300 Tdi Discovery problem

Bixslade

Old-Salt
Opinions/advice on the following Discovery problem would be appreciated.......

Farmer friend has a 300Tdi Disco with 212,000 miles on the clock. Won't rev over 3000rpm and has no power. below 3000 its fine. Local independent dealer has looked at it and can't find anything wrong. So far i've been told that the following have been checked and are ok:

Air filter is clean
Turbo hoses aren't collapsing under load and turbo is ok
Fuel filter has been checked
Intercooler is clear etc etc

I've not checked the above myself so who knows what state the car is in. Is the fuel pump mechanical on the 300 series motor?. Someone has suggested that the pump may be the problem .

EGR valve - remove or blank off
Check inlet manifold as a build up of soot and oil can restrict flow
Pump is mechanical .
Change the fuel filter , looking at it won't tell you if it's blocked . Blow back down the lines with an air line to ensure no crap lodged in the pipe.
Try running a new fuel supply via gravity to the FIP ( hose and a fuel can ? )
Could be the lift pump- not sure if it's mechanical or electric ( pump in the fuel tank ) , I think the pipe work is plastic and can crack so it sucks a bit of air .
The local independent seems as much use as a chocolate fireguard , take it his local Tractor dealer
Tell him to buy a Toyota Landcruiser ;-)

See post 29 on landyzone then read my post .......

Bolox to style when you are broken down in the middle of nowhere in the pishing rain , let alone where we go in the 80 series.....did I mention 3 proper diff locks ..... Disco is only 2WD if you get it cross axled , I'll take the reliable and Jap bit thank you ;-)
BTW - have owned several R Rovers , and 90's .

I haven't read the links posted above but Depends on the year of it what the OBD port will tell you. (If you haven't had it read already) If it's the drive by wire model OBD code might show if there's a problem there. (OBD port Looks like an old printer port near the clutch pedal) I think?

See post 29 on landyzone then read my post .......

Bolox to style when you are broken down in the middle of nowhere in the pishing rain , let alone where we go in the 80 series.....did I mention 3 proper diff locks ..... Disco is only 2WD if you get it cross axled , I'll take the reliable and Jap bit thank you ;-)
BTW - have owned several R Rovers , and 90's .
Ah ha! My bad. Post 29 it is, not 25. Serves me right for not checking my typing. Sorry.

Oh, not doubting the reliability of the Jap stuff, won't knock 'em for that. My Betsy has always got something wrong with her. In the last 12 months she has set me back for a warped exhaust manifold, leaking core plug, XYZ Switch (over £400 for the part alone), 3 failed door locks, a broken exhaust (it just sheered off at the back box for some reason) and just two weeks ago the water pump failed and she went off on the back of a lorry to be fixed.

Does she drive me nuts? Oh yes. Do I want to get rid of her? Only for an L322.

Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment, but no matter what I am never, ever going to have a reliable Jap machine. They just don't float my boat.

I fully accept that there is a reason that LR lost its market share to the Land Cruiser in places like Africa and Austrailia, but, and it's a big but, there is no style or class to them. It's like a Casio and and a Rolex. You know that the Casio will do the job, it will tell the time and a dozen other functions and run off the power of the sun for the next 50 years. The Rolex will keep, relatively, poor time (in comparison), it wil need servicing (expensive servicing at that) and will stop if you take if off your wrist for a day or two. But, which would you rather be wearing down your club?

The Casio. I will then sit and listen to those with more money than sense, moan about how much their Rolex has cost them to repair, whilst my g-shock goes on forever.

Last edited:

Farmer friend has a 300Tdi Disco with 212,000 miles on the clock. Won't rev over 3000rpm and has no power. below 3000 its fine. Local independent dealer has looked at it and can't find anything wrong. So far i've been told that the following have been checked and are ok:

Air filter is clean
Turbo hoses aren't collapsing under load and turbo is ok
Fuel filter has been checked
Intercooler is clear etc etc

I've not checked the above myself so who knows what state the car is in. Is the fuel pump mechanical on the 300 series motor?. Someone has suggested that the pump may be the problem .

