.303 & 7.62nato Ammunition

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Andy632, Aug 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of where I can get a reasonable quantity of .303 & 7.62nato surplus ammo at sensible prices.

Last .303 I've seen was the South African, Portuguese or Greek, any still about anywhere?

Bit fed up spending silly money on Privvy stuff.

I reload but can't be bothered for the .303 and lots of mates also have .303 rifles but don't reload so we're all looking. I'know it's getting a little bit like rocking horse excrement but surely there's some out there somewhere?

2. I think everyone is in the same boat. Even bulk buyers such as the NRA and big clubs cannot source ammo at reasonable prices.

The UK distributor for Privvy is enjoying his monopoly and really screwing the price. There are currently no other volume manufacturers of 303 apart from small-volume/mega price such as HPS and Kynoch. S&B reps told me that they no longer produce 303 at all, although I don't know if thats true or not.

Surplus 303 seems to have now gone for ever. One or two large caches overseas are known about by the professional bulk ammo dealers, but apparently its totally uneconomic to obtain due - apparently - to rafts of new EU and UN regulations.

762 has rapidly gone the same way, with batch overruns and pallet surplus now being used as MG link instead of being sold off.
  3. just who is the only supplier of privy partisan?
  4. Doesn't Pakistan/India still produce .303 for their police?
  5. Henry Kranks in West Yorkshire imports Prvi - apparently an ISO container's worth at a time. We all use Prvi, but it would be nice to have a choice. I will reload the calibre eventually, but who has the time?

I'm not a fan of Kranks - last year I was on holiday nearby and dropped in with a long shopping list. After being ignored for a long time, I eventually managed to establish that nothing on my list was in stock.

Unfortunately, we have to recognise that the worlwide demand for 0.303 is now tiny compared to the enormous demand for other calibres from the military and US hunting/recreational markets.
  6. I heard a rumour that the UK is now a signatory to some UN accord preventing the disposal of military surplus ammunition, by way of trade. So, if you do see any going, hit your overdraft and grab it quick. It might also be wise to stock up on your favourite powder and primers before any new regulations come into force...
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a fair bit set aside, all reasonable fmj and shedloads of empty boxer cases, going to stay that way as I only shoot soft point out of it now!
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Nice toy, I wonder how much to get set up and insured, be fun wouldnt it. We could recycle good brass and give a discount.

9. Probably about £15 - 20k to get set up if you already had premises etc. Might be a secondhand machine at that price. There's still the problem of cases and bullets. Recycled brass brings lots of problems on a commercial scale. Bullets are expensive unless you make your own I think.

You need one of these:

plus something to make the jackets and fit them together.
  10. I don't think anybody had ever made a go of commercial reloading in the west...

You could never achieve acceptable consistancy with once fired cases unless you could get them in large batch sizes. It is kk reloading your own components when you know where they have come from, but doing this commercially would be very difficult.

I think every commercial loader buys or makes cases new. I doubt whether you could get commercial insurance unless you did.

Your main costs would be in meeting COSHH/COER transport and storage requirements and the grief involved in importing components. Nobody makes propellent or primers in this country any more (Although Chemring at Ardeer are thinking about it!) I also don't think anyone is making bullets or cases in commercial quantities outside Radway Green (and I doubt if they would sell you any..)

If you then started employing anyone, H & S would be all over you like a rash. This may not be that much of a problem if you get an inspector that knows what he is talking about, but these are very thin on the ground..
  11. As 4T mentioned above, there are at least two commercial reloading companies in the UK - HPS Target Rifles and Kynamco. Both produce 0.303 and I'm sure it's top notch stuff. But it costs a lot more than Prvi. It would be nice to have an alternative volume commercial supplier.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Clubs used to sell reloads for use on club premises, not sure how legal it was. That said with the right financial backing you could do anything, my money is on the Euromillions.
  13. Don't know about HPS but Kynamco stuff is in new S&B brass, they don't reload it, I asked them to do 20,000 for me.
  14. Even club reloads that are sold on have to be done to CIP standards and batch tested by the proof house. Or so I undrestand.