30 million GBP to dispose of MLRS Bomblets

'£30m' to destroy cluster devices

By Angus Crawford, BBC News

The Ministry of Defence is storing more than 28 million explosives from cluster bombs, the BBC has learned.

They have been withdrawn from service and are to be destroyed. Some were only mothballed this year after the UK signed a treaty banning the weapons.

It is thought disposing of them will cost more than £30m. The UK government says it shows how concerned it is about the weapons.

But campaigners want countries like the US to ban them as well.

More at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7602933.stm

waste of money, i would have just used them all in Afghan. that would have killed two stones with one bird

This really gets on my tits! Yes cluster bombs sometimes don’t explode, and sometimes they get picked up and some poor soul loses and arm. You know what? THAT’S THE POINT! It’s called the long term cost of messing with us!

BTW, France is in a similar position with over 22,000 M26 rockets to destroy and a ban on using them...PC madness at its best.

roadster280 said:
Regardless of whether the decision to retire them is right or not, why would it cost GBP30M to do so?

Why not just expend the rounds on an impact area? Where is the risk? Or take them to that barren rock island in Scotland (forget the name of it, but the crabs bomb it to death), and just explode them. Quite a bit cheaper than 30M!!!
Or the Iraqi Western Desert?

Attachments

roadster280 said:
Or take them to that barren rock island in Scotland (forget the name of it, but the crabs bomb it to death), and just explode them. Quite a bit cheaper than 30M!!!
Tain ranges.

£30m??????? This is utterly ridiculous. Just do what we normally do, drop it into the sea, preferably a very deep bit. The same bit we have been dropping out of date ammo into from LSLs for years.

Garvey Island? Not sure it is the right sort of impact area for CBUs.

Now the fleet of civil service gas guzzlers tearing down the autobahn from Bham to London bomblet.

RC

roadster280 said:
Regardless of whether the decision to retire them is right or not, why would it cost GBP30M to do so?

Why not just expend the rounds on an impact area? Where is the risk? Or take them to that barren rock island in Scotland (forget the name of it, but the crabs bomb it to death), and just explode them. Quite a bit cheaper than 30M!!!
Look no further than BAE and Qinuseless here...

These need to be broken down - you typically get around 20% blinds if you dem them (or use them).

That said, £30M is frankly taking the p1ss...

Yet more dosh into John Chisholm's pocket perhaps?

roadster280 said:
Why not just expend the rounds on an impact area? Where is the risk?
Would you want to do LFTT on that stretch of impact area afterwards? I know what my answer would be! You can Foxtrot Oscar!!!!!!

Pocoyo said:
£30m??????? This is utterly ridiculous. Just do what we normally do, drop it into the sea, preferably a very deep bit. The same bit we have been dropping out of date ammo into from LSLs for years.
This gets my vote! Or fire them in the general direction of calais.......... :D

Whiskybreath said:
Anyone want to join me in a bid to dispose of this stuff for, say, £20m?
Unless that's 30p to dispose of the ordinance and a £19,999,999.70 donation to the Labour Party you wouldn't stand a chance of getting the contract.

I go with Mr_Deputy's suggestion of levelling Birmingham during their visit. Can't see a down side to that one.

Cluster bombs banned eh? I suppose they'll be banning napalm bombs and phosphorous munitions next.