Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

30 mile distance limits for over 70’s?

Get the dangerous bastards off the roads. Make em do a test every year at least to prove themselves
At 55 you are considered by some as one of the inconsiderate grumpy old farts who are part of the problem, don't be to hasty to condemn, your time will come, and believe me, its not pleasant to realise that you are now part of that problem, as seen in the eyes of the young, government, the medical profession, and the pension office. There but for the grace of god go you. ....welcome to the club...old man! :cheers:

There used to be an old bloke in Spalding, disabled but bought one of those road legal tractors the size of a ride on lawnmower.
He took enormous delight in leaving home at the start of rush hour and pootling along at 5mph, annoying everybody else on the road.

At 55 you are considered by some as one of the inconsiderate grumpy old farts who are part of the problem, don't be to hasty to condemn, your time will come, and believe me, its not pleasant to realise that you are now part of that problem, as seen in the eyes of the young, government, the medical profession, and the pension office. There but for the grace of god go you. ....welcome to the club...old man! :cheers:
Not a bite but I'm way older than that and still a blue lights driver. Most of the elderly drivers I encounter are fine. But quite a few are dithery as ****. I think it's up to those who can do it to prove it rather than us just give blanket coverage to whatever age incorporating the bad ones

Not happening

This guy is 80, and we have to have exemptions to national policy for his convenience don't we?

iu

Yeah agreed and I think that professional approach needs to be extended to amateur drivers of a certain age

Thats fair.

As it happens I had a meeting (online these days) with our insurers risk mitigation people a month or so ago.
One of the key focuses was about ageing drivers and the likes of medicals and eye test in particular, along with assesment drives periodically

Doesn't have to be any more complicated than reading a number plate at a decent distance.

The other bit that surprised me was that drug use risk increases with age.

Not a bite but I'm way older than that and still a blue lights driver. Most of the elderly drivers I encounter are fine. But quite a few are dithery as ****. I think it's up to those who can do it to prove it rather than us just give blanket coverage to whatever age incorporating the bad ones
55 is what came up on your avatar icon. I agree on your statement that it should be proven that you are still safe and considerate, however, as stated up thread, it might well be a case of the thin edge of the wedge, leading on to more putative legislation , when you consider the rush to get us all into electric motors, and the phasing out of petrol, and i suspect diesel cars.

55 is what came up on your avatar icon. I agree on your statement that it should be proven that you are still safe and considerate, however, as stated up thread, it might well be a case of the thin edge of the wedge, leading on to more putative legislation , when you consider the rush to get us all into electric motors, and the phasing out of petrol, and i suspect diesel cars.
Ah sorry for the confusion don't know what happened there... wrong side of 60 now.
Agreed about creeping legislation, it needs to be watched.... but some of these old dukes and dutchess need reassessment they scare me how bad (some) of them are

Thats fair.

As it happens I had a meeting (online these days) with our insurers risk mitigation people a month or so ago.
One of the key focuses was about ageing drivers and the likes of medicals and eye test in particular, along with assesment drives periodically

Doesn't have to be any more complicated than reading a number plate at a decent distance.

The other bit that surprised me was that drug use risk increases with age.
Prescription or illicit haha