.303 surplus

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Jubbles, Aug 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems to me that 303 surplus has pretty much dissapeared other than the pakistani stuff, does anyone know where I can get some?

I have heard that the gov't destroyed huge quantities of .303 is this true?

2. The vast majority of it has dried up, the last true surplus I saw was South African which the army imported a quantity of for the vickers machine gun shoot at Bisley around 2000?
    LERA certainly has none, it's all Privi and S&B at the moment.

3. 303 surplus?

You're having a laugh, right?

Prvi/S&B/FNM is all that there is likely to be from now on in.

Unless someone discovers a bunker full of the stuff somewhere and it doesn't get shipped to the states...

4. Norma used to make it with boxer primers back in the 80s dont have a 303 now so not up tp date

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have enough thanks!

6. There are rumours in the Trade of two large overseas stashes involving millions of rounds (British military), but that both opportunities are stymied or rendered uneconomic by EU regulations to do with packaging & shipping.

If you think that there probably over 100 countries and territories using .303 post-WW2, there must still be a fair amount of it out there in small quantities.

7. The last batch of .303 procured by MOD was HXP (greek) for the cadets to cover the gap before the introduction of the Cadet GP rifle in the 80s..

There are still odd bits of stock around, but they are all spoken for.. (mostly Warminster and Shriv for firing demos.. etc)

... anything that arises will most probably meet a firey end in the Avocet..

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We had to buy in HXP in the late 70's as RG stocks were too low. Then magically more appeared in the late 80's, cue the mid 90's and it was thin on the ground again and RG found a million rounds or so of Berdan primed 1950's production. The NRA ordered a few hundred thousand and asked to reserve a few more. RG aka Bae then disposed of the rest including the reserved but not paid for NRA amount!
    Kynamco remanufactured a fair few South African 1970's production and I have some of these, some HXP and some RG. I also seem to have a fair few PPU or Privi made rounds kicking about!
    It will get used slowly but surely!

9. I've got thousands of rounds of cordite loaded Indian KF67 and Iraqi. Not click bang like POF but as corrosive as battery acid and not accurate. Wouldnt fire it through a good barrel.

10. Periodically I think of tooling up to make it. Then dismiss the idea.

11. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Leave well alone. I still remember the boiling water through the barrel. Funnily enough, there is still a barrel water wash stand outside the ATSC at Bisley.

12. why is it that so much is shipped to the states? iv been told its not hard to find there. Why is there so little after all with sucha great empire I would have thought a lot of it would have been made

13. Most of the stuff is probably mixed lots. Poorly stored for 50 years and now click bang. I bought a case of 1917 CAC Mk6 .303, wall to wall click bangs and duds. Plenty of POF available buts its all crap as well. With .303 reloading is the way.

14. That seems a bit late for Mark 6. When did they stop making it? Presumably it was intended for the remaining CLLE's still in territorial service.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Years ago myself and a couple of lads from Wednesbury planned to win the lottery and set up a plant making .303, we wanted to call it the Warranted Ordnance Group so we could have WOG 303 as our headstamp. I have a lottery ticket for Friday! :D