I would suspect the lift pump, I have had similar with a 300tdi defender. Its mounted on the Engine block, It has a manual pump lever.

Open the bleed screw on the fuel filter and pump the lever it should feel a bit stiff and push fuel through. If not its probably buggered.

Note it has to sit on the cam so you may need to turn the engine a couple of times to get it in the right position.

When you rev hard can you hear a buzzing that overruns lifting off the throttle. If so its pretty much definite is the lift pump, that buzzing is because the high pressure pump valve is flapping in air.

Forlorn Hope

Old-Salt
Also check the electric lift pump fitted to the tank. The pipes rot, in symphony with the floor.

My old hobby horse again, but I ran a mixed fleet of 200tdi's and Landcruisers in the Murzuk and Wadi Barjuj areas of Libya in my seismic days and the underpowered Landy still got places the 4ltr Tojo wouldn't look at and were easier to maintain. The Tojo drivers were considerably more expert with a shovel as well. I will admit though that the 300tdi's I got were a lot more trouble than the 200's were.

Ah ha! My bad. Post 29 it is, not 25. Serves me right for not checking my typing. Sorry.

Oh, not doubting the reliability of the Jap stuff, won't knock 'em for that. My Betsy has always got something wrong with her. In the last 12 months she has set me back for a warped exhaust manifold, leaking core plug, XYZ Switch (over £400 for the part alone), 3 failed door locks, a broken exhaust (it just sheered off at the back box for some reason) and just two weeks ago the water pump failed and she went off on the back of a lorry to be fixed.

Does she drive me nuts? Oh yes. Do I want to get rid of her? Only for an L322.

Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment, but no matter what I am never, ever going to have a reliable Jap machine. They just don't float my boat.

I fully accept that there is a reason that LR lost its market share to the Land Cruiser in places like Africa and Austrailia, but, and it's a big but, there is no style or class to them. It's like a Casio and and a Rolex. You know that the Casio will do the job, it will tell the time and a dozen other functions and run off the power of the sun for the next 50 years. The Rolex will keep, relatively, poor time (in comparison), it wil need servicing (expensive servicing at that) and will stop if you take if off your wrist for a day or two. But, which would you rather be wearing down your club?
You are not wrong, my 300TDI 90 looked way cooler than the landcruiser , the 80 series is massively over engineered and has enough power to flatten anything that gets in the way and with a 2 inch lift and OME underpinnings floats over bumps and washboard roads all day with no rattle's or squeaks or dust seeping in through door seals etc, but I can't help sometimes feeling a little jealous of all the Landy owners smiling and waving as they pass each other

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tell your bird who bought the Disco to take it back and get whatever cash she can from the thieving Pikey bastard who sold her it. Take the cash and buy a Defender. Then go forth an terrify drivers of lesser cars.

Sorted.

Tell your bird who bought the Disco to take it back and get whatever cash she can from the thieving Pikey bastard who sold her it. Take the cash and buy a Defender. Then go forth and act as a mobile chicane on all single carriageways and annoy the life out of drivers of faster cars as you struggle to maintain speeds of 50 MPH if you don't want to stop at every service station you come to.

Sorted.
Small edit for accuracy

2/51

LE
Farmer friend has a 300Tdi Disco with 212,000 miles on the clock. .
Donate to Duxford...I am amazed it still has a body after that may miles!! My thing was rotted through at 100,00 and had to be scraped as the body mounts had rusted throuh and the chassis/body seperated going down a steep hill.

Still loved it though :)

Donate to Duxford...I am amazed it still has a body after that may miles!! My thing was rotted through at 100,00 and had to be scraped as the body mounts had rusted throuh and the chassis/body seperated going down a steep hill.

