney Island to go and suffer in Lulworth!

With regards to the whole 21 Bty thing, again I'm not too sure. They are relieving us this rotation as a part of 16 Bde, but as best as I am aware (going from what I was told prior to deploying), after this tour they are back to blue berets, and along with the rest of the regiment will come under the 1 Arty rams head. What that means in the world of jumping out of planes with anti-plane bombs, god knows.

This is my first tour on DH3, and I'll be honest it isn't all I expected it to be. It's a busy job at times, with a good bit of satisfaction once you get a good result, but to be honest I've spent a lot of this tour bored as hell, completely different to any other tour I've done. It all depends on where you go and who you are attatched to, each infantry company works differently, and each company commander wants you to have a different product to the last.

Off tour, again- I have no idea what my general working day is going to be. No more Stormers to work on, limited flying in the UK, so I'm just keeping an open mind. I've heard rumours of BATUS deployments, but as with everything else, I'll know nothing for certain until I'm back in the UK.

To summarise... Come to 47- we do the same job, but we have a beach :D