30 year old, interested in Officer Reserves, ACL injury

P-Ride

Old-Salt
Hey, in a nutshell, I applied for Regs as an officer around aged 24/25.

I went to main board, was sponsored by the Royal Anglians, but didn't pass (fudged the assault course due to poor agility, I'm very heavy-set) but passed all fitness tests and had good reports for current affairs etc.

Life was a little chaotic, with my parents amidst a messy divorce and I was a slightly troubled chap at the time, in retrospect. The age limited was lowered down to 26 and I was essentially out of the process.

Since then, I've gone into the software industry, in sales, where I've built up a good career, have a decent salary and have bought my own apartment. Moreover, I've matured well and am a much warmer, more confident person than I was aged 25. I'm particularly known for being good at presentations and have coached others in this area.

Whilst I enjoy adventure sports such as snowboarding and kitesurfing and get to travel a reasonable amount, I've always felt a pull towards the Army, particularly in terms of the prospect of leading men. I made more friends in my weekends visiting regiments, than anywhere else I've ever been.

Additionally, I've come to increasingly value the Army and its values, in context of the current political landscape.

Unfortunately, I have a ruptured ACL, which I blew out snowboarding a few years back. I still play plenty of sports with it, but am aware it would need to be repaired and (I believe?) two years wait before going in?

I've toyed with whether to get a reconstruction for a while.. this (even speculatively) would be a good reason to do so.

I'm strong, confident, a little overweight (all weights, no cardio), but have already started running and cutting calories, to get my weight down.

It seems the Army is interested in building its reserves, so would have some interest in someone like me (with a fixed knee and fitness back up?)

(Actually I've heard the reg's age limit, having dropped from 28 to 26, is now up to 30?!

In any event, if I had my ACL reconstruction tomorrow, I'd be 32 before eligible.. and then, aged 32 on a sub £30k salary, alongside 23 year olds.)

- What are the age limits for someone like me to join as a reserve officer? I've read anything between 35 and 50?
- I'm in Cambridge, what sort of regiments might be interested in someone going in as a reserve officer, in their thirties?
- What are the likely commitments, roles and responsibilities?
- What's the deal with my ACL? Reconstruction + two years?

Many thanks

HE117

LE
Depending on your background, R Sigs or Int Corps may be interested in you in the Cyber role..

Medical.. can't say! You need to pass the medical and be capable of passing the annual fitness tests. The only way you will find out is to ask!

32 MI is at Coldhams Lane..

Maybe worth giving them a ring and having a chat!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Holy thread resurrection :p

I hope the OP wasn't waiting on the answer

Depending on your background, R Sigs or Int Corps may be interested in you in the Cyber role..

Medical.. can't say! You need to pass the medical and be capable of passing the annual fitness tests. The only way you will find out is to ask!

32 MI is at Coldhams Lane..

Maybe worth giving them a ring and having a chat!
You may have to speak up, chap-the OP hasn't logged on for nearly 4 years :cool:

HE117

LE
Oops..!

Must check the date.. mutter mutter... (..and stop clicking links in the thread starter!)

Latest Threads