300 years since the last vote of no confidence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_Rattler, May 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

lLabour didn't bring shame upon the Office of Speaker. Gorbals Mick did.

He's out of touch with the country, the house, and possibly his political senses. But his treatment of Kate Hoey (amongst others) is what will possibly do for him.
  2. It'll do for a start.
    An awful lot more than just that tw@t need to loose their jobs though
  3. If they're old enough to bleed, they're old enough to slaughter.
  4. Gorbals Micks an embarrasment and way, way out of his depth. Though there's a helluva lot of people in the House of Commons you could say that about these days :x

I'd love to see the thick, arrogant tool ousted.
  5. Absolutely right! He's an incompetent little fat yob (BTW this is not intended to be 'fattist' 'yobbist' 'littleist' or even 'incompetent-ist'! he just is)

Saw the story this morning in the (ahem) Guardian

Labour MPs call for Speaker to resign

And you're right ... his behaviour towards one of his own MPs (Kate Hoey) was deplorable 8O
  6. Poli = many
    Tics = Nasty bloodsucking creatures

Politics = ?
  7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'll be amazed but pleased if it did come to a vote. There may be cross party support for this but I'll be surprised if enough Labour MPs come across at the vote. The whips would be out in force. Remember that Brown has already put in the comment about Martin doing "a good job". If Mick was to lose, it would be another dreadful example to all of Brown's misreading of a situation and of his lack of control over the Party.

One thing that might help give some Labour MPs stomach to risk the wraith of the Whips is if we get a run down of the Speakers claims in the papers over this weekend and they prove interesting..

Far more likely, we will hear a resignation announcement from Martin. That will lead the way for the "honourable" pay off, the peerage, to follow on later..........

Now, sacrificial lamb anyone? :D
  8. Quoted from Michael White in today's Grauniad

"There is currently a great stink over the Speaker, Michael Martin, whose behaviour this week has fallen well below the level of events, and did so again yesterday. But it is a waste of time and effort to try to ease him out now. He will be gone in a few months time anyway.

My hunch will be that he will announced his intention to quit some time in the autumn – he's served two terms; that's standard – and will go shortly before polling day so that MPs can pick a new Speaker from the present crop of candidates whom they all know. There need not be a byelection (tradition dictates that the retiring Speaker resigns immediately as an MP) if he goes close to the general election, within three months."
  9. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Maybe - but the political imperative to be seen to do something about the culture of the Commons may suggest that a more robust approach is necessary. Doing nothing and letting the old windbag continue to a time of his own choosing may prove difficult.
  10. Private Eye have had it in for Gorbels Mick for some time now but I was shocked when he cheerfully let Plod raid the Palace of Westminster (without a warrant mind you 8O !!!) Invited them in and allowed them search the offices of a Tory MP and arrest him for doing his job! :!:

(when, I may add, Gordon Brown's office openly and cheerfully leaked like a rusty colllander when he was in opposition!)

Parliamentary democracy anyone :?
  11. Well... if our elected MPs do manage to eject Gorbals Mick on a vote of 'No Confidence', and he accepts the result and faroucks off... then, I will definatley believe in Santa Claus. Hopefully he, Santa Claus will do likewise to McRuin and Pals soon as ell.... :? :oops: :)
  12. Wasn't it the Speakers exspenses claims that drew attention,and started all this in the first place? I bet he is as popular as a F@rt in a Space Suit!
  13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I thought that the Whip could not be used in matters concerning The Speaker, but I may well be wrong (nothing unusual in that!).

More interesting however is the political conundrum that will take place if he is ousted.

He has been elected as a member of the house, but has no political mandate as he was elected as "Speaker Seeking Re-election".

Will he therefore be obliged to either take "The Chiltern Hundreds" and thus force a by-election, or sit as an Independent until the next dissolution?

Since this has not happened for quite a long time it could cause some rather amusing constitutional fun!
  14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Or, he could just absent himself from the house until the next election (drawing pay and rations all the while).