• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

300 years since the last vote of no confidence

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
lLabour didn't bring shame upon the Office of Speaker. Gorbals Mick did.

He's out of touch with the country, the house, and possibly his political senses. But his treatment of Kate Hoey (amongst others) is what will possibly do for him.

Gorbals Micks an embarrasment and way, way out of his depth. Though there's a helluva lot of people in the House of Commons you could say that about these days :x

I'd love to see the thick, arrogant tool ousted.

Mr_Fingerz said:
lLabour didn't bring shame upon the Office of Speaker. Gorbals Mick did.

He's out of touch with the country, the house, and possibly his political senses. But his treatment of Kate Hoey (amongst others) is what will possibly do for him.
Absolutely right! He's an incompetent little fat yob (BTW this is not intended to be 'fattist' 'yobbist' 'littleist' or even 'incompetent-ist'! he just is)

Saw the story this morning in the (ahem) Guardian

Labour MPs call for Speaker to resign

And you're right ... his behaviour towards one of his own MPs (Kate Hoey) was deplorable 8O

I'll be amazed but pleased if it did come to a vote. There may be cross party support for this but I'll be surprised if enough Labour MPs come across at the vote. The whips would be out in force. Remember that Brown has already put in the comment about Martin doing "a good job". If Mick was to lose, it would be another dreadful example to all of Brown's misreading of a situation and of his lack of control over the Party.

One thing that might help give some Labour MPs stomach to risk the wraith of the Whips is if we get a run down of the Speakers claims in the papers over this weekend and they prove interesting..

Far more likely, we will hear a resignation announcement from Martin. That will lead the way for the "honourable" pay off, the peerage, to follow on later..........

Now, sacrificial lamb anyone? :D

in_the_cheapseats said:
I'll be amazed but pleased if it did come to a vote. There may be cross party support for this but I'll be surprised if enough Labour MPs come across at the vote. The whips would be out in force. Remember that Brown has already put in the comment about Martin doing "a good job". If Mick was to lose, it would be another dreadful example to all of Brown's misreading of a situation and of his lack of control over the Party.

One thing that might help give some Labour MPs stomach to risk the wraith of the Whips is if we get a run down of the Speakers claims in the papers over this weekend and they prove interesting..

Far more likely, we will hear a resignation announcement from Martin. That will lead the way for the "honourable" pay off, the peerage, to follow on later..........

Quoted from Michael White in today's Grauniad

"There is currently a great stink over the Speaker, Michael Martin, whose behaviour this week has fallen well below the level of events, and did so again yesterday. But it is a waste of time and effort to try to ease him out now. He will be gone in a few months time anyway.

My hunch will be that he will announced his intention to quit some time in the autumn – he's served two terms; that's standard – and will go shortly before polling day so that MPs can pick a new Speaker from the present crop of candidates whom they all know. There need not be a byelection (tradition dictates that the retiring Speaker resigns immediately as an MP) if he goes close to the general election, within three months."

Maybe - but the political imperative to be seen to do something about the culture of the Commons may suggest that a more robust approach is necessary. Doing nothing and letting the old windbag continue to a time of his own choosing may prove difficult.

in_the_cheapseats said:
Maybe - but the political imperative to be seen to do something about the culture of the Commons may suggest that a more robust approach is necessary. Doing nothing and letting the old windbag continue to a time of his own choosing may prove difficult.
Private Eye have had it in for Gorbels Mick for some time now but I was shocked when he cheerfully let Plod raid the Palace of Westminster (without a warrant mind you 8O !!!) Invited them in and allowed them search the offices of a Tory MP and arrest him for doing his job! :!:

(when, I may add, Gordon Brown's office openly and cheerfully leaked like a rusty colllander when he was in opposition!)

Parliamentary democracy anyone :?

Well... if our elected MPs do manage to eject Gorbals Mick on a vote of 'No Confidence', and he accepts the result and faroucks off... then, I will definatley believe in Santa Claus. Hopefully he, Santa Claus will do likewise to McRuin and Pals soon as ell.... :? :oops: :)

Wasn't it the Speakers exspenses claims that drew attention,and started all this in the first place? I bet he is as popular as a F@rt in a Space Suit!

in_the_cheapseats said:

I thought that the Whip could not be used in matters concerning The Speaker, but I may well be wrong (nothing unusual in that!).

More interesting however is the political conundrum that will take place if he is ousted.

He has been elected as a member of the house, but has no political mandate as he was elected as "Speaker Seeking Re-election".

Will he therefore be obliged to either take "The Chiltern Hundreds" and thus force a by-election, or sit as an Independent until the next dissolution?

Since this has not happened for quite a long time it could cause some rather amusing constitutional fun!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
He's going to hang on, despite votes of no confidence and various putches until he 'officially' retires. Want to know why? Because he gets £100,000 worth of kick-backs from the taxpayer if he does - on top of his gold-plated pension.

The cunt!

Gremlin said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

I thought that the Whip could not be used in matters concerning The Speaker, but I may well be wrong (nothing unusual in that!).
You may well be right but I bet that Labour Central Control will be pulling out all the stops in the interest of self preservation, no matter how right or wrong that is in regard to House convention or rules.......

He is the personification of everything that is wrong with this country and the political system. He has been the most partisan speaker I can ever recall.

I hope he does try to hang on because with him in office, more and more damage will be done to Broon and his cronies.

It's bad enough the Glaswegian theif i corrupt and dishonest.. he's f*cking useless at his job too, like his mate Gordon.

Martin is a typical example of his pedigree. He is an old-style union rabble rouser who is used to getting his own way by bullying and intimidation. His parliamentary behaviour is reminiscent of Scargill.
If I remember rightly Blair broke with tradition by appointing another Labour MP when tradition has it that the Speaker's position alternates between Government and Official Opposition. Perhaps Blair preferred not to have such an obnoxious man directly under his control?

Latest Threads