chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Whereabouts are you?

East London/Essex
Royal Marine Reserve London

Royal Marines Reserve RMR London.

B Company 4 Para have a detatchment in London.

4th Battalion The Parachute Regiment.

4 Para also have a recruitment advice thread on this site.

If you have a good well paying job at the moment I wouldn't give it up in these times. Try the reserves first. It might give you the excitment you are looking for without giving up your home life.

4 Para as well as being a formed unit also support 2Para and 3Para with individuals and sub units if needed. There may also be a chance to go on overseas exercises with those units to places like Kenya or the USA and the opportunity to serve on full time reserve engagements with the regular battalions.

Royal signals reserve regiments.

71 City of london Regt and 68 inns of court signals Regt,
East london. 900 Lea bridge road,( Whipps cross end.)
0207-7405812.

Signals have an airborne regiment, and an SAS squadron.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Its now 63 UKSF Squadron. Looking at their website I think you need a background in comms for most of their roles. I don't think there is a Signals reserve airborne regiment?
Thank you for the info. The OP can apply to Airborne or SAS from full time regiments of signals once he is proficient in his chosen trade. He can also join the reserves, straight from the street, his choice.

Yes, but you'll likely have to start again at the beginning.

Has not been true for some years. Yes, if there’s a vacancy and your reserve CoC will support it. Retention of rank, seniority, trade quals &c on a case-by-case basis.

If, however, the effects of COVID on recruiting are as positive as I’ve been told, I wouldn’t count on that window being open when it suits you. If your ultimate goal is regular service, just cut out the middleman and join the regulars.

Hi gents, I’m 23 and have decided to apply for either the Paras or Royal Marines, I’ve wanted to do it all my life but I’ve always put it off trying to find a civilian career that I liked. Currently I’m working on the rail which is a piece of piss and pays well but just doesn’t scratch that itch. But I’m in two minds whether to go full time or reserves so naturally I’ve come here to ask some strangers on the internet for advice lol. I’m considering reserves to have more time with my other half and be able to continue pursuing passions outside of work like travel and sports, then start a civilian career in something like the fire brigade. Even though that all sounds good it feels somewhat half arsed, I want to be the best I can be as a soldier but still have a life outside of work.
How much are you on a hour?
When I worked on London Midland it was £35.50.
Just do some overtime

Snapper 25

Old-Salt
Defo go reserves if you have a well paying job and a partner.
You can do almost every course/ exercise/ deployment that's open to the regs with the reserves. The only thing that will stop you is getting the time off from work and your partner.
Plus if you really love it you can transfer straight in to the regs.

Defo go reserves if you have a well paying job and a partner.
You can do almost every course/ exercise/ deployment that's open to the regs with the reserves. The only thing that will stop you is getting the time off from work and your partner.
Plus if you really love it you can transfer straight in to the regs.
Are you sure?

Army Reserves - more chances for (buckshee) ‘ops’, but if you decide to go regs later, they may treat you as a new applicant.

RMR - fairly easy to go from fully trained reservist to regs without redoing training, however ops are non-existent atm.

Latest Threads