.303" Chargers - Recommendations?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been shooting my 1915 SMLE for a couple of years now, and I've slowly been getting bits and bobs together to go with it for the range: a replica 1907 Pattern bayonet, a sling and a canvas valise. It's my birthday shortly and after some very heavy hinting I am going to be the proud owner of a replica 1903 Pattern 5 pouch leather bandolier, which will hold 10 chargers worth of .303" goodness and also be a damn sight better looking than my usual old ammo box. Now I need some more chargers...
1625227215931.png
1625227557795.png

Looking around ebay etc, the cost of chargers seems to have gone through the roof, most being on offer from Australia for silly money, and they appear to be rather thin on the ground in UK. I'm not bothered what pattern charger, I just want ten working ones so I can load up my bandolier and use them.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some reasonably priced chargers?

Cheers!

Often see them at mil flea markets and antiquey stuff stalls in SA. Last few I bought circa 2017 were around two quid each. Will keep a lookout for you when I get back from bits sandy, but you're not getting my original 1907 and bandolier.

War Hero
Considering Lardbeast said they were £2 in 2017 and they are £3 now on that site, you may search long and hard to save yourself a few quid.

You can find them for £2 each on ebay, but the £13 postage changes the economics.

If you dont want to spend £30 dont buy ten of them. Buy 5, and it will only be £15. ;)

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Considering Lardbeast said they were £2 in 2017 and they are £3 now on that site, you may search long and hard to save yourself a few quid.

You can find them for £2 each on ebay, but the £13 postage changes the economics.

If you dont want to spend £30 dont buy ten of them. Buy 5, and it will only be £15. ;)
Thanks for the incredibly helpful economics lesson but a year or so ago they were £8 for five IIRC. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Not you, obvs.

War Hero
Glad to be of help. I am really trying to point out that when you hang on and on looking for a better deal than all that is readily available on the market today then you sometimes miss even that price. You are already yearning for that missed opportunity of £8 for 5!

Now since you and Lardbeast were paying £16 or £20 for 10 a year or so ago - and almost everywhere charges postage on top and they all work out about £1 more.

By my reckoning, as 10 of them will last you a lifetime and probably as long as the weapon ( which is already over 100 years) there comes a point where trying to save up to £10 becomes a rather time consuming business.

Sun over the yard arm, you say? I am off to have two pints for my £10 :grin:

Avoid any marked GM I or GM II. I've got some GM III and GM IV's that are fine. These are all 5-round-hole ones (Mk.3 type - not all Mk.3 types are crap, but all the crap Italian chargers are Mk.3 type so just avoid if you're not sure).

Those are Italian ones made with "nearest metric size" sheet, so are a little too thick and give the problems the Seppos are always whingeing about (the US market seems to be flooded with them). Stick to Commonwealth-made and you'll wonder what they're always banging on about.

If you buy the Mk.4 types from Aus, they might be a little dear but they're worth it cos you know what you're getting.

Piekey

Swinger
I had no idea they were worth £3 each!

I always kept the clips but tossed the cloth bandoliers and cases.

How much do ww2 German stripper clips fetch?

Keep looking for a genuine leather bandolier. Those repro ones are gopping.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, after a fair bit of fleabay watching I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and paid £20 for ten Mk 4 chargers, which I've just received. They all seem to be in decent condition - 6 of them look brand spankers, 4 have minor wear marks but look perfectly functional. I'll give them all an oil soak and a wipe then load them up.

Blogg

LE
Picked up such a bandolier, which as far as I can tell was made in South Africa in 1942.

From the hide of a Rhino it seems.

Supposed to be soft leather but mine has stiffened up over time so can only close up with one charger per pocket.

One day I will get around to sorting it with a heavy dose of Neats Foot oil or something.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Finally got round to loading up my Mk 4 chargers, a couple were a little loose (remedied by a plier tweak), and they all fit with a little persuasion into my new bandolier:

1626438817172.png

With a little time and work, I'm confident the leather will give and form to allow easy closure:

1626438995459.png

Anyway, it looks the part:

1626439013944.png

Edit: Thanks to those who made recommendations!

Latest Threads