Still loved it though :)
I saw one nose in off a sand dune, not a particularly bad landing* On inspection I initially thought he had knackered his engine mounts as bulkhead and motor were touching, on closer inspection it was the entire body that had moved forwards on the chassis.
Back in the UK he had a new (read recycled from accident) shell bolted onto his sound chassis.

* Unlike mine, 20 ft drop straight onto it front, had we not bounced off my steering guard that acted like a boat hull, it would probably have smashed my suspension mounts through the floor, sure it did bend my front prop a touch though ( We knew you had fucked up when we saw daylight under all 4 wheels ).

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
whenever farmers are mentioned alongside mechanical things I always have that fear of getting involved!!!
they do have the habit of using vehicles hard with no preventative maintenance, they wait till it breaks ( usually more expensive)
having stupidly purchased a car from a farmer I know exactly what bodgers many of them are
yesterday I was working on the electrical supply to some outbuildings on a local farm
the old geezer always makes me laugh
when I have finished he never fails to turn up with some clapped out bit of scrap purchased at a farm sale and asking me to fix it as its have an hour or so left and its not worth going to another job is it !!!!
yesterday it was the lawnmower a ride on job, I was cutting the meadow and the blades stopped ?? it must be electrical
so half an hour wasted, no manual handy, found some idiot had disconnected three safety interlinks to prevent you cutting your toes off !!
sorted that
checked all the electrics and it ran ok but no cutter
got under neath and the drive gear for the belt to the cutter was shattered ? why because another idiot had removed the protective cover as it kept jamming after being whacked on rocks
told him to scrap it
they also have a habit of storing worn out broken things like cars, motorcycles, tractors, generators etc in the corner of some field of barn and thinking that leaving it for 10 year will have cured the fault
thats why horses were invented
simple and easy to maintain for farmers and not too fast

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Small edit for accuracy
Well yes, technically. But an honest British Defender will have the wing mirrors brayed off. Which makes it difficult to give a rats arse what is going on behind. Even if one gave a rats arse in the first place.

I always replace my mirrors, nothing warms the cockles more than seeing a 5 mile tail back consisting of entirely of Caravaners as you race along at speeds approaching 45 MPH in a series Landy.

4(T)

LE
I'm looking to buy a Defender right now.

I know they are utter shite quality, cost a fortune in fuel, and have maintenance/driving hours ratio similar to an F35, but I want one anyway. They're chaps' cars.

I tried to explain to my wife the allure of the cramped driving position, the rain coming in everywhere, the smells, the strange noises, the furnace heat from the transmission tunnel, the mirrors swinging loose or blurring out; the pathetic scrapy 1950s windscreen wipers, the submarine road visibility, the manly camaraderie of the Land Rover repair forums, etc... I think I have her almost convinced.

I'm looking to buy a Defender right now.

I know they are utter shite quality, cost a fortune in fuel, and have maintenance/driving hours ratio similar to an F35, but I want one anyway. They're chaps' cars.

I tried to explain to my wife the allure of the cramped driving position, the rain coming in everywhere, the smells, the strange noises, the furnace heat from the transmission tunnel, the mirrors swinging loose or blurring out; the pathetic scrapy 1950s windscreen wipers, the submarine road visibility, the manly camaraderie of the Land Rover repair forums, etc... I think I have her almost convinced.
Buy the best 300TDI you can find or at a push a TD5 one , the newer ones have a stupid great big centre heater and dash thingy instead of the useful shelf.... (where if it's a proper Landy you keep assorted shotgun and rifle rounds , old syringes and needles from injecting cows/sheep/horses , several lengths of bale twine , rusty 6 inch nails and several unidentified parts of old farm machinery ).... and opening flaps to let fresh air in ....... also newer ones have a Transit engine that sits too high in the engine bay to allow for the sump to clear the front axle

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sundog Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 6
wells598 Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 0
commzmeanzbombz Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 19

Latest Threads