30 year old joining the infantry.

Hello

As the title says, is this fairly common? I've heard of several guys joining the Royal Marines and the Paras at this age.

Would I be expected to leave after I have served the minimum amount of time?

I would like to apply for the Royal Regiment of Scotland, preferably 1,2 or 3 SCOTS. Are these Battalions full/have waiting lists?

Do you transfer between the battalions throughout your career?

Considering my age, education (I have a degree... just like everyone else these days) and life experience, could I look forward to faster promotions or are promotions based on time served as well as on merit?

Thank you for taking the time to read/reply

You'll be judged on merit from the moment you walk through the door. You will, of course, currently be spending your time in the gym before you join up. A few lessons in boxing would not go amiss either.
Good luck in your new career.

You'll be judged on merit from the moment you walk through the door. You will, of course, currently be spending your time in the gym before you join up. A few lessons in boxing would not go amiss either.
Good luck in your new career.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i'm currently a fan of plyometrics, on day 42 of the Insanity program... loving it! Why boxing? Is it a popular sport in the Royal Regiment of Scotland?

M

Mark The Convict

Why boxing? Is it a popular sport in the Royal Regiment of Scotland?
More a pastime, I think you'll find...seriously, it's good fitness training, good for self-confidence, and you'll meet some right punchy bastards before too long.

30 not too old. You will be offered a 12 year engagement if you pass CIC. Vacancies in all SCOTS battalions.

There's a good book by a man who joined The Royal Green Jackets at 30 - Squaddie by Steven McLaughlin, it's a good read too. My opinion FWIW is that fitness is 90% of what you will need to get through. Good luck.

O

OJEM_UK84

I am joining the Infantry and I will be 28. Got my look at life course next week with the CG and can't wait. i think it's good to have a varied age range across the board, as long as us oldies keep on top of our fitness then there shouldn't be a problem!

There's a good book by a man who joined The Royal Green Jackets at 30 - Squaddie by Steven McLaughlin, it's a good read too. My opinion FWIW is that fitness is 90% of what you will need to get through. Good luck.
What that book where the bloke whinged the whole time?? good bloke...

Hey ojem. Are you attending this Tuesday at pirbright? If so i will be there aswell. I'm 22 and thought I would be one of the older guys!!

Rhine company 1 scots are an excellent bunch. Proud to have worked for them a while ago. As for joining late:
Fitness
Fitness
FITNESS!!!!!
All the rest will fall into place.

O

OJEM_UK84

I will see you at Pirbright Taylor15! i know there is going to be a 25 year old there too, so it looks like you are going to be one of the younger ones :) PM me if you can think of anything before Tuesday. OJEM

What that book where the bloke whinged the whole time?? good bloke...
Steve's on here from time to time and he's well able to defend himself. But as I recommended 'Squaddie' I'll tell you that my impression of it is entirely different to yours. And yes, he does come across as a good bloke.

Thanks for the replies.

If I get into 1,2 or 3 Scots, how often will I go on tour/exercises? Is is once a year? Every 18 months?

Going to visit the AFCO on Tuesday!

Join the Armoured Corps. Why walk when you can drive? If you're too thick to understand that dynamic, perhaps you deserve to walk 40 miles to sleep in a shellscrape.Simples.

Nice to know some other oldies joining, I`m 31 this month and start basic in July. I see people are saying work on fitness, I ran the 1.5 mile at selection in 9.06, I`m joining the RE and would like to know how much I need to improve?
Thanks in advance