300 based on fact at all?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by allyjs, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As my ancient Greek history is shite, when I was watching the film for the first time last night, I was wondering if there is any truth in the story.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Not much in the version they produced.

The phalanx tactic, professional discipline and superior personal body armour saw the 300 hold a small front against massive numbers - what you saw was a bunch of oiled up guys wearing only leather thongs, breaking ranks and swinging away like tennis players......

... if you liked it you must be a homo :wink:
  3. Try here: Battle of Thermopylae Thermopylae was referred to in the film as "Hot Columns" or some other rubbish (apparently the US audience might not have understood the Greek name, although there are ancient placenames in use in the USA (eg Syracuse))

I think the director took this statue too literally:

Although in reality the whole film was a means of increasing sales of Belgian chocolates: it was meant to be a viral ad, but it got out of hand.
  4. I think that film holds some kind of record for most amount of boobs (male and female) on screen...
  5. I was really disappointed with the film.

It had the groundings to be an epic, but someone say 'Spparrta' with a Motherwell accent was a bit pants.

Fcukin nails though, them Spartans
  6. 300 is really a film version of the Frank Miller comic books (sorry graphic novels) of that title loosely based around the Battle of Thermopylae and the Spartan culture.

so it is fact based crap.

When it came to it there were 300 Spartans but also 700 Thespian volunteers, 400 Theban soldiers who were not entirely happy to be there and 900 Helots who as serfs of the Spartans did not really have a lot of choice. But 2300 does not have the same ring to it.

The critical flaw in the film though is that in reality the Spartans did not have chest and back waxing facilities available.
  7. there definately was a leonidas and a xerxes and a battle at hermopalae.
  8. there was a much earlier film, called the 300 Spartans with Richard Egan filmed in 1962, oldie but a goldie !.
  9. Also another possible flaw being, I don't think maximuscle and creatine was readily available in ancient Greece.
  10. It's loosely based on a quiet night out I had with a few mates. I say loosely because there was only about 20 of us, but hey, that's not what the police report or the defiled virgins said!

T C
  11. War nerd (fat bloke, but often a good read) has an interesting piece here discussing the historical depictions of the man-loving Spartans in 300...
  12. It's a loose portrayal of historic events according to the greeks. Ask the persians and I'm sure they have a different take on it.

One of the things the movie did do correctly is show that they were not alone and while the movie shows a handful, they had help from the thesbians, and other groups that fought alongside them.

I think the movie was sort of short on content but the visuals are spectacular. And I mean the effects, not the homo-erotic leather jockstrap wearing guys in capes.
  13. As well as being perhaps the gayest movie in years 300 is packed with historical errors but is fairly faithful to the comic it was based on.

Wiki has this:
    VDH above offers a fair defense but the film is really doesn't do the Spartans justice. They were a dreadful lot that would have made the Nazis queasy.

One key scene that really disappointed me was the Spartan rights of passage ritual. The historical version is much more interesting.
    Comparisons have been made with the Salafi Jihadis and Spartans: fanatically religious, long haired, preening nonces with an often suicidal approach to battle.

I'd recommend Persian Fire: The First World Empire, Battle for the West. Holland rightly sees the Greeks as a very eccentric group on the fringe of a great hegemonic Empire that brushed off this particular series of scuffles largely unaffected. Rather like the Taliban confronting America today.

The Spartans eventually sided with the Persians to crush Athens. It would be centuries before the Macedonian conquered both Greece and Persia.